just a word of caution

I was working under the car fixing a powersteering pipe and a drip landed in my eye. This was 2 days ago. Been hospital and now lost complete sight in ny right eye for good. I know its common sense to wear eye protection but cant b arsed 2 rummage for them. So please take my advice and do it. Might not happen to all as i already had a old cut on my pupil that i didnt know about but the fluid seeped through and basically killed the eye. I would have thought power steering fluid would have made my eye move quicker but it didnt. Seriously though always use eye protection. I glad. it wasnt both eyes i lost cheers

Edited by rpsmith79
Moved to General Discussion and Title edited

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fook me danny :o , harsh way to learn , i am the same as you , cant be arsed with a 5 hour rootle in the shed for safety equipment , i didnt think pas fluid was that evil , hope things go allright for you

Edited by sonic temple

Danny how kind & thoughtful of you to put this up as a warning to others !

You may have saved someone else from doing the same thing

I'm sorry this has happened to you especially at such a young age too :(

You could MAKE the title more urgent as it is something I bet every one of us as done the very same thing,

maybe the title should be HARD HITTING I've LOST MY SIGHT because of this !!

:( kath

JUST A WORD OF CAUTION ... well my first thoughts were

it must be a bout SORNS or speed bumps or some other not SO SERIOUS topic

so I do feel strongly that the FIRST part of the title should be STRONGER MORE DIRECT as this is the bit you see

The first 5 words

Edited by cait

Wow! I've had lots of stuff getting into my eyes, rust-flakes, oil, water, luckily without any damaging results, but this is definitely a warning. First thing today I'm going to buy some light plastic goggles from my local Wickes and keep them in the car.

Thanks for the warning, it would be terrible for anyone, but for someone as young as you to lose the sight of an eye must be devastating. All the very best of luck, the one bright thing is that at 25 years of age it's quite possible that there may well be a remedy available in the near future.

Really sorry to hear what's happend mate :( never would have thought PS fluid could be so bad.

On a side note. My sister was born blind in one of her eyes and most people don't believe her when she tells em. Might take a while but it's possible to get used to the loss of depth perseption that you must be struggling with at the moment.

Hope you learn to cope quickly or even better they were wrong and you get the vision back one day.

Very sorry to read about this. You're a brave man to post this up. Keep pushing the eye consultants for every test and procedure possible. Many years ago my son needed a lens and cornea transplant which allowed him partial sight.

Blimey - Im always getting dirt, oil, etc in my eyes, i usually use goggles when using a grinder but think ill use them a bit more now, hope they can find a way of sorting for you mate.

I work in Health and Safety and even I don't always practise what I preach, we've all been there and done it. A harsh lesson learnt and I feel incredibly sorry for you fella (I'm partially sighted myself) and hope the prognosis you've had so far isn't the full picture. Let's hope you have some improvement even if it's over a period of time.

Thanks all for your support and hope it helps encourage eyewear. Im upset bceause i should have known as i had welding flash a few times and could have lost my sight then. Also in a way im lucky i still have the 1 to look after. My 5 better b worth it. Im in hospital just now but thanks everyone

Really sorry to hear what's happend mate :( never would have thought PS fluid could be so bad.

On a side note. My sister was born blind in one of her eyes and most people don't believe her when she tells em. Might take a while but it's possible to get used to the loss of depth perseption that you must be struggling with at the moment.

Hope you learn to cope quickly or even better they were wrong and you get the vision back one day.

Sorry to hear about the incident mate, in relation to this I've quoted, I'm nigh on blind in my left eye and it doesn't affect me..my right eye learned to compensate (injury at 5 years old screwed my left eye up) and lifes as normal as it gets for me...I do need glasses now but it's age related rather than anything else.

Hope all is well fella, thanks for coming forward with something like this!

Really sorry to hear this mate, it's some pretty crap luck :( I hope things improve for you in the not to distant future and it doesn't slow you down too much.

Sorry to read this mate, I'm sure you will adjust but it will take time. Good on ya for the heads up to everyone. I have problem where I only see through my left eye, I can see with the other but not as well and I struggled with hand eye coordination but not so bad now as the brain learns to compensate!

Good luck buddy!

I'm really sorry to hear about your eye mate. I hope things get better for you.

A friend of mine lost his sight in his right eye a year ago whilst we were changing the coolant on one of our tanks in the service bay. He forgot to release the pressure and scolding hot coolant shot into his face, made a right mess. He managed ok for a while but the army discharged him soon after.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.