Exhaust Noise MOT Failure

Jonny82

Hi all, looking for a bit of feedback. I fitted a japspeed backbox earlier this year, they seem quite popular and to be fair depsite the low cost it fit well and seems good quality.

DSC_1141_zpsepu1bgay.jpg

Anyhow, took the Celica for it's MOT today, the garage I use are now outsourcing MOT tests so it was performed by a second garage. When I picked it back up the tester had failed it on '(7.1.4) Exhaust noise in clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a silencer in average condition'. The silence bung was fitted as it always is so I'm a bit stumped as to why he failed it on this. I know a lot of members either have this type of exhaust or similar fitted, has anyone else had this raised on their mot? 

Is it noisy at a steady 3000rpm with the bung in. Also with the bung in - is it possible to put a pipe in to check the emissions still?

As for being a jobsworth - I dont think thats a fair comment - at the end of the day the tester doesn't know you and doesn't owe you any favours - why would he put his license and livelihood at risk for a stranger?

Cheers for the feedback. The silencer bung is always in, I finish work quite late so without wanting to upset the neighbors I've never run it without the silencer bung fitted. The MOT tester performed the emissions test with no problems so there was no issue with him getting the test pipe in there, it's just the noise he failed it on. I've just a bit stumped, half of the members on here have aftermarket exhausts fitted, I can't believe everyone's car is failing the mot on noise. 

That could make sense AMS. The garage I use have done all the MOT tests on the car since I bought it in 2014. They've got staffing problems at the moment and are short of MOT testers so they're outsourcing MOT tests, I've spoken to them this morning and they're going to ring the tester and see if he'll take a more diplomatic view on the re-test, should get some feedback tomorrow. I pointed out to them that if this outsourced MOT tester is just going to automatically fail it again I might as well just go elsewhere and get a fresh MOT done.

The problem you have is if you go somewhere and mention that it failed elsewhere because of the exhaust - they probably wont want to pass it as it shows the failure on the history. So you might be taking your chances again.

Here we go again, Noisy exhaust brigade come out to spoil our fun. As many members know I went through this with Plod a few years ago.

To be fair though, an MOT tester can fail a vehicle with what he thinks is a noisy exhaust. BUT it is just the 'perception of noise' that is very open to debate. An MOT testing station is not allowed check the dB reading of an exhaust and fail it. 

The construction & use regulations state that a vehicle must not be over 82dB, BUT and this is where they are in the dark, the dB reading of 82dB is tested on a certified tarmac roadway at a 30mph drive by test.

Static tests are used in exhaust vehicle testing, in accordance with ISO5130, (as used by the police) but there is no results as a pass or fail with that ISO standard, it is just a procedure for checking / standardising noise testing (The test is done at 3750rpm)

If you import a vehicle or build a kit car and go for an SVA test, then the limit is 99dB set at 3/4 revs (Between 0 & red line)  This is similar to the tests they do at race tracks for noise. Each track has a different limit, but the test procedure is the same.

Going back to the MOT tester, I would take the car to another MOT station as the one who failed it for  'Exhaust noise in clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a silencer in average condition'  clearly does not like loud cars.

If another MOT station comments on the exhaust, you can say to them you have a bung in it, supplied by the manufacturer to quieten it down.

Also as far as the law goes, 'A replacement exhaust must not emit a noise louder than that fitted to the car originally' so any aftermarket exhaust , even a pattern replacement, could be deemed illegal..

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Thanks for all the comments, I'm speaking to the garage again tomorrow. They were due to have a chat with the tester this afternoon, I've explained that if he is going to stick to his guns there's no point wasting my time with a retest and I might as well take my business elsewhere. At the very least I'll go to the retest so I can speak to the outsource tester face to face. I'll keep you all posted with the outcome.

I had the exact same fail on an MOT a few years back. The place I took it to had their MOT's done at the Kwik-Fitt down the road which I didn't realise beforehand.

Another MOT tester shouldn't be so picky, I took mine elsewhere in the end and all was fine.

Just spoke to the garage again, they've spoken to the outsourced mot tester and they don't think he is going to budge, I said I was happy enough to have it listed as an advisory but they admitted they couldn't provide any assurance that he wouldn't fail it on the noise again. Time to find another MOT tester, any suggestions on a decent MOT test station in the Keighley (BD20) area?

I have the exact same exhaust and have passed 2 MOT's with it (bung has been in for both but I usually run without it).

I use a local garage that doesn't outsource it's MOT's. The parking area for staff also contains a nice selection of modified and classic cars........

Just for your own piece of mind and information use the DB readers that you can get on smart phones, they are quite accurate we use them for racing. The rules on how to take DB reading is on the net somewhere would be interesting to see what it is. Dorris

A quick update on proceedings... Took the Celica to a different garage this morning (thank you once again Planc for the recommendation), they found it quite comical that my old garage failed it on noise!! They also took their time with the emissions test, turned out my suspicions were right and the old garage hadn't warmed the engine up before performing the emissions test, just got to pop a new 02 sensor in tonight and then fingers crossed all will be sorted :-) 

Final update... the Celica flew through the emissions test this morning, the new lambda sensor has worked wonders, don't think it's ever been changed. If you're looking for a mot tester / garage in the Bingley / Keighley area give these guys a bell http://www.hargreavesgarage.co.uk/ They were really helpful, proper old school, the type of garage that are happy to take the time to explain anything you're not sure of, can't recommend them enough :-) 

• Like 3

Phil who now runs the above garage trained me as an apprentice at the Toyota main dealership I worked for.

My quote was "Phil taught me everything I know and I still know f@&£ all".

Phils quote was " I taught Andy too much and it lost me my job":lol:

I haven't seen him for a couple of years, I will have to pay him a visit soon.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.