Swapped the HIDs for Osram Nightbreakers

I'd been doing quite a bit of nightdriving and had noticed that although bright, the 6000K HIDs didn't quite light up the road infront of me as much as I liked. Plus the massive 'UFO' dots really annyoed me when I saw them against the back of cars infront at traffic lights. :blush:

With the new MOT regs coming up, and my MOT due soon, I decided to swap over to the Osram Nightbreakers.

I found them for £13 at AceParts on eBay. I've used them before for other car bits, so didn't mind spending a few pennies extra compared to other sellers I've not used before. Delivery was free and took 2 days, so nothing to complain about there.

The only issue is the damn fiddly fitment with the headlights having to be removed for optimum efficiency. 2 hours in the cold was NOT pleasant!!

I took the 'after' pic below as soon as it got dark, just before going out for some drinks; so couldn't test drive the bulbs last night. And with the shitty snowy/slushy road contitions now, I can't be arsed to go out for a drive to test them tonight either, so the road-test will have to wait...

Although I do dislike the more yellowy colour of the bulb when looking at the car, the after pic below does seem to suggest that they're a slightly more bright beam of light, albeit not as 'white' as the HIDs.

Now I know too, that the camera slightly adjusts for brightness (so not a perfect compairson), but the centre of the Osram beams do seem brighter than the HIDs... but the 'road' does seem a little more lit up with the HIDs :wacko:

Bear in mind though, that both the pics were taken with the same level on the headlights... so this is what I found to be the optimum level for the best road illumination for the HIDs when driving; but I may need to lower the Osrams slightly to get an optimum beam pattern for road use.

(oh, and the car isn't parked in exactly the same place... but did make sure to get it the same distance from the doors) :thumbs;

Anyway, I wasn't sure if there had been a before/after pic of the light production from each, so voila:

Unknown brand 6000K HIDs

DSC04277.jpg

Osram Nightbreakers

DSC04278.jpg

Edited by InsolentMinx

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From those photo's I'm surprised you find the latter with osram, clearer.

The top photos seems much clearer to me all round. You can see the black bins on the left, and a good amount of detail on them.

In the bottom pic, you can barely make out there's bins there.

I got extra bright bulbs with a blue tint, which more just rids of the yellow hint. Very happy with them.

Edited by KrisSilver

i did notice that with the bins... but then i also noticed that in the Osram pic I'd parked a little further right, so thought that maybe the shadow from the garages cast over the bins more

the car parked to the right has also been and gone and returned, but not parked as far in as they had before...

Edited by InsolentMinx

I did exactly the same as you... went from 6000k HIDs to Osrams, but I can't decide whether to keep them or not. The light isn't as white as I was hoping. Appears to be nothing much more than standard bulbs. Need to give them a few more drives to decide I think.

I also got them for my mums car and thought they were just like normal. But then I think I may have got sold fake one...I imagine there are so many out there because I got mine at a bargain price of £12 when everywhere else was doing them for £23+

Had them on mine, FAR superior to the standards and MILES less annoying for other people than the hids. Osram nightbreakers for the win. I think my bike has them too, the light's brilliant on it.

That was one of the things i noticed on driving home that night, beam was far better than on the car we drove up in :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.