What mileage qualifies 'Use as a daily' ?

Been talking to various friends about this while in lockdown as car mileage for some has drastically reduced.

What mileage quantifies 'Use as a daily? '

Some cars are real mile burners 10-20K per year, others are on a limited mileage insurance policy of, say 5k per year, some (like mine) are 2nd cars so only get used at weekends, short trips or car a

shows.

If you use yoi car on a daily basis but only do 2K per year is this really a.

daily compared with someone who does an National average of say 12k  Is this fair to comapre?

With some clubs who have 'Best daily ise car' as an award, should there be a minimum mileage factored in to the award of, say 8k per year?

Just a thought or is this type of award totally pointless due to the diversity of peoples car situations as you can keep a car immaculate if you fo 2 miles per day every day but those who do 50+ per day have more chance of wear & tear.

Open for discussion :D

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Daily driver to me is your main car - you may not do many miles in it if you don’t need to drive that much, but it’s your go to main car. So mileage could vary - I cycle (or did!) to work so my celica was my “daily” even though it’s on a 4K annual mileage. Rav4 is prob the daily now but still doesn’t do that much. 

I don’t think mileage can be used to determine a ‘daily’ 

for the last 3 years I’ve had a ‘daily’ car, that cars changed 7 times but they’ve all been more comfortable and economical to run, hence them being used to sit in traffic on cold winter mornings or heading out to ride somewhere that I can leave it in a forest and not worry about it.  They’ve all done 8-10k a year. 

my celica is just a car I use on the weekends now, which is still doing 8-10k a year, it’s the time I want to be out and about so the mileage adds up. do I need the celica? No, it is worth selling? Not really hence keeping it. 

Of course motorway miles is prolly much better than town miles even cosmetically.

I've always wondered where they get the 12k average mileage from and whether it's totally accurately representable.

I've pretty much always limited my miles to between 3 - 5 k but I do use mine quite a lot but mainly jus round town, occasionally im surprised when I've realised I've gone over the quota, but unless I was using mine for heavy motorway or daily commuting I couldn't see myself ever getting near the average 12 k.

And so the low mileage 30k 10 year old car must still actually be quite a well used car.

Edited by budgetbondbile

33 minutes ago, budgetbondbile said:

Of course motorway miles is prolly much better than town miles even cosmetically.

I've always wondered where they get the 12k average mileage from and whether it's totally accurately representable.

I've pretty much always limited my miles to between 3 - 5 k but I do use mine quite a lot but mainly jus round town, occasionally im surprised when I've realised I've gone over the quota, but unless I was using mine for heavy motorway or daily commuting I couldn't see myself ever getting near the average 12 k.

And so the low mileage 30k 10 year old car must still actually be quite a well used car.

I’m going to have to agree and disagree. 

the front bumper, bonnet and windscreen  of my celica is ruined from 7 years of motorway driving. Full of stone chips, pitting on the glass and I’ve put 3 front plates on it due to cracking. It did do 20K+ for 3 years running so it’s fair wear in my eyes. 

Hence me buying a ‘daily’ car that I don’t care about so I can swap the celica for something better than can be kept tidy...but on the other hand, the underside of mine is in pretty good shape for 200k. Far better condition than some 50-60k cars Ive had in work. Hardly any corrosion, all my brakes work without sticking, just a slight leak from the timing chain tensioner and no I’ve never coated anything underneath or any special treatment. 

• Like 1

Yeah I know what you're saying my bonnet bumper and reg plate were pretty similar from the previous owner, the paint does seem quite fragile, but unfortunately it's now been added to by my round town parking scrapes etc!!

Your car does sound pretty good for a 200k er, and with the underneath in good nick, mines similar, you d actually be hard pushed to buy a better example ironically!!

Mine does look pretty shabby I suppose in retrospect maybe a bit more paintwork tlc or applying something pre motorway work may have helped poss?

In retrospect adding a clear ppf would have helped, but at a quarter of the value of the car is it really worth it vs getting it repainted? 

It’s a shame cars get bumped so often in car parks.

• 2 weeks later...

my daily went from 40+ a year to under 3 a year, because I changed my job and used my bike when i could. Id still class it as my daily as I'd have no issues parking it in a car park, taking it out in the rain or chucking rubbish in to go to the tip

• Like 1

I can use mine more on my daily 40mile commute.

I think its so hard, as I used to use my black 6 as my only car and do a 11 mile daily commute. So miles were not high

Having used my Sky a lot in lock down, I have stuck some decent miles on her, but she is still not a car I use everyday

( damn Ind est shut one set of gates mid lockdown and forced me to go over 5 of the most harsh speed bumps known to man, so I stopped using the Celica after scraping the under body...twice. Grr)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.