opinons

ok so my gen 6 has done nearly 180k now,and im seroiusly thinking about a gen 7 gt as a next step,i have two options

1.keep the gen 6 and take the lump out rebuild it all get everything perfect and end up spending about couple grand or more

or

2.sell mine and buy a gen 7 gt

is it worth spending all that money on my gen 6 or should i put the money towards something with less miles and newer?

sorry for those that prob think omg not another one of these looney threads lol but this is what it has come down to now.

I would say definitely get a gen7 GT- I have one and it's class! No point in spending thousands making your gen 6 up when you can get a gen 7 which is an all around better package. It looks great and goes well out of the box so you will be happy for at least a decent amount of time.

Then there are a great number of upgrades available for the gen 7 too-looks and engine mods like air filters and cams up to supercharger if it tickles your fancy!

Plus the gen7 Gt looks miles better!! :P

If the 6 is running fine, why rebuild it?

I did a full 1zz build when my car hit 150,000 but the engine is still sat here waiting to be fitted as mine is showing no signs of giving up - its on 197k now

its running fine,but i think that at 180k its getting on a bit and i need a everyday car,im also thinking of fuel costs,and thinking the gen 7 gt surely would be a bit better on juice?

i think everyone progresses,and i just thought the new gt would be a good step up,i do about 15k miles a year.

its either that or just hope the six runs forever

its running fine,but i think that at 180k its getting on a bit and i need a everyday car,im also thinking of fuel costs,and thinking the gen 7 gt surely would be a bit better on juice?

i think everyone progresses,and i just thought the new gt would be a good step up,i do about 15k miles a year.

its either that or just hope the six runs forever

It's not hope, it's fact!

Look after your gen 6 as i know you do and it will do all that mileage again.

Don't worry about the mileage as you now at the point where your cars worth less as a car than it is as parts.

Just keep it and enjoy the fact that your in a car that drives well, makes you smile, looks the nuts AND!!!!

Will not loose anything through depriciation. Win WIN!!!

Unless you wanna buy a gt4 :sofa:

Edited by GTsillycar

i think its cos i read on here that these engines only do about 240k max before needing major work,cant remember now where it was i see it,may have been izzy

i think its cos i read on here that these engines only do about 240k max before needing major work,cant remember now where it was i see it,may have been izzy

it's all down to service, if it's been properly maintained then no reason why it won't do 500,000 miles or more.

Other plus side to driving a gen 6 gt is if the very worst happens and it goes pop, you can get an engine for peanuts.

it's all down to service, if it's been properly maintained then no reason why it won't do 500,000 miles or more.

Other plus side to driving a gen 6 gt is if the very worst happens and it goes pop, you can get an engine for peanuts.

that is true,i just had planned next year if i was going to keep it,to get the engine taken out and bay re painted then renew any parts that need doing and drop it back in,rather than do these little jobs every month,and thats the thing is it worth doing all that,part of me thinks yes the gen 6 is a tough car,but then another part of me says,yer but you could put that money towards a newer car with less miles,its a tough one. i always service my gen 6 regular oil gets done every 5k

im sure there are other people in the same boat at the moment.

Edited by looney

Always remember that any new car bought as a replacement could turn out to have a host of things wrong with it that end up costing you even more in the long run! If the 6 is still sound, especially on the underside, then stick with it. As an example, mines off to Fensport on Monday for an engine rebuild to stop the oil burning, costing just over the grand. Yes I could have gone out and bought another 6 for that easily, but whos to say that would not have had the same problem!

Keep the 6 and save your cash. Engine goes pop look for a new car or just drop a 2nd hand engine in. I'd go for the second option personally. Get a new lump for around the £200 mark. Just done it in mine. The liquids cost almost as much as the engine :(

I'm crap at math but how much is a new car going to cost when averaged against the difference in fuel spend?

Plus your car looks pretty good for a Gen6 :sofa: how much would it take to get a Gen7 looking as good?.... Squillions :sofa::D :D

But if you really want a new car go for it.

i guess engines are peanuts these days,so that is a good point,and yer i was just thinking of the fuel costs in the long term,as if i did get a gen 7 gt id prob keep that for at least 5 years.

if i kept it tho i would like to go all out on it,and get throttle bodys,decent clutch,flywheel,water pump,oil pump,cambelt,upgrade a few bits and do a real decent job,maybe push for 190/200bhp

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.