damn it, may have to sell the GT

Argh!

The plan to run a GT as an everyday car is not going so well.

Fuel economy is killing me.

I am getting between 21 - 25 mpg on my daily commute, which is about 15 miles in stop start heavy traffic.

Car is running fine, no issues, and yes on long gentle runs I can get mid 30s. But driving like miss daisy the entire time has made me think.

The insurance is up soon too..

I think my best bet is to de mod the car, sell the bits sep, get a years ticket on it, and sell it as a std car, with just over 100k on it, recent all new brakes, new exhaust and clutch plus service history should at least see me get £750 back for it.

Question is what to replace it with, ideally I want a Toyota or at very least a Jap car, but not a lot floats me boat.

Tried A puma, loved driving it, but too small.

Ideas guys? I wanted a gen 6 to replace my 4, but realise now that my heart rulled my head, I cannot ignore the money I am sticking into the tank! I want some fun behind the wheel and driving everywhere for max mpg to eek out every litre is not it.

I want 3drs ideally, decent size boot, and mpg of at least 30mpg in urban conditions, with a bit of driver fun thrown in.

Had a puma and a paseo puma was better to drive but like you said too small and total rot boxes. I'd go with the paseo. Can get a decent one now for a bargain if you shop around.

How about a corolla though too

http://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/advert/201220470735654/viewing-107/0?PHPSESSID=4glb0anttcpc7fsl2r08apbrd7

I know that's not that economical but a great car

Bit more restrained lol

http://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/advert/201225476435863/viewing-102/0?PHPSESSID=4glb0anttcpc7fsl2r08apbrd7

LPG was an option however it does require a long term commitment on the car, which I just cannot give.

That rolla was a thought, not sure on the mpg, but at a guess it maybe better that the gt.

Later 99 shape rollas with the 1.4 VVT engines look okay, bit mumsey I guess.

LPG isn't such a saving on short runs as the first part of the trip is on petrol until the engine warms up enough for the evaporator not to freeze.

You'll never beat a diesel for stop/start driving. My small diesels (pug206 or clio) give over 50MPG whether it's motorway or town stuff. Modern diesels aren't like the old slow unresponsive stereotype, they are generally smoother, more responsive and more powerful than the petrol equivalent.

For me, the small diesels are for ecconomical round town use and the 4's are for fun and long distance (my 205 is LPG).

Maybe a celica ST? All the fun of a gen 6 albeit a lot slower but the same engine as the Paseo I believe only a 1.8 as opposed to a 1.5. It's designed to be a economical version of a sports coupe which it is and it's still a Celica so you can't go wrong :)

It's meant to give 35mpg as well although somehow I managed to get 40 mpg out of my gen 6 GT on a run the other day lol

Paseo is fairly small inside as well mate, great cars, used to get around 300 miles for 36litres or so. LPG all the way, with your skills you could probably fit yourself too. Not much about for the money that you will get for the 6

LPG conversion :thumbs:

+1 :thumbs: :thumbs:

But, Rich u quite right, it requires long-term commitment - since u need to recover the initial conversion.

Although if u are lucky to find a RARE Celica already converted - then I would argue that it does better saving than a diesel.

Even in the winter at -5degrees- my LPG car would switch over to gas in less than a mile.

With LPG near me at 65p - its hard not to imagine the savings.

Else....one of these (not sure of MPG though)..which 'u' I was contemplating myself :D:lol:

zGen6c-2.jpg

zGen6a-2.jpg

zGen6d.jpg

zGen6a-3.jpg

zGen6a.jpg

306 HDi can get about 50-60mpg, looks small but are big on the inside, nice and fun to drive :)

This! I run a W plate 306 hdi as my daily so I can run the T Sport as I want to. Comfy, spacious cheap as chips and fun handling when you push it. Also sees 65mpg when I'm plootering back and forth to work during the week.

I am caught between two stones, I either stop saving for a gen 4 / project car and spend a bit more each month and keep the 6.

Or

take a break from shows and stuff and buy a cheapie pref an oil burner and save like mad for two years and have the funds to build what I want.

Running two cars when the fun car is 6 gt is daft, maybe if it was a GT4 or vert, but a bog standard GT? nope No offence GT guys.

Cheers for all the input, plenty to ponder.

Damn that sucks mate.I spose as a commuter you're looking at a diesel....but yeah for the price you looking at a Rolla or something may be the option for something relatively fun to drive

LOL for a minute there I thought Wayne posted up a 2.0 auto gen5 or a GT4... oh he did! LOL Wayne A for effort,wrong ballpark tho

Well the increase in fuel duty has been put off which is a help.

I was aiming to save £100 - £150 a month, as ideally I want at least £1500 to start my gen 4 project.

lol at waynes choices, not good on mpg sadly me thinks..

So do I sell a celica to afford a celica or do i keep a celica that means for a while I cannot buy a celica gen 4.

If that makes any sense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.