What Is A Starter Relay?

A relay is a magnetically operated switch, with the magnetic force being generated by an electrical current through a coil which pulls the switch closed.

The coils may degrade so the force does not keep the switch closed very well or the contacts on the switch may get corroded so not make a very good circuit. The switches can also get sticky and stiff.

its odd. sometimes I get a clicking noise when the key is in position 1 and sometimes it doesnt. Then when I turn to positiin 2 for it to turn over, the problem is either nothing for about 1 second then it fires up. Or sometimes it fires up and then the engine starts off very slowly and picks up to idel speed. battery is fine and starter turns.

The usual problem in relays is burning on the contacts as a result of the small spark you get when switching. Sometimes they weld themselves shut, sometimes you just get a poor contact which is the symptoms you have.

Not sure where the relay is located, but I would most expect it to be in one of the fuseboxes in the engine bay.

Most likely to be worn contacts on the starter solenoid itself, but could also be the starter relay (or earths, or power lead to battery)

The usual problem in relays is burning on the contacts as a result of the small spark you get when switching. Sometimes they weld themselves shut, sometimes you just get a poor contact which is the symptoms you have.

Not sure where the relay is located, but I would most expect it to be in one of the fuseboxes in the engine bay.

Most likely to be worn contacts on the starter solenoid itself, but could also be the starter relay (or earths, or power lead to battery)

This too was what I was told hence the main question.

Now does anykne know where is itnlocated in the faff 3sgte?

In answer to everyones previous questions about terminals and cables and earthing contacts, battery conditions they are all good.

The relay should be in the engine fuse box. If you look in the lid there will be a plan of the fuse/relay layout. I'm not 100% on what it will be labled with, I'll go and have a look in the Gen 6.

Back in a mo. :D

Scuse the blurryness it's cold out. :lol:

It's the blue one, bottom right, labeled ST

2013-02-26184422_zpsbcfa61d1.jpg

Edited by Limeymk1

Some of Us old gen 4 owners have had this problem i even had a brand new starter fitted and after 4 days had the same problem i had a relay mod put in by my mechanic down the road from me who does work on my cars and its been ok forwell over a year now and been fine fingers crossed , for us its due to i wire from tje ignition to the starter not holding the current as the wires degrade with age so a relay is put in to assist this generally , the mod on mine however is s little differen as the mod is connected to the starter and the battery but as said its worked out ok steve gillies from adl racing can supply these kits as a direct wire on mod for the 3sge or 3sgte engines

Hope this helps

Some of Us old gen 4 owners have had this problem i even had a brand new starter fitted and after 4 days had the same problem i had a relay mod put in by my mechanic down the road from me who does work on my cars and its been ok forwell over a year now and been fine fingers crossed , for us its due to i wire from tje ignition to the starter not holding the current as the wires degrade with age so a relay is put in to assist this generally , the mod on mine however is s little differen as the mod is connected to the starter and the battery but as said its worked out ok steve gillies from adl racing can supply these kits as a direct wire on mod for the 3sge or 3sgte engines

Hope this helps

The 205 has a relay fairly local to the starter, so this solution probably doesn't apply.

Starter recondition should only cost around £35. If you get the part no of the starter relay I'll check if the 7 is the same, should have some used ones cheap- cheap because Ive never sold one. But seriously think it's the starter gone. Once reconditioned it will probably outlive the car.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.