eBay:Old photos used to sell car

Won a Gen6 St on Sunday, and have organised to collect tonight. Anyway the seller gave me the address so I took the opportunity to check it out before collection. The eBay listing had good high res images which showed (what I presumed) the condition of the car. We'll lets just say it's not as good as the photos. Both bumpers have damage, a dent on the n/s rear arch and a smashed wing mirror. I got home and checked through the images and none of this is in the photos. Then I noticed the tax disc in the photos is different than what's on the car now!

So it appears the seller has used older photos when the car was in better condition to sell it.

Ok I got it cheap and it's more of a parts/project car. But some of the bits that are damaged I wanted for my GT. I'm in two minds, whether to walk away as the car is not as described or get the seller to knock off some cash due to the damage.

What would you guys do?

I would go and them you can say the item is not as described to him personally and he then can't list you as an unpacking bidder or time waster and see if you can get the price down due to the damage

Edited by carlasumm

Check his history out a bit more if possible with ebay, has he sold many cars, with similar issues. Personally it is blatantly not as described no matter how cheap. How can you trust anything he has stated re the car, cheap maybe, but it could also be a total pain in the butt, and may be only fit as scrap value.

Hope this helps a bit

Go over there while it is still light and take a few photos of the car as proof and tell whoever is at the house or leave a note if there is no one there saying that using the old photos was a misrepresentation of the vehicle and you no longer want it.

Due to their misrepresentation of the vehicle you will be informing ebay and you cannot be marked down for not buying it or timewasting.

I wouldnt buy the car because A) he has deliberately tried to rip someone off and doesnt deserve the sale no mattter how cheap he offers it and

B ) you can no longer trust him and you dont know what else is wrong with the car.

Edited by ReloadedSR
  • Like 2

get some pics of it to compare it to mate, tell him then to stick it and demand your deposit back or you will open a case with paypal/ebay

hate wankers that try to pull the wool :angry:

usually your gut instinct is the right one, personally I would have walked away.

Dont forget on ebay you can buy feedback, I have seen many accounts up for sale. so even 100 percent feedback is no guarantee.

usually your gut instinct is the right one, personally I would have walked away.

Dont forget on ebay you can buy feedback, I have seen many accounts up for sale. so even 100 percent feedback is no guarantee.

Wow fuji I didnt know that ,Might sell mine hahahaha

Wow fuji I didnt know that ,Might sell mine hahahaha

They usually do it by offering something stupid such as buy a 1p coin for 2p or used sim cards for 1p. The exchange is good feed back for a good feedback. Search 1p aution on ebay. They can generate a high good feedback for little cost the account is usually sold on in the disguise of an ongoing business.

Dodgy seller buys it, off loads a load of dodgy or non excistent stuff quick, dissapears. Peeps just see 100% good feedback and trust the seller. So if you look at a feedback and its all private run away!!

I would go and them you can say the item is not as described to him personally and he then can't list you as an unpacking bidder or time waster and see if you can get the price down due to the damage

What?

I would say drive the price down a lot for the damage etc, but if he wont budge it walk away and bill him for your fuel for deliberately misleading!

Edited by James7

Nice man! That's the way. I mean if it's a good strong car, you can get away with those bits and bobs being on it as you can repair it - it's just when the seller doesn't say anything about it.

Well pleased for you :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.