Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

i say chase it up or it will come back and bite you in the ass. my thoughts are if you dont chase it they will reinstate the fine and not contact you untill its to late and you will have to pay double.

for the test do they have to take a reading of ambient noise and then deduct that from the final number? i always thought that taking a noise reading from a source out side a sound controlled room was impossible and at best all you could do was get a rough guesstimate out side of controled conditions. this is why they stopped it from being part of the MOT as they couldnt guarantee the results.

on another note im glad that we have solved all the murders and robberies in the country to free up the police for this sort of thing. well done the constabulary. :thumbs: good job.

The only crime in Norfolk is road crime.

Well apart from the odd Murder on the Broads, maybe a stabbing or 2 on a Sat night in the center of Norwich, oh a bit of sheep rustling, and of course the biggest danger to human life, Boy racers (those in their 40's) in Celicas with exhausts that are far too loud.

No other crime to report ;)

i say chase it up or it will come back and bite you in the ass. my thoughts are if you dont chase it they will reinstate the fine and not contact you untill its to late and you will have to pay double.

for the test do they have to take a reading of ambient noise and then deduct that from the final number? i always thought that taking a noise reading from a source out side a sound controlled room was impossible and at best all you could do was get a rough guesstimate out side of controled conditions. this is why they stopped it from being part of the MOT as they couldnt guarantee the results.

on another note im glad that we have solved all the murders and robberies in the country to free up the police for this sort of thing. well done the constabulary. :thumbs: good job.

They do note the ambient noise, It was 53.1dB. (as a note our works Metrology inspection lab is at 81dB, that is just the noise of the aircon)

The only crime in Norfolk is road crime.

Well apart from the odd Murder on the Broads, maybe a stabbing or 2 on a Sat night in the center of Norwich, oh a bit of sheep rustling, and of course the biggest danger to human life, Boy racers (those in their 40's) in Celicas with exhausts that are far too loud.

No other crime to report ;)

The biggest dangers to human life on the roads in Norfolk are the bloody pot-holes and stray sugarbeet on blind bends, pillocks who don't know what the orange flashy things are at each corner of their car, Kamikazi wildlife, Deer, Rabbits, Pheasants, wood pidgeons etc. Not to mention the danger to a few work colleagues nearly being run over by either Tesla Roadsters or by other hybrid / Electric vehicles we are working on. Can't hear the 'effin things when they are manouvering in the workshop.

They test ambient prior to the exhaust test and it is the average noise result after 3 tests. The area where they test is well away from trees, grass, walls or roads. The ISO spec states there must be a 3 metre clear zone around the test area.

I do not have an issue with how the test was conducted, it's how the test results are interpreted I have the issue with.

If they really wanted to go to Town on testing, then they should have taken it to the nearest available Semi-anechoic chamber which eliminates any outside interference in noise.

For those that don't know what they look like, here's our little one at work.

nvh-anechoic-chamber-lotus-evora-414e-21_06_12_3b.jpg?w=300&h=199

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Another update on this joke of a test.

They (Norfolk Constabulary) are waiting from a statement from the issuing officer as to whether he thought the test was conducted and ticket issued correctly to the guidelines he was given. If yes then the fixed penalty stands, even though the ISO spec contradicts their form, and the only way to over rule this would be a court hearing.

God I love the way this Counrty is policed..... NOT

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

My exact feelings too. And I thought you were meant to be innocent until proven guilty, NOT the.other way round. Even though they have been given the correct test procedure they choose to ignore it . Will keep you all informed on the continuing fiasco

Anither update on this joke of a test.

They (Norfolk Constabulary) are waiting from a statement from the issuing officer as to whether he thought the test was conducted and ticket issued correctly to the guidelines he was given. If yes then the fixed penalty stands, even though the ISO spec contradicts their form, and the only way to over rule this would be a court hearing.

God I love the way this Counrty is policed..... NOT

i was talking about this with my mate a couple of months ago after my brother got pulled in suffolk as they are quite hot on this. hes a member on an RX7 forum and a bloke on there has been pulled twice and taken them to court and won twice! ill try and find out why/how he won.

i was talking about this with my mate a couple of months ago after my brother got pulled in suffolk as they are quite hot on this. hes a member on an RX7 forum and a bloke on there has been pulled twice and taken them to court and won twice! ill try and find o

ut why/how he won.

I've heard that Suffolk Polizi are tougher on noise pollution from cars, and I did hear that they go by a different test (not confirmed though). Would be interesting to hear the RX7 chaps take on this.

Jesus.Either you have a set -in-stone- law that has a consistent,official set of guidelines,with a proper system of enforceability or you bloody don't.Its either right or its wrong.With this amount of umming and aaahing over the way its been handled,how the hell could this stand up?

During yesterday had 3 behind me at various times, kept the revs down but the hardest was on the way to JAE exiting a motorway services to rejoin the m/way there was one sitting in the sliproad :doh: luckily m/way wasnt busy as had to join it at 40mph :laugh2:

Where did you stay mate? could have got to gether and had a little "mini-meet"

Stayed with the missus' Nan, she lives in the old people area round the back of Lidl, we didnt stay long but we are going back so Ill give you guys a shout next time I head back up there! Hopefully next time Ill be supercharged too! :D

Stayed with the missus' Nan, she lives in the old people area round the back of Lidl, we didnt stay long but we are going back so Ill give you guys a shout next time I head back up there! Hopefully next time Ill be supercharged too! :D

A mile from Monkey and 7 from me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.