Supercharge, New car or Track Car

Hey

Im having a dilemma and thought I would yeah out to the CCUK community since I'm sure many of you have gone through this yourself.

I bought my GT around 4 years ago and have been very happy with it:

2de0f215.jpg

53c29a97.jpg

f2c4f209.jpg

Car looks good and I've spent a lot of money and time on her (not as much as some people but still enough!)

1. So supercharging the car will be around £5000 plus I need new disks for the AP Racing BBK on my car which is around another £500 so its not cheap at all! Im looking to get around 300BHP from the car however is that way too much from a FWD car? I've never sat in a supercharged celiac and I don't want to pay for all that power and not even be able to use it. Ive sat in a focus RS with 270BHP in FWD with a diff and it was just wheel spinning all over the place

2. i can sell my car (very reluctantly) for around £6.5k and put £5 and get another car with 4WD and good power however not sure if I can even get that tbh- £11k isn't much these days for a powerful 4wd car

3. I spent up to £5 on a fun track car with the power I want OR i spend the £5 getting into motorsport since thats the buzz and excitement I'm after- i don't know how to do this at all tho so would need some help. i.e do i need to buy another car before i can take part in any racing activities?

Now the main issue i have is that the celica is pretty old now and doesn't have many gadgets- its pretty bare and in the future I would probably end up getting a car with a turbo so its fuel efficient and has the power. For example my friend just bought a TTS 4WD Paddle shift and it got me thinking if i should be ploughing money into an 11 year old design car- i would love 300+BHP and paddle shift and 4wd so I'm very happy for him but made me think if i should just wait and sell for another newer car. If i Supercharge the celica i should at least keep it for another 3 years but then I will HAVE to sell it when i get another sporty car since i can't justify having 2x 300bhp cars.

If i leave the celica as it is (1.8 NA) i can potentially give that to the wife and in a few years time get a nice faster car so we have one 300+bhp and one 190bhp. The problem with that is that I won't have the money for another faster car for at least 4-5 years and by that time will i get really bored of the celica?

And the biggest thing is that I don't think i wil be able to find a car that looks as good as the celica with all that power. Now i spent around £15k on my car with this extra £5k and £1.5k the brakes have cost me I've spent a good £22k on the car once I'm done and i don't think i will see more than £8k when i come to sell it in a few years.

So can anyone help with what your thoughts are or were when you supercharged your car or thought about supercharging it. I know some people went for a 350Z instead or an S2000 and is that a better move?

thanks guys!

can't offer too much advise other than if you plan on spending lots of money on mods for a car, don't start worrying about the resale value.

You'll get nowhere near what you've put into it, so just enjoy the car for the awesome monster that you've created, and just accept that you'll probably be better off keeping it until it blows up. :lol:

If I owned your car I dont think I could part with it, she is simply stunning. Spend the money and give it the power it deserves, performance and style, doesnt get much better.

Resale value of these cars when supercharged probably stays the same as stock but the market is much smaller. Don't even think about doing it if the cash is an issue. Personally I'd suggest you put 11000-11500 in the search bar of Pistonheads and see what takes your fancy. There's a lot of performance out there for that kind of dosh.

FWIW the S/C Celica never feels over-powered. It's not completely mental and traction is pretty impressive considering, that's coming from someone who has had plenty of experience with a fair bit more than 300+ bhp at the front wheels of his Celica.

as said mods dont add value and in a lot of cases can detract from it.

Look at my build it stands me at a stupid amount of money but if i sold i might get £7 - £8K tops and i doubt i would tbh

For a lot of people modding themselves is the attraction so buy a blank canvass.

If you decide to sell id serioiusly consider reverting back to standard and selling all mods - a stock GT would attract more potential buyers than a modded one IMO

When it comes to track cars I don't think there's much out there that can beat caterhams/westfields & the like. Open cockpit, easy to work on the motor, superlight so no need for huge over complicated engines & plenty of engine/tuning options out there.

Regarding the Celi, no brainer for me. Special car + Rotrex = a car for life! Yes 4wd turbo'd drone cars will beat me all day long but who cares when you're driving something so exclusive. Everybody, young or old loves it, it upsets no one & takes attention away from motors worth 10 times as much. My car will NEVER be up for sale so whatever I spend on it doesn't really matter :) I'm in it for the long haul now, she gets way more committment from me than my missus does :D

Bear in mind that with prices coming down so much younger drivers are starting to get their hands on them, which will inevitably result in a lot of gen 7s being totally abused & visually ruined. This baby will be a classic someday, so hold onto it matey!

Ive been thinkin the same as you matey,

Im after more power but I just love Celicas too much to sell it and Ive spent far too much modifing my GT to the point it is now. I would never get any of the money back.

As JO3 said Im in this for the long run now, Ill get rid of my Celica when I cant afford to run her or she dies. Im even hoping in the future that my Celi will be a weekend warrior tucked away until the sun shines.

Depends on what you wanna do. SC Celicas are scooby killers and puts over motorists in shock over how quick they are but you will never make the money back. Where as you can get something quick from standard and people will expect it to be quick.

It does look really nice, if you like it that much then keep it. If money was no issue I would keep my car forever and build it from the bottom up. On the other hand you can get a fair choice of car for 11k if you want 4WD and power you could buy a 500bhp evo VII with that.

sell up and move up, if you have the money spare and you want to trade up and enjoy the next car level, for £10k you can get a good amount of car, a nice sleeper with tons of hp, Audi rs4 can be yours and they have tons of grunt.

or go classic and get a 911.

plenty of choice or stick with yours and get a bike for further fun.

yours is a ncie car matey but i would say if you can see yourself getting bored i would move onto something new

also fwd cars cannot handle mental power, its more for blagging rights to say your fwd car hs 300bhp - it will torque steer everywhere and you will get no mpg from it (will be mega fun and a laugh though) if you want handling i would go for something 4wd and turbo charged

if your just looking for a track blast there are plenty of cheap subaru's around our neck of the woods that you could fling on a track

sc - when ive spoken to Se7en about fwd and 350bhp - he has said that its very usable and his mrs uses the 350bhp grey one every day, drop him a message and see if he can take you out for a spin

hmm all very interesting points. I just have this baaaad feeling that i won't get anything that looks as good as a celica- i would like a coupe or a 2 seater car. I've seen some 350Z's but even then, stock i think they don't look anywhere as near as good as my GT so i would need to get a full body kit for it to make it look just as good.

tough decision!

hmm all very interesting points. I just have this baaaad feeling that i won't get anything that looks as good as a celica- i would like a coupe or a 2 seater car. I've seen some 350Z's but even then, stock i think they don't look anywhere as near as good as my GT so i would need to get a full body kit for it to make it look just as good.

tough decision!

I did say when i was in your car that its a really nice example and 2 points to note here

1. I dont like the gen 7 think it looks like a stretched ford ka
  2. i dont like red cars

I agree though that the other modern coupes dont compare as they look even worse imo 350z is a horrible heavy looking car

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.