Car wont start

Nemesis

Well for the first time ever my car wont start :( no idea whats wrong wrong with it so have called out Flux rescue to see if they can get it going again. She was running fine yesterday but now wont fire probably something simple but will have to wait & see & just hope it isnt something costly

Sorry forgot about this post as when rescue turned up the car started first time although it did cough a bit before the engine started. Sort of same thing happened again this morning. The car started this time & coughed a bit before getting going then cut out twice in the first mile on my way to an appointment, after the appointment it coughed again when starting but then ran fine. No idea whats wrong with it :angry:

Sorry forgot about this post as when rescue turned up the car started first time although it did cough a bit before the engine started. Sort of same thing happened again this morning. The car started this time & coughed a bit before getting going then cut out twice in the first mile on my way to an appointment, after the appointment it coughed again when starting but then ran fine. No idea whats wrong with it :angry:

I would check all the wiring to the sensors ,give them a wiggle ,may be a broken wire,,or of course a dodgey sensor..

Your leads could be absorbing water or condensation overnight.....means a weak and erratic spark to the plugs that cures itself if you do get it started by drying out with the heat from the engine once it's running. Then it re-ocurrs the next day if it's been damp.......

A spray of ignition lacquer seals the leads for a very long time........not WD40!

Asda fuel?

Have you changed the fuel filter?

I did get some Jet fuel a couple of weeks ago but back to using shell now, I did think it might be bad fuel but will have to use all thats in the tank first, not sure how long that will take as still off sick from work & not using the car much

Treat the old girl to a new set of plugs, Phil.

I'm going to order a new set of Halo plugs from Crewchief

I would check all the wiring to the sensors ,give them a wiggle ,may be a broken wire,,or of course a dodgey sensor..

Not even sure where they all are :lol:

Your leads could be absorbing water or condensation overnight.....means a weak and erratic spark to the plugs that cures itself if you do get it started by drying out with the heat from the engine once it's running. Then it re-ocurrs the next day if it's been damp.......

A spray of ignition lacquer seals the leads for a very long time........not WD40!

I had a look for ignition lacquer on google & couldnt find any mention of it, nor ebay for that matter. Any idea where I could get some? I assume it would also be worth giving the electrics a spray of wd40 just in case

The car is overdue for a service but dont have the money at the moment so will have to try a few things like changing the plugs first

worth giving the electrics a spray of wd40 just in case

that gives me "the fear" - watched someone do this when it was pouring down one night in Largs - i even hung around in the rain to watch the fire brigade extinguish what was left of the car . . . . .

The product is called "Holts damp start".............it laquers the leads and cap etc. so that moisture can't penetrate.

Back in the day it was a very common Toyota problem once the leads were a few years old........wouldn't start first thing in the morning but once you got it started it would start the rest of the day....then next morning misfiring!

A spray of that cured it for months.

It might not be anything to do with that but perhaps you only had trouble now the weather is changing? Especially if you don't use it every day.......

My old honda civic sometimes doesnt start when its been raining heavily overnight, i always just spray wd40 on the leads, works every time :/

Got this from the wd40 website. "Displaces moisture from spark plug wires". My dad drives the civic now and he keeps a can of 40 in the glove box and uses it every couple of weeks. He really should just buy some new leads....

Hopefully found the problem, car wouldnt start again this morning so had to call out rescue again, they were very good & arrived in less than a half hour.

After trying to start the car for 20 minutes & the mechanic going through several options I heard a slight sparking noise while he was trying to start the car & it was traced to the ignition lead on the coil, a good soaking of WD40 got the car going so now have a new set of leads on order. Hopefully this will cure the problem & not find another one later in the week :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.