who carrys there spare

its also illegal to drive on a motorway with the knowledge that you could break down, not carrying your spare when you dont have runflats etc could been seen as this and not only might the AA refuse to move you but the traffic cops might bend your ear (not trying to post like ratboy and scare people but this could happen)

get some runflats and bin your spare, best way forward most runflats are now only about £15 more per tyre

Arent runflats only suitable for the newer cars with a sensor? Seem to remember reading somewhere that they not suitable for ones without recently

My car didn't have a spare in it when I bought it, and it didn't bother me because even if it did i can't put it on as the rolling radius/size would be different to the alloys that are on the car.

But I am thinking of buying the space saver wheel the car should have with it (in case of any legal problems)

I'd just say my cars never had one although it was a size smaller than my current wheels anyway lol.

As long as the rolling radius is the same, it doesn't matter what size your spare is, my space saver is only a 14" i think, but would still work fine with 3 other 16" wheels

The only issue is if you have upgrades all 4 brakes to a BBK so that the spare won't fit on the back wheels

I bet the extra weight of 4 run flats is not far off the weight of a spare wheel

Not to mention the additional unsprung mass

never noticed any difference with the weight + i carry a space saver too, I just like the piece of mind that im not going to get a horrible blow out and have a tyre rip of the rim as i do drive my car hard, I can get a preasure monitoring system fitted but dont see the point as i constantly check my preasures anyways, also as i said earlier one of my front runflats has a puncture but its still drivable where as if i had a normal tyre on there it would be sat on the ground and the radials would be dead

I carry the spacersaver in the boot, pretty sure it won't fit the front of the faff anyway but oh well!!

Also like to point out that removing all weight from the rear completely unbalances the car.

I did a trackday with the rear completely stripped and it was totally different handling to running full weight, obviously you probably wouldn't notice this as much on the road unless your driving like the stig all the time :lol:

I carry the spacersaver in the boot, pretty sure it won't fit the front of the faff anyway but oh well!!

Also like to point out that removing all weight from the rear completely unbalances the car.

I did a trackday with the rear completely stripped and it was totally different handling to running full weight, obviously you probably wouldn't notice this as much on the road unless your driving like the stig all the time :lol:

when i removed everything from the rear of my gen 5 it actually helped reduce a bit of understeer so i guess taking stuff out will affect the handling of the car

Yes tyre weld ruins the tyre so ive always been told,so you cost yourself a fortune for the sake of a possible simple repair.

Also,if you rely on the AA towing you home or whatever,just say you're on your way to a big meet or something.For the sake of carrying a spare you've now got to go home or go to the nearest place to get a new tyre and all the hassle that goes with it.I'd at least carry a space saver,and to be honest all this weightsaving malarkey is well and good if you're stripping your car out,but just removing the spare to gain any handling or performance gain is a waste of time IMHO unless you go the whole nine yards.

The runflat issue,if you have no sensor,is it not possible if the tyre is slowly deflating itself you may not actually be totally aware that its doing it at the time.Never had them so dont know for sure,but seems a risk there to me.

Edited by thesherv

After hearing about John.Drums incident I think having a spare is generally the best of ideas really. If you have a blowout, does that mean while they're towing the car up onto the truck you're literally scraping metal from the alloys?

I haven't carried a spare in the Celica for about 6 years now, as there's no room in the boot. Never had a problem with tyres - although I've probably just jinxed myself.

My wheels are a slightly different rolling radius to OEM though so I wouldn't be keen on fitting the standard space saver, especially not on 4WD.

The number of people I see driving down the M5, 70mph+ with a skinny spacer saver spare on though... :lol:

replaced with space saver and a can of tyre weld, slight adjustment needed with how to keep space saver in place as the celica screw thing was way to long but a yaris one is much shorter and works a treat.

saves on a load of weight as a full size spare was 3 times the weight.

oh and a thanks yet again to AMS for supply of the space saver top work.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.