Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

Don't forget to bill them for your time when you win!

I totally agree with this statement, make sure you have a diary of events in your evidence, including time taken off work; for investigation into the legalities of this, also any expenses incurred to you during this time, i.e. petrol cost to you travelling to CAB etc., and also any phone calls made. Maybe mention the time and stress you have had investigating this and the time posting up on this site.

I would also make a detailed diary of how you have spent time rectifying the problem, and how this has been achieved even though it was unnecessary and obviously all costs to you to do this.

Make a note of the mental stress caused to you during this time, and how many hours you have spent researching this.

Make sure that when you win, the court knows how much you have been stressed out by this and how out of pocket you are by the incorrect decision made.

You might not be reimbursed for this but the magistrates may come down harder on the PC conducting the test.

I am sure you will win this and I am 100% behind you

Good luck mate

N

I totally agree with this statement, make sure you have a diary of events in your evidence, including time taken off work; for investigation into the legalities of this, also any expenses incurred to you during this time, i.e. petrol cost to you travelling to CAB etc., and also any phone calls made. Maybe mention the time and stress you have had investigating this and the time posting up on this site.

I would also make a detailed diary of how you have spent time rectifying the problem, and how this has been achieved even though it was unnecessary and obviously all costs to you to do this.

Make a note of the mental stress caused to you during this time, and how many hours you have spent researching this.

Make sure that when you win, the court knows how much you have been stressed out by this and how out of pocket you are by the incorrect decision made.

You might not be reimbursed for this but the magistrates may come down harder on the PC conducting the test.

I am sure you will win this and I am 100% behind you

Good luck mate

N

I wouldn't do this, I mean tell them you have made the exhaust quieter. The reason being after all this they WILL retest your car, the police are petty like that, when they test it at the lower rev limit and it passes, you have an even bigger point of saying "I told you so" it'll shut the smug bastards up.

True, The issue of this is that the Police did the test incorrectly according to ISO5130. That is what I am taking them to court over.

Yep and when you win the first thing they'll do is re administer the test correctly i bet. Now they won't know you have adjusted your exhaust so you can be smug and say i told you it was legal.

However, if you don’t admit to changing the specification of the vehicle, after changing the specification of the vehicle and now asking for a re-test, you are therefore in contempt / perverting the cause of the legal justice and therefore could land yourself in a position far higher or worse than you are with the £30 fine.

DONT DO IT!!! – this is with legal advice.

In other words you are now lying to them and they might know it / figure it out

Just be honest and tell them the truth, If you have made adjustments at your cost, let them know about it and also ask them to test their cars, I doubt they would pass the same tests, I worked next to NPC in Wymondham and all of the cars they own have been ferkeled with a bit, so I seriously doubt any would pass the 82DB level.

Sorry to be an honest citizen but they ARE NOT THE LAW they simply uphold it

And also they are not bad people, bit crap but, lets imagine your house gets broken into!!!!! Who are you going to call....... well it’s not the ghost busters unless you’re stuck in a crap 80’s film

N

I still have not heard a dickie-bird from them, asking them for a cour hearing I have not even had an acknowledgement or receipt of email or letter.

The main arguement is that they did not adhear to the ISO test. Yes I will tell them that I have changed the centre section of my exhaust and that was under the advice from them to get the car quieter or, in thier words "I could lose the car"

When I was stopped I did not know what the ruling was over exhaust noise, The Police put enough scare mongering words in their reply that I got the silencer changed within the week, Also I had an MOT booked 5 days after I got stopped and again was advised by Plod that it would not pass the MOT with the current system on, Something I later found out not to be true. THEN I got some replies back from various sources about the ISO5130 test and discovered that they tested incorrectly and my original exhaust could well have been legal. There is no way of telling now.

When talking to the Police later on in the week on the subject the Goon on the phone even advised me to sell the Celica if I could not get a quiet system for the car.!!! They also insisted that i would not be able to witness the Police Volvo being noise tested as there would not be anything wrong with it as they go through "Stringent" tests every week before they are allowed out on the Public highway :hysterical:

All in all I am just looking forward to getting this sorted out. It may only be a £30 FPN, (now £60 if I lose in court, if it ever gets there that is) but the principal that the Police are testing and issuing fines to vehicles that are more than likely legal is the main point.

As usual, I'll keep you posted on any updates

I had a chat with the guy who wrote the test procedure and training manual for Norfolk Police this afternoon. He stands by his method, I did point out the way I saw things.

The methods are correct, it's the interpretation that is the issue, The ISO spec is as clear as day, yet they can't see it. Just goes to prove that they are idiots

LOL my car’s from the 90’s so fun that 80’s stuff, also back to the future and flux capacitors are also so 80’s, I have been designing a time machine for many years now but I haven’t had the time to finish the project, if anyone fancies swapping it for an anti-gravity device then I am all ears.

Apart from that let’s stop hijacking Monkey Boys thread and help him see proper justice in the 21st century.

N

• 1 month later...

Today I stopped to have a chat with one of my sons old school friends who has a 1.4 Civic, and he told me he had been done for excessive exhaust noise. So I was interested to hear his experiences on the way his test was done by our inept Norfolk Police road traffic officers.

He was following a Police Road Traffic car for about 4 miles before the police stopped in front of him and demanded to test his car.

He was taken to a local village hall car park ( gravel & grass) and asked if his car had an exhaust ? which he said "of course" then he was asked if he had a working speedo & rev counter? "Yes" he replied. He was then asked if his ignition worked ? By this time he sarcastically said yes.

The Police officer then said he was going to conduct a noise check on the exhaust.. Test instruments were set out in accordance to ISO5130 then the officer stood directly behind the car exhaust and asked my sons frient to take the revs upto 5500 RPM and hold it, which he did for two tests. 78 & 79dB which is a pass. Then he was asked to take it to the red line and hold it for 10 seconds. This he then told the officer he was unhappy to do, The Officer then said that his car would be impounded if he refused the test. :o

He reluctantly and with protest did as the officer asked. 86dB. The officer then told him it was above the 82dB limit and slapped him with a £30 Norfolk Police Beer fund voucher.

To make things worse he had a sticker on his car which said "I'd rather push my Honda than drive a Ford" which was for a bit of banter between him and his mate with a Zetec Fiesta. The officer took offensive to this sticker as he said he drove a Ford. My lads friend then queried the fact that the Road Traffic car was a Volvo, but the officer said that he had a Ford at home on his driveway. and he was to remove the sticker or be slapped with another offence of discrimination.

Unfortunately being an 18 year old naive driver, he payed up the fine, but said that he didn't agree with the way the officer dealt with him. The Central ticket office said that they would look into it, but have heard nothing back. Also the ticket the officer gave had a phone number on it which has not been used by Norfolk Police for over 2 years.

This really annoyed me that the bloody Police can do this and blatantly get away with it, and before you all ask, I still have not heard anything back about a court hearing with my little brush with them over exhaust noise.

Absolute scandal :angry: This really should all be reported to the car mag/tv shows/watchdog etc as its such a crock of s*** when they can't even agree on how to conduct the test. And as if we all drive around on the red line!!!! I bet theres not a car on the road that would pass a noise test at full chat :blink:

The saga continues;

Got a letter through the post today from the Magistrates court saying that as original fine had not been paid, they were issuing a collection order and the fine had gone up to £45 . and payment needs to be done by Dec 3rd or else i could have the fine deducted direct from my earnings, increased by 50%, clamp or removal of my vehicle or the court Bailiffs being sent around to seize goods and incurring additional costs. :o

So, after a lot of hunting for phone numbers, I had to resort to Google to find the magistrates number. I phone them up only to get a recorded message, then I get caught in a loop. I then Phone the Police about the letter, they noted everything down and actually listened to my plight and then they put an email through to the Central Ticket office as to why they had not contacted me about the Penalty notice. The WPC on the phone then said that someone from Road Traffic would contact me to talk through what had been going on.

15 mins later I get a call from the Police from an officer who had actually been trained on Vehicle Noise tests. He fist apologised for the lack of response from the CTO as they were moving to a National Ticket office in Southend, but that still was no excuse.

I told him about the error in the Norfolk Police test paperwork and the contradiction in their procedure and the ISO5130 information. He was actually interested in what I had to say, but still insisted that Norfolk Police guide lines ate to test the vehicle at 3/4 power.He advised that if I wanted to air my views in court not to do anything then the cogs would go into motion as soon as the 3rd Dec deadline had passed.

I had told him that I requested a Court hearing back in the beginning of October and that had just been overlooked.

I was told the Court room is the only place that this can be addressed which I said that I would be glad to do . I got the impression that they are aware of a possible error in their procedure.

I'll keep you all informed of the findings

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Firstly............DON't just let the DEC 3rd deadline go by and get to court that way..it will come back to haunt you!

Make sure that you they know that you are going to court to contradict the way they conducted the test......NOT because you are there because you haven't paid a fine. There's a difference.........but it sounds like you handled it the right way with the Officer who spoke to you earlier....I just didn't like it when he told you to just let it go.

I have told the Central Ticket office that I wanted a court hearing (12/10/12) I have told the Norfolk Police HQ that I want a Court hearing and I have told the Police officer who phoned me back that I want a Court hearing and every time I say it is because of the contradiction on the Police test forms and their procedure does not correspond with the ISO specification 5130 on Acoustic- measurement of sound from a stationary road vehicle.Each time I say I have not got an issue with the Officers who conducted the test, just that the procedure is incorrect.

I suppose the next port of call is to contact the magistrates court stating that I wish a hearing on this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.