looking for a torque wrench

Hey

Ive decided i need to get a torque wrench, just not knowing how much to torque bolts is not ideal.

So which one should I get that will serve me for all my car stuff from engine work, brakes and alloys to name but a few.

Ive seen a few on ebay for £20 or so...are they good enough? also what range of toqeu? ive seen one which is 15-80Nm and another is 28-200Nm...not sure which I should get.

Also maybe a possibility of a GB as ats something a car must have

thanks in advance

The question always comes up as to whether to buy the simple bending beam type or the complicated dial gauge type. On a limited budget, there is an argument that says the bending beam is the one to go for. I bought a Draper bending beam wrench years ago and it has been perfectly satisfactory. Some people say that they are not sufficiently accurate, but when you get in to the whole business about how the cleanliness (or lack of it) of threads greatly affects torque measurements, great accuracy is not really required.

I have two. One for 10-50, and another for 40-140, IIRC.

Bear in mind that a torque wrench won't like operating at the extremities of their range. Also, for lower ranges of torque, the wrenches will be smaller. You need around 100Nm for wheel nuts. Buy the best you can afford.

I have a Halfords Professional 40-200 NM. Cost me about 70.00.

Fantastic piece of kit.

I'm always losing it to my son who has it away for the tractors and combine.

It's half inch drive but I've got different drive adapters for sockets.

there was a review a while back and the halfords torque wrench came out on top for it price. also if u can get your hands on a trade card the £80 wrench drops to £50 not sure how much the small one will be reduced buy but any save is a good save

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_178621_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

You get wot you pay for is what you have to bear in mind. I have a snap on one for work which covers the high range bt a halfords one for small range. The halfords one has bin really gd and reliable as it seems to hold good calibration......however I had a 20 quid one previous to this for low range, some non-descript thing and after 6 months of fairly little use the calibration tech rejected it and said unable to calibrate. So although it maybe 40-60 quid for the halfords range its well worth it when tightening critical parts of your pride n joy! :D hope this helps! ( obviously only have a snap on high range as I use it all the time)

I may have one you can have for the cost of postage. I'll dig it out and look at the range for you. I'll test it at work on the meter before I send it so it is tested for you as well.

I'm living out of boxes at the mo because of the house move so will need a few days to sort it if you want it.

Proof yet again that this is the nicest forum around.

Otherwise, I'd recommend using the free one...but saving up for a good one. Having a need to have accurate torque settings and buying cheap, don't go hand in hand unfortunately. I'm gonna get one at some point, but an expensive beast that will stand the test of time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.