Insuring a second car

My mum has a 4x4, which she needs for the winter as she lives out in the sticks, but with the price of fuel etc she is thinking about getting a little runabout for nipping to the shops (namely a pug 106) However her insurance says her full no claims on the Vitara counts for nothing as the pug would need to be on a seperate policy, and that is going to cost more than the car. Remember we are talking about a retired lady with a clean license living in a good area, not an 18 year old chav here. So, we got a quote from Admiral multicar, which was more expensive than the other two combined!

So, thought I would ask on here because there must be some people running a second car, right? Is there a way to do it, or is it just a case of paying through the nose for the privalege?

Any advice must be completely above board please, she must have proper cover on both cars.

Jonathan

Get the Vitra insured on a limited mileage policy as the 2nd car and then use the full NCB on the daily driver (Pug).

Lots of Insurance Co's will give some NCB on a second car, Try Adrian Flux or any other good broker, as they often have their own direct link to underwriters.

I'd highly recommend Admiral, the only thing is...you'd need to insure both cars with them and pay it all up front, but the savings you make are incredible.

I got a quote on:

celica gt & toyota soarer twin turbo...

for the grand sum of.....£950. For both. If you go monthly on the payments though it literally rockets the price into the stratosphere

Tell her to avoid French crap and buy British. An MG TF 1.6 would be much more fun with fully comp. insurance just over £100 inc. agreed value and breakdown cover.

Haha, have you just come through a time machine from the 1970s? Next you'll be putting stickers on other cars saying BUY BRITISH

I'd highly recommend Admiral, the only thing is...you'd need to insure both cars with them and pay it all up front, but the savings you make are incredible.

I got a quote on:

celica gt & toyota soarer twin turbo...

for the grand sum of.....£950. For both. If you go monthly on the payments though it literally rockets the price into the stratosphere

Both ST182s insured with them. By far the most user friendly insurance company Ive ever dealt with. Avoid Flux at all costs

I think a car has to be insured wether it's on the road or not now. Not 100% on that, and naturally a hidden car in a garage is unlikely to ever be poked at by the fuzz...

No it doesnt, as long as is SORNed and not parked on the road

Right enough, you only need insurance if you're driving on the road. Ive got a multicar policy with the GT four and a Volvo 340 at Admiral for just under a grand per year, maybe you just need to go through the quote again and change a few things?

I've found Admiral multicar to be expensive as well in the past, more so than individual policies! The initial price they quote me always looks good, but then you realise only one of the cars is covered for a few months just to sync the renewals :rolleyes:

Anyways. Yeah, you can only use NCB on one car at a time (which is a complete farce!), however some companies will mirror NCB. Sky will - they currently insure all 3 of my wagons with mirrored NCB. So that could be worth looking in to.

The other option is a limited mileage policy; as the pug will only be pootling to the shops and back you might only need about 3-4k a year on it which could save a few quid. But then, especially if its only doing a few miles a year, you need to calculate if the added cost of insurance/tax/MOT etc is actually going to save you money in the long run - if it works out you'll be saving £1,000 on your annual fuel bill but spending £900 on tax insurance and MOT, is it really worth it?

As for the insurance/tax thing, if the car is taxed you need insurance. If its declared off road (SORN) you don't need insurance. Its a pain in the backside (and expensive!) to have to keep SORN'ing and taxing a car though, so its not really viable to temp insure it for whenever you need it.

I did the multicar quote on line then rang them and the said I could only have no claims on one of the cars, I asked what was the point of a multi car policy then as that would be like getting 2 sepperate policy's and if by magic they said they would give 2 years no claims on the second car :shrug: :rolleyes:

Most accurate reply so far I'm sure is crewcutchuck's legalised theft!!! It seems like a lot of things in life, the ones who offer the biggest discounts are more expensive to start with! The original company, which offers no discount on the second car has been cheapest overall so far.

Ideally we want both cars road legal all the time, but it's my mum's decision at the end of the day if she wants the 4x4 sat in the drive on a SORN for half the year to save a few quid. Will keep you posted if she finds a company with any common sense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.