Another EBC problem

masiv

Got up this morning and let the dogs into the garden and when I let them back in, I noticed the one had something in her mouth. I told her to drop it and then noticed it looked like a small brake pad. On closer inspection I noted the green edges and realised that it was part of the rear pad off my car as I have/had Green Stuff on there. Turns out that the friction part of the pad had detached from the plate and just fallen off. Will not be using them again.

I found this similar on a members car - cant remember whos but was changing hubs or something and when I removed the calipers the metal plate and the friction part were seperated, calipers were quite seized though as well - so put that down to the pads overheating

I had this same issue with redstuff front and rear pads and greyracer had it with his greenstuff rears.

Get onto EBC and kick up a stink, i did and got rewarded with a set of yellow stuff front and rear pads to make me go away and stop being a pain.

Don't let them fob you off - it works ;)

overheating is the problem not the pads

Not in my case bud - the backing plates were all corroded under the friction material which is why they fell to pieces :giveup:

Edited by keef-b

Really meant regular check of calipers and carriers to keep lubricated....

I have grooved dimpled with green stuff pads so i will be keeping a close eye on them.

Just fitted new ordinary discs pads to puma but didnt get the carriers prep properly and almost cooked the disc on the insides, but i am diy and not mechanic...so i learn from mistake.

Will let you know if they fall apart though.

Not in my case bud - the backing plates were all corroded under the friction material which is why they fell to pieces :giveup:

This is what mine are like. 95% of my driving is motorway miles and I always leave a decent gap and slow down in advance approaching junctions, roundabouts etc, so am very light on the brakes. Once in a blue moon I will have a 'spirited' drive, where and when it is safe, nothing silly though and only for a couple of minutes, so no way should they get hot enough to get damaged like that. Have checked the caliper and it is fine. I will be following the advice on here and contacting EBC. This is the type of thing you would expect from dirt cheap ebay pads, not from a supposed premium brand with matching prices.

known as "european brake chewers" in my social circle!

..............having said that on track I've ran EBC sport discs, redstuff pads, yellowstuff pads, and EBC black pads on a gen2 road car- all without a hitch. Currently running EBC yellow on my track car, considerably cheaper than competitors pads (porterfield, CW).

the nickname came from about 10 years ago when a mate who used brand new brembo discs with EBC green pads- after a few months use the pads had cracked the discs.

The problems people kept having with them made me go Ferodo DS instead... but then there are so many people who run them without a problem either! So sounds like inconsistent quality control. I'd rather not risk it myself

This is an interesting read for me.......I now have calipers that are catered for with upgraded pads and I've been wondering which way to go!

Always used Mintex racing pads back then and never had any problems but these days there is much more choice....decisions, decisions! :)

So - If people dont recomend the EBC red stuff pads - what DO people recomend at a similar price and good quality?

I couldn't find anything else I wanted to buy in that price bracket, which is why I have Ferodo DS Performance (£80 a pair I think?) on the fronts and OEM pads on the back. But tbh, I went from worn OEMs to new DSs, so I couldn't tell you if they're better or not!

Not a very helpful post now I read it back :lol:

I used EBC Ultimax on my ST182 and now have them on my ST202, never had any issues apart from the bloody dust, good bite from cold. B)

I have EBC greens on the HI Spec 4 pot fronts on my MR2, they're pretty damn good but then that's probably down to the big ol' calipers as well.

Pagids are fantastic, they used to do 'fast road pads' which were relatively inexpensive but I think they've stopped making them. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.