Retread tyres

c_jnz

Imagine this,

Germany,

VW Passat,

Un-restricted Autobahn,

Re-treads,

De-lamination,

Oh shit, my underpants are wet....................................never again.

On a ST205, I shudder to think.

yea I may just get some part worn snow tyres, its only for a second set of wheels for the few times it will get used over winter. Just fancied a play in the snow and did not want to take the new 18" out.

Must admit I bought 4 new winter tyres for the van last year and they were the best purchase I ever made, fantastic in wet and frost.

Best thing i bought on ebay last year, partworn snow tyres - best looking now though rather than leave til weather gets worse. Size will likely be slightly different from what you re using, deeper profile and usually a bit narrower, this makes for better winter driving. I wasnt sure on makes so i found some on ebay and then googled reviews

Goodyear got some of the best reviews iirc

but no dont touch retreads

I hope everyone knows that all trucks & Jumbo Jets use retreads!

I looked into retreads a while ago. They must meet the QC standards & tests of normal tyres, however there is still that worry of them bad. They won't perform as well as new tyres, but should perform close, though it's better to be safe than sorry & buy new.

best of getting some part worn winter tyres if your on a budget

+1 :thumbs:

I was converted a few years back - why pay £120+ per tyre when I can get a part-worn Continental with 5mm+ and only needed a puncture repair for £30 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Look at it this way, when u paid £120 for a tyre, it gets a punture - do u repair it or get a new one?

Retreads - Strict quality control

Part worn from a dealer - 10 sec assessment from a jaded tyre fitter

Secondhand from eBay - completely unknown history

That's the order I would choose. If I wasn't buying new (which I would) I would rather drive on retreads than dodgy used tyres.

think if you are pottering around town in a micra then probably fine, but on high power cars think it would tear tread off pretty quickly

when I worked as a tyre fitter (14 years ago) - about 1 in 2000 would come back either with a bulge in the wall or delaminated tread

Im gonna be a open minded about this.

If I wanted cheap budget tyres for low speed (like a fork lift) or even if I was into drifting where cheap tyres are disposable then so be it.

Safety is always questionable. Retreaded dont blow out cos it's retreaded. They blow out or leak because before they where retreaded, the warn tyre must had suffered some damage such a wire breakage or punctures.

However its a case of unknown. Most companies swear they only retread inspected used tyres to avoid this because its a liability issue of a product.

But a side note, the quality of the tyre isnt the amount of tread or tread pattern but more of what the compound is made of.

That is a unknown factor.

We buy performance tyres becasue we know of a reputable company and proven performance. Hence why retread tyres are always a unknown risk.

Please dont take this the wrong way, but in the way its ment to be taken but the first thougt that came to my mind when I saw the first post was "dont be a tw@t"

As said above, if your on an extreme budget then part worns.

Are retreads even still legal on road cars???? If so they shouldnt be. esp not on Celicas

Edited by Ghoulscout

last time i bought retreads (or remoulds i remember them being called) was on a 1.0l austin metro about 19 years ago, i was on the tightest budget you could imagine and the tread was so spongy you could push it in with your fingers!

The grip like hell in the dry had the stability of a rollerskate in the wet and were dumped for a set of budget "proper" tyres as soon as finances allowed.

Never skimped on rubber since.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.