Caravan towing help

Hi guys first time posting here very happy with my celica don't really want to change it for a boring saloon if I don't have too but I want to buy a caravan!, I know this has caused much amusement on here in the past so am ready for all the stick I'm going to get, any advice regarding using Celica gen 7 to tow would. Be appreciated Apparently I can tow a caravan with a1200 kg weight which I can find a few older models at 950 kg in unladen weight about 13 years old so in theory the ratios are right, but will towing put too much strain on Celica's suspension etc ? Also advice on any good local towbar fitting service around London Heathrow area, I have had a price from tow bars express of 280 inc electrics plus 130 for a detachable one fitted. is this a good price do you think?

I used to tow with my Gen3, I now use my Gen6 SR 1.8. As tow cars go it does the job, my caravan is about 1100kg when loaded with Club stuff. I only do 100 mile trips in it though. IF you want to go further or up any long hills, keep some power in reserve.

The next caravan we get will be a little smaller and lighter. A good set up should not damage your car.

Think the only real disadvantage is the lack of torque compared to a slightly more 'suited' tow car.But like said,if its not towing huge weight for long distances it should be pretty capable?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 03 G7 with a tow bar on it and the car seems to be fine at 96k miles

I got it taken off a couple of weeks ago and will try to sell it soon. I still have the receipt from the previous owner who had paid £280 from Toyota fitted but that was including electrics and I've already cut the wire off so they're not any good now

If you're interested I can send you pictures, I'd only be looking for about £50 ONO for just the tow bar with all the bolts but I wouldn't be surprised if you live too far away from me to make it worthwhile (I live near Lockerbie)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.