FT-86 GETTING SUBARU 305HP 2.5LTR STI ENGINE

mckezik

Toyota Extending Subaru Product Sharing to Highlander-Tribeca

FT-86 to Get More Powerful Subie STI Engine

January 03, 2011 / By Todd Lassa

Toyota is studying how to more closely converge its products with Subaru, and might share its next-generation Highlander midsize crossover platform with the Tribeca. The two have similar dimensions, notes a source familiar with the tie-in.

As always with Subaru, the sticking point is how to share a platform that would use a longitudinally mounted boxer engine, in the case of the Tribeca, with a transverse-mounted engine, as in the Highlander. The platform also will have to accommodate a hybrid version of the Highlander, and it's a good bet the system would be adapted to the pancake-engine Tribeca.

Toyota tackles the problem with the upcoming FT-86 rear-wheel-drive sports coupe by going with a Subaru pancake engine -- the STI's 305-horsepower, 290 pound-foot version of the 2.5-liter turbo four, our source says. Earlier reports had the FT-86 launching with less-powerful Subaru engines. Toyota's development costs have ballooned, however, and the FT-86 is now seen as a mid-$20s car rather than a sub-$20,000 car.

Subaru's version of the 086A, as the project is known, is still scheduled for 2013 model year introduction and will likely be sold with all-wheel drive only, as part of its differentiation from the Toyota.

Subaru is leading development of the 086A, while the converged crossover platform looks to be more of a Toyota project. To accommodate both types of engines, the platform could be the same from the A-pillar back, but would need a different floorpan from the firewall forward. Subaru's flat engines require specific solutions for crash standards.

As for the crossover/utility vehicles, both the Camry-based Toyota Highlander and the slow-selling Subaru Tribeca are due for replacement in the 2014 model year.

from http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...eca/index.html

Edited by mckezik

toyota corolla , the most reliable car ever made , subaru the most errrr , the well known forrrrr errrr , the most likely to ummm

yeah stick a scooby engine in , that makes sense , why not ask fiat to do the elecs while your there ?

doh!

being honest if it gets a scooby engine then im sure the gen 8 section will be rammed to the gills with `` its fooked again `` threads , i like the looks but wouldnt buy one with that engine in there

Yes it does have 2 heads, one on each side of the engine

I don't see a problem, if it makes the development of the car cheaper/quicker (which it will by sharing parts) then i can't see a problem, at least it's being done with another Japanese car firm, not like Nissan using a Renault engine in the 350Z

The boxer engine is a great design, it also has a very low centre of gravity due to the Boxer configuration and will have plenty of tuning potential (something that is rather lacking with current and old Toyota engines

I still wouldn't buy one though as i will never be able to afford one, but if it does at least become the new Celica then i'm all for carrying on the blood line

If they release it with the engine they originally proposed, 150bhp then this thing will fall flat on its face and be a huge embarrasement to Toyota when Subaru reveal theirs a year later with twice the horses and 4WD. Toyota need to get a 250-300bhp variant of this released at £23 - £26k, if they do I will sign up and hand over my money, if not I a call to Nissan and a lovely 370Z will do as a nice alternative.

with a 300bhp Subaru engine i would definatly hand over my reddies, i love the sound of the Boxer engine. coupled to the looks of FT-86, i shall be specking it up to the nines and be at the head os the que!! Woop woop, cant wait for this one!!

Edited by splinter

toyota corolla , the most reliable car ever made , subaru the most errrr , the well known forrrrr errrr , the most likely to ummm

yeah stick a scooby engine in , that makes sense , why not ask fiat to do the elecs while your there ?

doh!

being honest if it gets a scooby engine then im sure the gen 8 section will be rammed to the gills with `` its fooked again `` threads , i like the looks but wouldnt buy one with that engine in there

oh another person who hasn't got a clue :):o

with a 300bhp Subaru engine i would definatly hand over my reddies, i love the sound of the Boxer engine. coupled to the looks of FT-86, i shall be specking it up to the nines and be at the head os the que!! Woop woop, cant wait for this one!!

x2 on that, if i have the money income when this is out i will be thinking about getting it. i love the sound of the boxer engine, and turbo.....yes please

Exactly! and not forgetting RWD!!! its the one thing that bugs me about my Gen 7!! as much as i love it, it would be better with RWD!

But, here's hoping the Gen 8 comes out as good as its supposed to be.

Errr...

Haha, i know i know its not real and it doesnt sound like a subaru engine, but i liked it! haha.

EDIT: right, i see what i did there.... :)

NOW CORRECTED!!

Edited by splinter

its possible any benefit in the centre of gravity being lower from the boxer engine could be lost because it needs to sit quite far forward, would have been better with a compact inline 4 as far behind the front wheels as possible mid-front for better weight distribution. It'll still be good though, still feel linking it to the old ae86 is utterly retarded though, its a million miles away from a cheap lightweight, its going to be expensive and lardy :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.