Help think engine has seized

:: blade ::

howdo, as some of you might know my car broke down on thursday, thought it was the starter motor as it started to spark an grind then the car cut out, received another starter this morning from briano (cheers mate) still getting the same problem, the starter clicks out to turn the fly but just click like it cant move it, had the car in gear and tried to push it to see if it would move and nothing, tried bump starting it aswell and it just stops dead, checked the oil and theres plenty of that in it, there been no weird noises with the engine and its ran perfect since getting it on the road. what is my next option? apart from selling on, or scraping, put alot of money into it now, and im just fed up with it, at the mo its been the worst car i have owned and ive bought scrap cars in the past. how else can i tell that the engine is seized?

hope someone can help before i lose my rag with it and smash it up with a lump hammer

cheers all :D

(not looking good on getting a gt4 now as im losing faith in celicas :()

Dont try starting it on the key anymore.

Take the plugs out and try to turn it over by hand with a socket/spanner on the crank pully.

If she still dont spin in either direction, check in the bores if you have an inspection camera (or just use a torch) and the cam gear.

Hopefully it is an electrical fault/starter ring issue.

Hope you get it sorted soon :thumbs:

luckily i know how to work on cars, but ive had enough on working on this one and it breaking every so often, so the list of cars im looking at are evos, scooby, galant vr4s, there are a few scoobys in my price range that i like so looks like ill be moving away from celicas now, so might but a forsale thread up soon,

yea engine swap aint that hard but aint got the time or place to do one, so thinking of just quitting before i waste any more money on it, spent near on £500 to get it on the road at the beginning of this month, then the £1500-£2k on all the other bits and bobs ive fitted and changed,

Firstly, as mentioned, remove spark plaug and try turning it ove rwith spanner via the crank pulley.

i would seriously doubt you could push a car in gear!! if the starter clicks, and repeatedly clicks, or whirrs, it sounds like its engaging to the fly, trying to start and then failing, so the solenoid repeat fires, causing the starter to engage repeatedly. mostly due to when it tries to fire it doesnt have the juice to crank the engine... most comonly caused by... a dead battery! Try a new battery and get back to us!

Should be able to push in 5th.

did you have any water loss issues or drive through deep puddles ?

If its not seized engine check the heavy earth from battery to engine and measure voltage on battery when trying to start. I assume It's not a battery relocation ?

ummm

if it locks up theres always something before hand , general im feckin unhappy sound then clunk silence

``thought it was the starter motor as it started to spark an grind``

please explain this further as this will help no end

starter , great things starters , dont do shit if the earth lead isnt upto the task ,,,, just a thought

water lock is fun fun , your engine will have run like shit before this happens as oil or water gets into the bore , smoke and general red arrows effect as you drive round is the usual thing

as for pushing it in gear , i can push mine in second and third with relative ease so ....... its too bloody common for adam to be turning it over as hes pushing it in second to get the vert to turn over and fire up , i would do the same , stick it in third and get the engine to turn over , you may hear any scrapeing together of surfaces or you may even fire it up ( do it with the ignition on and be ready to jump into it )

Edited by izzzzythedog

Bought a new battery yesturday as thought it was that that just did the same but clicked faster.

when it happened on thursday it was dry, started fine in the morning and the engine sounded as it always did and it ran perfect. I check oil and water on a regular basis and there fine. as i was driving i heard a grinding noise and the clutch pedal vibrate only happend for a split second then it went away. so carried on did it again a few minutes later so pulled over and listened to it. did it again but sparked where the starter is asif it is trying to engage to start the car. tried bump starting it yesturday in second gear and instead of trying to start it stopped dead. just strange as there are no oil leaks or water leaks, no strange noises from the engine no smoke on startup or while driving. will be having another look later on. anyone know the size of the crank pully bolt?

Guest Ambermile

I would not recommend a Celica to anyone that either dont have deep pockets or dont know how to work on cars :D

That's a bit unfair - maybe you should try a seven (ever see a hairdresser with oily nails?) :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.