Acoustic cameras' tested in bid to cut noisy vehicles

noticed this on the BBC web site

"Motorists with vehicles breaching legal noise limits could face fines if new "acoustic camera" technology is developed, the government has said.The Department for Transport will test noise-detecting cameras in various locations over the next seven months"

wow what a great future to look forward to,styling on those are second to none.human race is getting less and less intelligent as computers driverless cars self parking etc take over.now its too noisy,wonder if the same rules apply to aircraft/trains and even power tools.

be aswell calling it a communist state.

7 hours ago, slybunda said:

this is just to stop chavs using bee stinger exhausts or drilled out back boxes. a good thing actually if it clamps down motorcycles which i find to be the noisiest on the road.

Different experiences. Round the back of the house I live at is a motorway. Cars by far are the noisiest/most frequently noisiest. 

However, I think this is just an absolute stupid idea. It won't do anything, as said above, people will just coast past them. Leading to the main concern, yet ANOTHER big waste of tax payers money. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

Noise is a problem to me when cars/bikes go screaming past my window at full revs at 3 in the morning - it's a 30 limit residential area with people asleep FFS.  Sadly the irresponsibility of a few ruins it for the many like me who keep it quiet round houses at night.

• Sad 1

Not that I can be bothered to read the comments of online news articles anymore (the world is a scary place) but I'd be interested to hear what the majority of the population i.e non car people have to say about this

I'd imagine it's pretty well received? :blink:

21 hours ago, bazz54 said:

Agreed, a good road car should not make any great amount of noise, except in Chav-land.

Ummm..yeah,sorry about that.No speed limits,small children or animals were harmed in the making of this film.

Definitely a clutch-dipping situation in built up areas for me.Just as well it only comes out of its lair infrequently.

Edited by Sherv
  • Like 3

hopefully the non car folk will think like most,what a waste of time effort and money,it would better to give them free bus passes,providing there electric

wonder how it can be enforced someone like Dan could be firing his banned firearms at the time a car goes past the acoustic cameras,will it also work on loud music playing in the car

• Haha 1

Perhaps the Government (whoever that will be at some stage) would be better taking the TV License rulings back from the thieves at the BBC and not force my 84 year old mum to pay £150 a year from next year,to watch her telly just because she doesnt quite qualify for Pension Credit.And shes still hardly a pot to p*** in.There's always somewhere more worthwhile to spend money.Certainly not with a bloated Stone Age out of date,celebrity-overpaying bunch of Nazis like the BBC.

Anyway.Carry on.

Edited by Sherv
  • Like 1

I think Tabba's cousin might have some footage of the exhaust DB checks he was doing at Japshow. That might be fun to see just how "chavvy" we all are :D

At 4 - 5k/RPM I was in the 90's But bouncing off the rev limiter I think I was up there with the Rotrex'd boys :blink: and I thought my exhaust was kinda quiet.

I suppose if they stick them in built up areas, 20-30mph zones, with a reasonable limit they should only get the most "anti-social" of exhausts since if you're ragging it through those areas then you deserve the fine. Sorry.

But they won't, they will look at catching the most people so put them where people are more likely to put their foot down so they can recoup as much money as possible (not to mention make a bit on top)

• Like 1

I can see a lot of problems with this from a technology perspective

Firstly there's lots of different types of vehicles (cars, motorbikes, HGVs, tractors) all which output different levels of volume so there would need to be a database of every type of vehicle and car and the standard output to compare the sound to unless they go for an all around 100dB or so. There's going to be Ferraris or imported muscle cars which are loud as standard, and then Corsas with straight through exhausts. Even a lot of the newer hot hatches like Fiesta STs seem to be designed to pop and bang from stock nowadays. Another issue might be the ambient interference noise such as the wind, thunder, passing jet, motorbike on the other side of the road, HGV beeping horn on the other side of the road as you pass the camera etc. Something else that comes to mind was when I had my imported MR2 turbo it did not show up as an import on the DVLA database but imports have different regulations on cats and sound levels

Exhaust noise is related to RPM or acceleration, my catback is loud under acceleration or at high RPM, but cruising at 60mph without accelerating or even going into neutral as I pass the camera wouldn't be much louder than any standard car

Either way it's going to be expensive to implement this - the electronics, the software and signal processing, the communication system, the paperwork and disputes, all to catch a few chavs on the way to McDonalds as well as penalise car enthusiasts that only bring out their pride and joy on a Sunday afternoon. Then in a couple of decades most of the cars are going to be silent electric ones anyway

On 11/06/2019 at 19:12, _Chris_ said:

Noise is a problem to me when cars/bikes go screaming past my window at full revs at 3 in the morning - it's a 30 limit residential area with people asleep FFS.  Sadly the irresponsibility of a few ruins it for the many like me who keep it quiet round houses at night.

Yep that would be a problem. 

popping and banging pisses me off. i was slowing down for traffic lights and heard pops and bangs and thought it was my car broken down since i could feel the vibrations of the pops and bangs. turns out to be a audi a3 next to me. complete chav.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.