White gunge in oil filler cap

ArgoS

Has anyone noticed they have white gunge in their oil filler cap. I checked my oil tonight and the dipstick was showing low oil but clear oil not murky, then i noticed white gunge in the filler cap so cleaned it and did a top up. I checked the water levels and no change at all, full as usual. I am summarising it is just down to theses frequent changes in bad weather. Also engine is in great shape and only has 42000 miles on it so don't think is anything serious as no blue smoke but do seem to get a lot of steam from exhaust on really cold days. Any ideas anyone ??

My lead nurse had the same thing.

Came running into the ward with a creamy filler cap shouting,"what's this?" (Im the resident car nut at work)

I advised he went to the garage and they said its emulsified due to the constant sharp increase and decrease of temp. Given the weather is shot as of late, that'd be my guess.

Either way, a 20 quid check may just save you a fortune

99% of these problems are caused by short journeys exaggerated by the cold weather.Basically the engine isn’t getting hot enough to steam off the moisture that naturally happens within engines so causing condensation and when mixed with oil it results in a white creamy gunk on top of the oil.It’s easy enough to cure, make sure your oil and coolant are at the correct level and take it for a damn good run. If this is the case it’s nothing to worry about but consistent short journeys for a car with out the occasional blast isn’t good for a car or its engine.If it was head gasket you would get this gunk in the radiator filler cap, excessive steam out the exhaust when hot and an over pressurizing expansion bottle and no coolant left in the engine. Dorris

Edited by Dorris

My bet would be as Shaungtr said. Condensation due to short runs ans the engine temp not getting hot enough for long enough to evaporate it.

My son's Seat Leon and his brothers VW Golf both suffered from this recently, also one of their friends Fiesta's had a similar issue. the beather pipes get gunged up over time and cant clear the "Mayo".

If it were head gasket you would see either water in the oil, or more commonly oil in the water and the coolant system get pressurised much quicker than normal. also the coolant will be quite frothy.

Cheers everyone for great feedback. I'm only wary because this is engine was only recently fitted due to the hydro shock problem i had. Checked it again today, no new gunge build up in filler cap and oil is really clean, water is clear also with no bubbles or smell of exhaust fumes coming from water filler bottle, radiator is spotless inside also. Plus no sweet smell from exhaust that could suggest burning antifreeze. So going to go for a good long drive out tonight :) Once the weather changes for the better ill do a full re service, it's has only just passed a MOT so it should keep on motoring for yonks and yonks. By the way it only failed on a front wheel bearing that only cost me 20 odd quid to put right, Damn I love Toyota's

Just as Dorriss and others have said, At this time of year when its cold and damp many cars do this, the cam cover is cooler than the rest of the engine so condensation will form inside creating this stuff that looks a bit like Mayonaise - (oil and water when mixed emulsify) but wont occur in any other part of the engine .If this stuff is in the rest of the engine then that would probably be down to a leaky head gasket (unlikely with these engines)

Short journeys make the problem worse, but its nothing to worry about.

Edited by foxxy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.