Any benefit to fitting lower profile tyres than 45's?

I need 4 new tyres and can get a decent set of:

• 205/40/17's for £41 a corner
  • 205/45/17's for £44 a corner

I'll only save £12 I know, but isit worth going for the 40's over the 45's? Any benefits? I know it'll make the ride harder (i think?)

I need 4 new tyres and can get a decent set of:

• 205/40/17's for £41 a corner
  • 205/45/17's for £44 a corner

I'll only save £12 I know, but isit worth going for the 40's over the 45's? Any benefits? I know it'll make the ride harder (i think?)

Ummm What BRand of tyres are you fitting may I ask?

But to answer your question,

40's will make the ride quite a bit harsher. and your speedo will be slightly out ever so slightly.

Also.. for the price you're getting your tyres for- unless they are a decent brand. I would spent at least double a tyre for mid range tyres.

Like Avon or Falkens. You can get those for 80 ish a corner.

I got my Falkens for 291 for all 4 fitted the other week. Course i was also using 215/45/17 which is a standard size of tyres in comparison to 205/45/17 or even 205 40 17

Edited by samuaw

No, Liam. The rolling radius is such that it will be like losing 6th gear, so will cost more in fuel.

215/40/17 is closer to the OE 205/45/17, that's what I'm running on the front (215/45 rear). The benefit is better acceleration, but there's a slightly bigger gap between tyre and the front wheel arches.

Edited by Kev 16v

You only need to depend on your good rubber one time to make it worthwhile. If it's the difference between stopping and not stopping in wet conditions or on a twisty bit of road, if it's the one thing that stops you from understeering into a tree it'll be worth it no?

You should ALWAYS fit the best rubber available to you. It might make all the difference one day.

I honestly think premium tyres are a pointless commodity unless you REALLY actually always drive your car hard as fuck.

I honestly think you need to have a serious think about where you prioritise your money. :o Shocking, just shocking.

You don't necessarily need to go for premium brands like michlin, pirelli or bridgestone.

Heck, If i had the money i'll be rocking in those sort of tyres. only £600 a change every year.....

But in the real world there is always a cheaper alternative which provides great performance with a smaller price tag

Many members use mid range tyres like toyo,falken and avon. As close to the same performance to premium brands but costs less and (might) last longer.

But stay away from budget brands that you've never heard of, They are for sure death causers for our "high performance cars".

Pay for what you get, and clearly budget you are paying for a route to a quicker death/accident

Edited by samuaw

I don't like low profile tyres that much, look like rubber bands lol. I actually upped my profile by 9mm web I went for 215/47/17. Looks much better in the arches and the car looks lower because arches are more full now

Fallen are meant to be good for the price then next up Toyo which are better but about 15quid more per side

Check camskill.co.uk and tyretraders. People rave about black circles but I find them totally overpriced tbh!

Hth

Also, keep an eye on ebay, i got a set of part worn Toyo T1Rs with plenty of tread left for less than £100. Thats for all 4 and they are 18s.

i would only put £40 tyres on my bicycle, unless it's a serious discount on big name rubber

That is a great point, I am quite into cycling and although I dont think I have spent £40 on tyres, I wouldnt blink at spending £20-30 on a bike tyre.

I don't like low profile tyres that much, look like rubber bands lol. I actually upped my profile by 9mm web I went for 215/47/17. Looks much better in the arches and the car looks lower because arches are more full now

Fallen are meant to be good for the price then next up Toyo which are better but about 15quid more per side

Check camskill.co.uk and tyretraders. People rave about black circles but I find them totally overpriced tbh!

Hth

I always order from black circles. Tyres alone are a pretty decent price, dunno about the price of their fitting service though.

Interesting, which tyres are those then - and are you happy with them?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.