New state of the art police speeding van in North Yorks

Me and a red Gen 7 tonight were nearly caught out by the new menace on the A64.... and no we weren't racing, just over taking a line of slow moving traffic on the dual

This new van has no high visual markings ... just looks like a silver mini winnebago ... Check out them testing it at Elvington

http://www.yorkpress...eeding/?ref=rss

- has five cameras providing 360-degree coverage, would be deployed on more than 100 identified speeding hotspots in York and North Yorkshire.

- the cameras could detect the speed of approaching traffic from up to 1,000 metres away

- the camera software would prevent people lying about who was behind the wheel as an image on DVD is taken of the driver

- the system will record other traffic violations, including not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone.

Was trying to find some footage on YTube of the new vans... but found this camera/driver instead, and thought maybe some of you might find it amusing

http://www.youtube.c...DesGarrett&aq=f

Edited by The Blue Meenie

i thought they had to be highly visible wiv speed signs all over the van??

Appears not .. look at the ones they are using in Dublin

They don't need to be marked if they are in an area sign posted as having speed cameras

There's no warning on the road that they are mobile... In Brid at least there's signs everywhere to warn you

Test driving it here first for 6 months, then will be putting it in other North Yorks spots... Shame ... A64 use to be a lovely run in the morning ... will have to go Castle Howard way now (at least it's more scenic)

The story states that 25% of accidents over the last 3 years were caused by speed ... wonder how this will help stop the other 75%?.

And primarily, its designed to catch motorcyclist's ... I wonder what percentage of the 25% were bikers ?

Smacks of the typical North Yorkshire Police, ANTI BIKER stance that has 5 bikers up on charges of causing death by reckless driving because a friend of theirs following, got killed in an accident :(.

The story states that 25% of accidents over the last 3 years were caused by speed ... wonder how this will help stop the other 75%?.

And primarily, its designed to catch motorcyclist's ... I wonder what percentage of the 25% were bikers ?

Smacks of the typical North Yorkshire Police, ANTI BIKER stance that has 5 bikers up on charges of causing death by reckless driving because a friend of theirs following, got killed in an accident :(.

We've never had camera's up here, that's why it's been car and biker heaven until now. The problem we have is the roads, and the amount of traffic on them.. not really the speeding. People head to the coast when the sun shines, and because the roads aren't dual (only part heading towards York), they get stuck in stand still heading towards Whitby and Scarborough and a nearby Theme Park. The fustration (fueled with heat) hits the drivers and they make mistakes.. I saw two incidents this weekend.. both caused at 10 -20 mph . runnins... their concentration just lapsed for a couple of seconds ....

dirty feckin tricks from the cops as usual , when will they ever get there employees of us and we dont want them spunking silly amounts of money on a van to detect speeding bikes , we want the fookers who turn our towns and city centers into dirty stinking shitholes that no-one can venture into clean , secure and as safe as it should ever ever be

we the public pay their wages and don't want these speed camera vans and yet we still end up having them. summat wrong there!

You may not want them, but I'd bet a month's pay that, over the whole UK population, you're in the minority.

I think there's a place for speed cameras, and it's not on open highways. They should be exclusively used near schools, heavily populated public places and so on. About time we caught up with Germany and had higher/limitless speeds allowed on our motorways.

Edited by hypercatjohn

Were one of the most cctv filled nation in the world, have some of the safest roads in europe yet still are penalised so heavily in both fuel, speeding fines, parking, insurance.

The ratio's just don't work out to justify it to me, uk motorists are seen as a bit of a pocket filler.

Another nice way for them to make a lot of money.... :angry:

Pah!

Accidents aren't caused by speed.

They're caused by an idiot.

The speed they travel at is only a small factor in the accident, only because they obviously don't have the proficiency to safely control their vehicle at whatever speed they were doing.

But to say that speed caused the accident is stupid.

You can drive as fast as you like in a straight line on the Bonneville salt flats and i bet you don't have an accident... until you do something stupid.

:angry:

Edited by InsolentMinx

I'd rather they put the money from all these fines into giving teachers much deserved pay rises than paying for Soldiers to be shipped off to wanky little countries that have names ending in 'Stan that can't control themselves.

*awaits torrid reaction*

Another nice way for them to make a lot of money.... :angry:

Pah!

Accidents aren't caused by speed.

They're caused by an idiot.

The speed they travel at is only a small factor in the accident, only because they obviously don't have the proficiency to safely control their vehicle at whatever speed they were doing.

But to say that speed caused the accident is stupid.

You can drive as fast as you like in a straight line on the Bonneville salt flats and i bet you don't have an accident... until you do something stupid.

:angry:

With you, but it's not just the driver, it's other drivers, unforseen situations, bad road conditions

Speed does play a factor, but usually only on overly twisty, unmaintained UK roads that are enough to unsettle even the most stable of cars.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.