SLICK 50

lots of good and bad press about additives throughout the years - the good reviews like silvers above have had good experiences, the horror stories tell of gummed up hydraulic lifters in some engines and other such nastyness. Oddly enough my good experiences with it were with older Ford V6'd too! Was a big fan of the ZX1 additive in my gearboxes for a while but the more you read the more it seems apparent that quality oil with regular changes is just as, if not more, beneficial. Website "bobistheoilguy" or something goes into massive detail on the subjects and you can happily get lost reading there for hours on end :)

Edited by keef-b

Issues with blockages are mainly due to flush additives and not additives like Slick 50 and STP, I have been a fan of slick 50 for many years.

If it was all they say the manufacturers would fit it as standard, they don't

Similar additives are used in oils like Magnatec and others.

I used to own a CRX which would burn oil like crazy, I put Slick 50 in and thrashed the nuts of it and eventually it stopped using oil and it carried on running for many years after I sold it to a mate.

I currently run it in my 140 and my 3S-FE engined Rav4.

I think it has it's place in older engines and worn engines. Don't fancy putting it near my 190 though. Best oils for engine and gear box regularly changed at half the manufacturers mileage is good enough for me.

Issues with blockages are mainly due to flush additives and not additives like Slick 50 and STP, I have been a fan of slick 50 for many years.

Similar additives are used in oils like Magnatec and others.

I used to own a CRX which would burn oil like crazy, I put Slick 50 in and thrashed the nuts of it and eventually it stopped using oil and it carried on running for many years after I sold it to a mate.

I currently run it in my 140 and my 3S-FE engined Rav4.

Andy........it predates your time at Airedale! We all used it in our rally cars back in the day. :)

I rolled the Celica on a rally and whilst it was upside down we lost the oil.....we obviously didn't carry any so just carried on.......for about 25 or so hard driven miles before it put a rod through the block.....in a Big way! I think it would have happened much sooner without Slick but who knows?

That's the point Brian Slick 50 coats the engine components and stays behind even when the oil is drained, so the advantages are cold start protection and to a point improvement in oil starvation protection. ( Which can only be a good thing for a pre facelift 140 owner)

That's the point Brian Slick 50 coats the engine components and stays behind even when the oil is drained, so the advantages are cold start protection and to a point improvement in oil starvation protection. ( Which can only be a good thing for a pre facelift 140 owner)

From a Toyota mechanic says it all........ :)

Engine doesn't get hot enough to melt the teflon to allow it to coat the parts as claimed to give the protection as claimed. (melts @ 327C - if your oil reached that temperature i'm sure it'd be terminal for other non-metallic components e.g. any rubber seal it came into contact with!)

Studies showed it actually reduced lubrication between surfaces as the solids in the oil actually swelled upon heating clogging pathways.

DuPont that manufactured the teflon used in the additives tried to sue makers of Slick50 and other additive makers to stop them using "teflon" on the packaging as they didn't want their product name banded about unscrupulously.

When you read up on it you wonder why you would even consider using any oil additive.

Edited by keef-b

• 2 weeks later...

Engine doesn't get hot enough to melt the teflon to allow it to coat the parts as claimed to give the protection as claimed. (melts @ 327C - if your oil reached that temperature i'm sure it'd be terminal for other non-metallic components e.g. any rubber seal it came into contact with!)

Studies showed it actually reduced lubrication between surfaces as the solids in the oil actually swelled upon heating clogging pathways.

DuPont that manufactured the teflon used in the additives tried to sue makers of Slick50 and other additive makers to stop them using "teflon" on the packaging as they didn't want their product name banded about unscrupulously.

When you read up on it you wonder why you would even consider using any oil additive.

I have had Slick 50 in my 140 for 20,000 miles and no issues have formed within the VVTI oilways, but I understand that Dupont would not issue a lawsuit without any conserns.

Manufacturers wouldn't put it in a new engine - its place is in an older engine that has wear.

I don't agree with that mate, it is designed to reduce wear not fix the problem afterwards.

We did a test at Lotus many years ago when Slick 50 first came out. We ran a controlled engine build (every component measured to death down to micron resolution) then built up two identical engines and ran them in out test cell dyno's, Various test cycles were done, Then the engines were stripped and re-measured (size, surface finish etc) There was no difference between the two engines on wear characteristics. From memory, when the engines were run to destruction. (no oil) there was hardly any difference in time before the engines gave up.

If you use something like Mobil 1 They advise not to use any engine treatments at all.

If this or any other additive was so good at giving "extra performance" or "Better fuel economy". Why don't they supply it as standard ?

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on engine oil additives. All i would do is continue with regular oil & filter changes. That is just as good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.