Vinyl Wrap

Anyone else having problems with vinyl wrap they have used in their motor recently?

I re-wrapped my centre console last weekend & the heat has got to it & lifted the bloody thing. Not sure if its because it was cheap vinyl, the heat or a mixture of the two but either way its really f'in annoying. Suppose on the plus side it means i get to play wrapping again this weekend :rolleyes:

Edited by harv_j

We wrapped the roof of my car the other week and ended up taking it off.Not very pliable,consistency of crispy packing tape and about as sticky as a Nankang tyre on a damp B-road corner

Anyone else having problems with vinyl wrap they have used in their motor recently?

I re-wrapped my centre console last weekend & the heat has got to it & lifted the bloody thing. Not sure if its because it was cheap vinyl, the heat or a mixture of the two but either way its really f'in annoying. Suppose on the plus side it means i get to play wrapping again this weekend :rolleyes:

User error? :P

User error? :P

I wasnt happy with my first attempt at it from last year & thought for the sake of 10 quid, get some off ebay.

The surface is properly prepped (washed, dried then alcohol wiped), must be the vinyl. Oh well ...

Yeah my car is good too. The outside and the inside have lasted over a year now. Odd small bubble here and there but nothing majorly worrying. Bubble isn't lifting they've been there over a year too haha.

Hexis wrap done by rich and some interior (only a small amount) by myself :)

Edited by oMIKEYo

If its lifting it sounds like the surface wasn't clean enough. None of my vinyl is lifting and I have the whole centre console done, and air vents. What did you clean with before hand and did you get any fingerprints all over the stick side of the vinyl when you were doing it?

If everything was clean it sounds like the wrap you have isn't much cop. I have the same stuff as Mikey (3M Hexis wrap from Rich) and I'd highly recommend it

If its lifting it sounds like the surface wasn't clean enough. None of my vinyl is lifting and I have the whole centre console done, and air vents. What did you clean with before hand and did you get any fingerprints all over the stick side of the vinyl when you were doing it?

If everything was clean it sounds like the wrap you have isn't much cop. I have the same stuff as Mikey (3M Hexis wrap from Rich) and I'd highly recommend it

Its definitely the vinyl. I gave it a good wash in the bath before drying thoroughly then wiping down with alcohol wipes. I didnt get any finger prints on the glue either. Just crap glue on the vinyl i think ...

I still have loads left though so im going to give it another go. If that doesnt work then ill wrap my microwave or something :)

I have never had problems with lifting but the hexis stuff is very pliable and comes with good sticky backness. just make sure its proper heated up when you use it. and it should last

As has been said above, preparation is key, best thing i found was Isopropyl alcohol, or panel wipes

It also took me 3 attempts at wrapping my interior before i managed to do it without it peeling or bubbling when i first started out wrapping, interior parts are the worst though due to the greenhouse effect and the sustained heat on warm days

Also, once you have wrapped the part, give it a good blast of heat to make the vinyl cure/set to the shape you have wrapped it over

My whole car is good :)

why of course. That's because your wrap is le creme dela creme of wraps :D

As a result of the heat wave we've had quite a few enquiries about fixing their wraps from other applicators. 9 out of 10 times it's due to error of application.

As has been said above, preparation is key, best thing i found was Isopropyl alcohol, or panel wipes

It also took me 3 attempts at wrapping my interior before i managed to do it without it peeling or bubbling when i first started out wrapping, interior parts are the worst though due to the greenhouse effect and the sustained heat on warm days

Also, once you have wrapped the part, give it a good blast of heat to make the vinyl cure/set to the shape you have wrapped it over

I am going to be honest, i dont remember doing that when i finished it this last time. Oops :rolleyes:

Like i said, i'm going to try the cheap stuff again & if it doesnt set properly again then i'll have to dig a bit deeper into my pockets. I havnt used hexis before. I know everyone on here raves about them but i'v found KPMF & RiWrap to be pretty good ... and a load cheaper. Wrapped a range rover matt orange in KPMF & it looked great. Was in perfect knick when we removed it about 18 month later.

Lifting is down to a few things:

dirty surface

vinyl wasn't tight enough when applied

heat wasn't applied after it was applied

in that order, 99.9% of the time...it's user error, fact.

it is also due to the quality of wrap adhesive

fact :D

few days of heat and we would start getting trimming business from people who had either attempted themselves, often with the wrong adhesive (and no i know i'm not talking about wrap but a different material) also people would drive in who had had a job done and redone elsewhere

so prep starts with getting the best for the job before you even go near the car

Lifting is down to a few things:

dirty surface

vinyl wasn't tight enough when applied

heat wasn't applied after it was applied

in that order, 99.9% of the time...it's user error, fact.

Is it me or is there an echo in here here here here....?

:P

Oh, I don't read most replies...I just throw my opinion/mega-knowledge out there and squint...hoping for the best :D

it is also due to the quality of wrap adhesive

fact :D

few days of heat and we would start getting trimming business from people who had either attempted themselves, often with the wrong adhesive (and no i know i'm not talking about wrap but a different material) also people would drive in who had had a job done and redone elsewhere

so prep starts with getting the best for the job before you even go near the car

Well yeah, but not everything outside of Hexis and Avery is going to peel after a bit of sunshine/weather abuse. The most important thing in the process is properly and evenly distributing a very precise amount of heat across the whole vinyl wrap while using laser heat guns to make sure you're doing the job right, so so many people don't do this. Also, low energy materials like plastics will hold vinyl for less time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.