Dont know whether to do track or not

scorps1212

Hey guys

I dont know what to do.

When it comes to JapFest at Castle Combe, i want to take my car round the track. Heard its only an extra £20. A lot cheaper than going to a track and running what ya brung.

But was speaking to a mate today, who's never done a track day but has been to JapFest last year, and he adviced against doing track on this event cause the track is usually packed and easily a chance of getting my car crashed into.

I cant afford to do a normal track day which is why i was gunna do it at JapFest. On the other hand i dont wanna come away from JapFest with a bumper missing or a rear panel dented.

What do you guys reckon? Is track at JapFest really that bad? I've never been.

I am not a fan of show track days due to the 'heroes' you get that have never been on track but go full on from the start. The only way I do it is like at PPC in the park where we are arranging a club only session.

If you do do it make sure you just take it at your own pace, give the person in front plenty of space unless you are overtaking of course and keep checking your mirrors for people wanting to overtake you :)

I wouldn't reccomend Castle Coombe for novices, other than to do 'fast parade laps' and enjoy the experience of being on a circuit. The is very little distance between the edge of the black stuff and the tyres / armco.

If you want to push the car to the limits and learn, I would reccomend an airfield trackday. If (when) you overcook it you'll just slide out past the cones onto more black stuff (or white stuff)

Another (cheaper) and very worthwhile learning experience is to do autosolos or 'more open' autotests suitable for larger cars (traditional autotests are very small & tight normally). Entry fees typically £30 or less plus annual membership of an MSA club (normally £15-£20), no special equipment needed, not even a helmet.

I've always wanted to get into track days, but the idea of binning my Celica horrifies me! Plus if I did ditch it i'd then be stuck without a car. I've only done 4 laps of the Nurburgring which was fantastic fun, but I was so relieved after finishing that I had a car still in one piece, especially given the reputation of that circuit!

Something which may be worth considering and I've looked into (but never actually gone through with) is a novice only track day. You're put with everyone of the same skill and have a bit of extra instruction, plus they're quite cheap as usually under £100 for the day.

http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/novice-only.aspx

You can also do taster sessions at some tracks - 20 minutes of track time for £25.

http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/taster-sessions.aspx

Remember track day insurance! Its not too expensive (I think I paid £90 for a full day at the 'ring) but only covers your car and not any third party cars or infrastructure you crash into (nearly impossible to get insurance for this.) I believe the un-written rule of track days is that you're responsible for any damage to your car, no matter who or what may have caused it.

Can remember my old boss from good few years back binning his recently purchased pride n joy Porche on a first time track day and my sisters ex had total write off of his new Suzuki GSX 1000 and a broken leg to boot (self employed....) though no way should he have been on a track the idiot.

Dont know what happened with insurance on the Porche but whatever he had didnt pay out for his car :(

Interesting about novices on track being worried. My suggestion is that novices are more likely to have problems when they are all together on track at the same time, whereas on a dedicated club track day like our Hou runs at Blyton, novices are infinitely safer on track with experienced drivers at the same time.

Toyed briefly with the idea of having a bit of time at the BHP show at Lydden,few of the guys from the Kent Car club went on last year and it looked a good track to have a pop on,though later while we were there one or two people were going a bit silly,one guy in an old Metro which was obviously tuned was driving like a complete twat,the second time he nearly completely lost it he was pulled by the marshals ,stopped his day and was bollocked much to the amusement of the crowd.

I did think however that if id been out there there was a good chance of being walloped by a twat like that and after all the work ive put into my car,then just going on track as part of a show where you could end up on track with any Tom Dick or Harry isnt worth the risk to me and put me off so i wont do it this year when i go in May.Maybe do it as part of an organised day with a club or something,i think the Kent club were toying with the idea of having some time on there with just their members on,which is a lot more appealing though i would spend most of my time looking in my mirrors as they all seem to have Monaros and Saleen Mustangs amongst the guys these days LOL

Edited by thesherv

HOU when is the next one?

Working on it dude along with PPC at Mallory in May

As David said, a good mixture is most likely the best way for a track day. Blyton is a cracking track for beginners plus gives plenty of space for overtaking :)

i went on combe about 3yrs ago now which was my 1st time on the forge action day, and never had a problem, so i would do it if you want, the only time youll crash is if your not concentrating or are going far too fast, ive seen stupid mistakes over the yrs there, and ive only seen 1 car wipe another out, its mainly 1 car crashes when they take a carner too fast, the last one i was at my other half went out on track and loved every minuite of it and there was over 25 cars on track at once :)

In the two track days I've done at Blyton I've only see one kit car drop one of its front struts and come grinding to a halt. No injuries and no damage to other vehicles. Plus two GT4s, one on each track day. Interestingly, in both cases I was hot on their tails when they spun out. I had plenty if time to stop for both though and again no injuries or damage. Blyton rocks as a track to learn on.

I've never heard of Mallory but just had a quick look and it looks like a nice little circuit, it even smaller than Blyton. Only two hours from me so I'll be there. Don't you fancy an earlier one fella?

Edited by Serratia

Track days are about as much fun as you can have fully clothed. I've driven at Bruntingthorpe, Elvington, Llandow, North Weald and my all time favourite Anglesey (several times). All the track days I've been on have been well organised and I've only seen one 'incident' which was due to an idiot in a BMW arsing about and planting his car in the pit wall. :lol:

As far as binning it I think I've spun my car on the majority of track days but never sustained damage, at Bruntingthorpe I think I lost it at near enough 60 mph and spun 3 times accross the grass. That was the fastest I ever lost it, most of the time you're not really going quick enough to travel too farr off the track unless you're being a prat.

I've not heard a single good report of the JapFest track experience at Castle Coombe, too many idiots on the track.

wait for hou to arrange the next track day, it will be more expensive but you have all day to go round and take your time

april was my first track experience not in a kart or a bike, and i loved it. I just gave myself 3 laps at a time so i could warm everything up - then go for it - and give everything enough time to cool down.

make sure your brake fluid is upgraded which is cheap to do and that your car is roadworthy and safe. we had no accidents and had a great day out. I have money in a jar already for this years and hoping its at blyton again ;)

Thanks for all the advice guys. Didnt realise i would have got so many. Lol. But real good advice.

I think im gunna skip the track then and just turn up for the event.

But i will definitely be up for a group track day. Least ill know going in to it, any damage happens to my car, its more than likely to be my fault. Lol. Where will it be posted? On the meetings section?

Thanks for all the advice guys. Didnt realise i would have got so many. Lol. But real good advice.

I think im gunna skip the track then and just turn up for the event.

But i will definitely be up for a group track day. Least ill know going in to it, any damage happens to my car, its more than likely to be my fault. Lol. Where will it be posted? On the meetings section?

yeah the last ones where on the meeting section, when Hou arranges the next one i will drop you a Pm to point you to it :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.