Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

catch 23 from pedantic lawyer. The joke is the exhausts are legal in the box but only becomes illegal when fitted to a car that had a prviously quieter exhaust. So if the aftermarket system fits 2 cars it could be legal on one and illegal on the other depending on the relative noise outputs before and after fitting. How many people know the Db output of the original system? How many aftermarket sellers could tell you the Db of the replacement system on your car when fitting, before you have bought it? OOoooooo I'd say approx zero.

"The law is a ass- a idiot" Mr Bumble.

Edited by daytona

Well done to you for sticking to your guns, and for at least showing that the copper was a lazy twat and hadn't done his observations or his job properly. Though when all is said and done I dont see how most of these issues with legality can still stand with so many unknown/unreliable factors. Joke.

Edited by thesherv

Well done to you for sticking to your guns, and for at least showing that the copper was a lazy twat and hadn't done his observations or his job properly. Though when all is said and done I dont see how most of these issues with legality can still stand with so many unknown/unreliable factors. Fucking joke.

x2

This situation has to be cleared up otherwise coppers will just use and abuse the situation :blink:

Actually, as an interest point now that you have been through the ins and outs. .I have changed my factory exhaust on my car for a custom built system by a well known fabricating company. The bore is the same as OEM, but it only has one silencer. The original had two so I can assume that makes it automatically illegal. It is also a lot louder than standard.

So im driving through Norfolk, and I get pulled by the Po. Lets assume they give the reason that it sounds too loud to be legal and the want to test it.Im on a normal street.What is the exact procedure they should do to prove that I should be fined/ hung drawn and quartered, according to what we now know then? Uk car .it has a rev counter.

Actually, as an interest point now that you have been through the ins and outs. .I have changed my factory exhaust on my car for a custom built system by a well known fabricating company. The bore is the same as OEM, but it only has one silencer. The original had two so I can assume that makes it automatically illegal. It is also a lot louder than standard.

So im driving through Norfolk, and I get pulled by the Po. Lets assume they give the reason that it sounds too loud to be legal and the want to test it.Im on a normal street.What is the exact procedure they should do to prove that I should be fined/ hung drawn and quartered, according to what we now know then? Uk car .it has a rev counter.

They will take you back to the local station or to a deserted carpark, set up their microphones placed 20cm from the ground and 50cm away from the tail pipe and at 45° to the car. in accordance with ISO5130 and they should then do 3 tests at 3750 RPM and take an average dB reading.

There should be no obstructions within 3m of the vehicle in any direction. They will also do an ambient background test for noise.

Now this is where it becomes a very grey area, ISO5130 does not have a table of pass/fail results, Norfolk police take their figure of 82dB (UK car) or 99dB (Import) from the vehicle construction & use regs, section 55 Now this is where I did my homework and found out that the 82dB comes from a drive by test, not a stationary test therefore if they say your car failed, then take them to court because their measurement procedure is incorrect.

This is where they failed in my case.

If anyone want to read the ISO5130 spec, here is a link to it http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2007/wp29grb/ECE-TRANS-WP29-GRB-45-inf01e.pdf

God I am muppet. I asked the courts today what conditions were laid down in the sentence. I was then told I was mistaken as the result was an Absolute discharge. That makes me feel a lot better.

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

God I am muppet. I asked the courts today what conditions were laid down in the sentence. I was then told I was mistaken as the result was an Absolute discharge. That makes me feel a lot better.

Proper result!!! :thumbs:

Thanks for the info fella . And absolute discharge, as it should be.Mind you that copper will be hanging around outside your house waiting for you to breathe incorrectly so he can nick you lol

Win :D

Nice one :thumbs: Do you get anything from them in writing to that effect?

Only issue now is that, as I took the Police to court and didn't get a NG verdict I have a criminal record. How stupid is that?

so thats where the con is,dont you dare question the law because even if you show they were technically in the wrong,we'll have you anyway.That is disgusting.

I have this on my bike, it don't have a rev counter so guessing engine speed is a black art and I usually change gear when double vision sets in :blink:. When giving it a few revs using light throttle in neutral the noise is reasonable, but when under load it can be (and is) a different thing altogether, depending on what gear you're in. In fact I have often set off car alarms in residential streets. The bike is UK spec and this is a factory fitted system. Mind you, my Son has a full race spec set-up (marked 'for race use only') on his bike and he's a copper.

7c86c70a-5675-48bd-898f-b89d5c679165.jpg

Mind you, my Son has a full race spec set-up (marked 'for race use only') on his bike and he's a copper.

7c86c70a-5675-48bd-898f-b89d5c679165.jpg

Well, if that is the case, he chould be hung, drawn & quatered and the bike taken to the four corners of the kingdom and destroyed on a fire. :lol:

Just goes to prove, one set of laws for one, and another for the general public.

Yeah, we've all done it, well most of us.

My "bad" (doncha just hate current street slang? Or I am just showing signs of age? Rhetorical question guys.....)

anyway every flaming bike I bought in the eighties came with the godawful strangulating alpha aftermarket pipes. Bin! Replace with a Motad was the usual route but on the old tea trolley XS1100 Yam I had they couldn't get delivery sorted for a couple of weeks so I just ripped out the baffle and had an unrestricted 4 into 1 straight through. OMG what a racket and as for the backfire. Hysterical.

Then I grew up. A bit. I am now regressing, again. Oh dear.

:offtopic: The bikes I had in the 80's the exhausts were very restrictive, and so were the intake systems, as you say, first thing was to bin them. I fitted straight through reverse cone megga's Great noise too,and open bell-mouth inlet stacks but that was on a 1977 Triumph Bonneville :)

Bikes of that era and before needed a lot of 'Bang' to clear the exhaust gasses. I would often sit behind my mates 900SS Ducati or his Dad's Vincent when out on a run and get hit by the exhaust pulses at over 10 feet away.

Just talked to the courts about what an Absolute discharge means. Their answer means No further action. No criminal record. No need to tell insurance company as there was no case for the prosecution ti answer.

So the Monkey is free with nothing hanging over his head. :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.