What would you go for

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both ideally,but first i would say sort out the handling/Brakes then go for power ,as you will then know the car can take the extra power.. :)

Seen alot of big engine conversions over the years and people don't seem to upgrade any suspension/brakes.. :(

Last car - Mx5 - nothing handled like it, nor will I likely ever own a car quite like it, lowered on coilovers with sticky rubber and correct lazer alignment done, it was the absolute nuts down a fast B-road!

New car - Celica gen7 - effortlessly swift (not fast) in a straight line but nowhere near as fun in the corners. Outright speed is what I wanted though and to be fair whilst it doesn't hold a candle to the little Mazda it isn't bad for a fwd car.

I want some coillies for the Celica but no amount of searching down the back of the sofa has found me the £700 I need yet...

I don't think you can go for appropriate handling without knowing what power you're getting. If someone was to go FI and go the whole hog, they'd be better doing that first and then working out what gear is needed to sit well with it in relation to handling, surely? Just buying some coilies and hoping for the best isn't a good plan in my eyes. But then I'm no motorsport expert!

handling first. coilovers done. brakes upgrade done. strut braces done. oh and i have 4ws so corners are fun.

power second. high lift hks cams and after market piggy back ecu to use them along with engine rebuild.

should be the only way.

Power is nothing without control! A less powerful car with good handling could outrun a more powerful car with crap handling if the latter spends its time having to tiptoe round corners.

...But thats boring. From experience, having a car that handles like sh!t but with good power is far more fun :lol:

[edit] Having said all that, my 210-ish bhp Nova kept up well with a 150-ish bhp Nova at Combe a few weekends back. The other one was stripped, track prepared etc and all mine had was shonky cheap road tyres, full interior, cheap Spax coilovers and a massive engine hanging ahead of the front wheels. Generally things worked out pretty similar, with him having the edge on corners and us pounding down the straights.

Edited by Razorjack

power and traction, I think so much depends on the type of events though tbh, you'd really need to look at the circuits you've been running at to figure out where you look like you could gain the most time, spend more time cornering? or accelerating? problem with trying to extract more power from a 3s-ge is unless you have a big budget it could just be pissing into the wind.

as above, handling is what you need to get you through the corners.

Put a powerful but crap handling car against a lower powered but perfectly handling car on a track without too many long straights, and i don't think you'd see much difference between the two.

Never taken a car to the track but I've ridden my CBR 600RR against 1000cc bikes on a tight and twisty track, and for the extra 400cc they had, there was barely anything in it regarding the lap times... so power isn't everything. A lighter and better handling bike could easilly keep up with the big boys.

Funnily enough, i was just watching on old episode of Topgear (yes it was on Dave wink.gif) where they tested the newer Ariel Atom with the supercharger, it went round the test track faster than the Bugatti Veyron....................... so there you go, low(ish) power and great handling against mahoosive power and uber expensive engineering and i'm sure some pretty good handling too, and the Atom came out top

Gotta love British Engineering wink.gif

Funnily enough, i was just watching on old episode of Topgear (yes it was on Dave wink.gif) where they tested the newer Ariel Atom with the supercharger, it went round the test track faster than the Bugatti Veyron....................... so there you go, low(ish) power and great handling against mahoosive power and uber expensive engineering and i'm sure some pretty good handling too, and the Atom came out top

Gotta love British Engineering wink.gif

all relative though, supercharged atom has 600bhp per ton, veyron has 530bhp per ton, so the atom is rightly the quicker, in terms of power it has more for its weight.

anyway it brings up a good point, weight saving, even spending money in order to save weight can be benifical when you calculate your bhp per ton.

hmmm just had a look at the top gear lap times and the veyron is faster than the atom round the track, so that turns that on its head, suspect thats down to the veyrons massive torque and traction.

Edited by Zuban

another thought is kinda neither power or handling, but drivetrain, shorter gear ratio's (nightmare to find for s series gearbox though) or light flywheel/crankpulley etc, even lighter wheels/brakes, it may not equate to more power but everytime you get on the power out of a corner less rotating mass can gain you distance out of each corner, which also leads nicely to an lsd if you dont have one, anything that lets you get on the power sooner is going to gain you time.

If you wanna go faster on track, before power, before handling, before brakes, before aero etc

Driver ed..

I got loads quicker from going back to school. £140 at Curbough sprint school saw me go a lot lot faster, and enjoy driving far more..

I went from bottom of my class at one TSS event to a top 10 finish at the next race and be over 3 secs quicker on track, despite it being dark instead of light..

If I had the cash and track car still, I would love to spend a day or two with a driver coach out on track..

Its not always about what you have or have not got, its how you can make the most of it and improve from there.

just me 2pth

Edited by alwayzsidewayz

watched a video recently and it featured a Mines skyline, with not much more power than a standard car, they had focused on engine responsiveness and said that was more important that the pursuit of power

in my world though handling is more important that power

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.