Rotary polisher

im thinking of getting a Rotary polisher,can anyone name a few that are good? also having not used one i dont wanna go mess up my paint by useing it wrong,anyone got any tips,is there a special way of useing them etc

There are 2 main types, Rotary or Dual Action, Dual Action ones are more expensive, but due to the dual action/random orbit, they are much safer to use for a novice

This is the one i have and never burnt any paint in the 3 years i've had it

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-dual-action-polisher/cat_71.html

I had and used one for 3 years working on the car lot.

Results are amazing as you can see by John's

Get a good cutting compound, use cold water, don't push hard or stay in one point for to long.

Easy to get the hang of, but can brake your back after a few hours.

The one i used was a bosch angle grinder with a sponge attachment, with G3 cutting compound

Follow up with a nice high gloss polish and, super shiney B)

Edited by GTsillycar

There are 2 main types, Rotary or Dual Action, Dual Action ones are more expensive, but due to the dual action/random orbit, they are much safer to use for a novice

This is the one i have and never burnt any paint in the 3 years i've had it

http://www.cleanyour...her/cat_71.html

so whats best then and the main diffrence?

I had and used one for 3 years working on the car lot.

Results are amazing as you can see by John's

Get a good cutting compound, use cold water, don't push hard or stay in one point for to long.

Easy to get the hang of, but can brake your back after a few hours.

The one i used was a bosch angle grinder with a sponge attachment, with G3 cutting compound

Follow up with a nice high gloss polish and, super shiney B)

sure would be easyer than doing it all by hand lol

Yo

Get a rotary, DA's are for pussies. You will do NO damage to your paint unless you put about 250'0000000000lb of pressure on and make it burn.

I have this combo:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/sim180-rotary-polisher/sim180-complete-meguiars-kit/prod_532.html

The machine's quite heavy...not overly though, and the cable's a bit short. But get yourself a lengthy extension cable and you're sorted.

It's weird at first, feels like the machine wants to pull in any direction other than you want it to. I found that holding the D-handle lightly and guiding it with the hand I was holding the trigger end with was the best technique.

Jap pain is quite soft, so easy to correct. The compound in that kit is a piece of piss to use and I was quite harsh on my car to see what'd happen and nothing bad came of it. I got virtually every swirl out, could of gotten even better results but the days are short this time of year so called it quits around 3pm. About a month later and my paint is still looking good

DSCN0060.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

But it won't work miracles, obviously stone chips need to be touched in and flattened back...which is what I'm going to do to these:

DSCN0058.jpg

Less of a worry on a white car though!

Compared to how the roof was (whole car was like this tbh)

IMG_4725.jpg

Epic results.

Here you go, could be a last min bargin

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Epic bargain, GET that.

If you are not bothered about weight then get yourself a Silverline one, £40 max and it is what I have . The results you get are amazing:

DSCN0905.jpg

DSCN0926.jpg

Get one, read the thread on detailing world, test on a scrap panel and away you go :)

I'm gonna disagree that you cannot get damage unless you use loads of pressure.

I have had my Sealey rotary for about 8 years and polished many cars.

Initially, I used on an FTO and melted the paint on one corner.

I was more careful after that. Just keep the thing moving and lubed with water.

I have also had a Festool RO150 electric DA sander, converted to polisher and it is superb.

Lightweight, fast, huge torque.

Can polish cars and can also apply and remove wax at a fast, fast rate.

Expensive for the Festool, but my understanding is that the silverline and other polishers are similar, maybe just not as much torque.

In my experience, hand polishing or waxing does not achieve the same results.

Reduced time and effort is the clincher for me.

By the way, I have described waxing and polishiong as two different process here.

For me, polishing is cutting into paint, waxing is laying product OVER the paint. hth

Yeah you can damage it, but you've got to be pretty heavy handed. I put loads of pressure onto the rotary and it didn't do anything. Naturally this will be dependent on the speed your polisher is running at, the pad and the cutting compound. I think for what this chap needs doing, the kit I bought and a bit of practice is all he needs...it's not rocket science really.

Also, hand polishing could never ever achieve the same results as using a rotary. You simply can't match 2000rpm with an arm...unless you've got access to the Million Dollar Man :lol:

You spend a lot of your time filling cobwebs/marks rather than removing them...then it just goes back to looking shit within a week or two.

Yeah you can damage it, but you've got to be pretty heavy handed. I put loads of pressure onto the rotary and it didn't do anything. Naturally this will be dependent on the speed your polisher is running at, the pad and the cutting compound. I think for what this chap needs doing, the kit I bought and a bit of practice is all he needs...it's not rocket science really.

Also, hand polishing could never ever achieve the same results as using a rotary. You simply can't match 2000rpm with an arm...unless you've got access to the Million Dollar Man :lol:

You spend a lot of your time filling cobwebs/marks rather than removing them...then it just goes back to looking shit within a week or two.

any chance of some lessons lol mine really could do with a good going over,its just lost its shine lately,think its the shit weather,and i havent had a chance to give it a good going over,the thing i was thinking is cos the celica is quite curvy,doesnt this make it harder? sure if you was polishin a box on wheels surely it would be alot easer,but dont you have to be careful on the curvys ?

I've got a Dodo Juice DA polisher and a bottle of 3M Fast Cut. It removes quite a few scratches and brings back the shine. Main thing with DA's is it takes time to correct the paint. Rotary's are quicker but more aggressive hence the risk of damage

After reading this thread I decided to get my rotary polisher out and give the car a going over, only tend to user it about once a year. 4 1/2 hours later the car has been wash then polished using G3 compound and the rotary polisher then a coat of autoglym high definition wax. Think you definately get a better shine than by hand. Already for Saturdays party now! :D

Jancelica4.jpg

jancelica3.jpg

jancelica2.jpg

jancelica20121.jpg

jancelica2012.jpg

If I'd give one tip, keep the polisher head nice and wet, so it doesn't grab or burn the paint and WEAR WATERPROOFS, you may look a bit daft but a wet polisher head spinning at 2-3000 rpm will spray water and compound everywhere!!! I wear an old waterproof jacket and trousers and work boots and by the end I have more on me than the car!!!

Well, polishing isn't my strong point as anyone who knows me will agree (have never polished a car in my life - that's what a car wash is for).

Anyway, I have some kiddie rides to re-furb ready to go back to site next month. 10 years old, sun bleached and battered gel coat.

So following some advice from a friend of a friend over xmas and this thread I invested £20 in backing plate and box of pads and another £35 on cutting compound and polish.

P1020871.jpg

Polished up ready to get beaten up and covered in mud within days.

P1020869.jpg

Another one same age and from same site before washing / polishing.

P1020870.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.