Window tints DIY

Gstraw

Hey

For about 2 tears now I've had my driver side tint coming off the bottom corner when I put the window down so really need to change it now

Quotes from tintin places are a joke to be quite frank so thought id DIY.

Should I replace both the Fronts so they match or just replace my side? Also any place do cut ones for front only? I've seen some online but it's either whole car or one specific window

Thanks

I would say do them both so they match . Cut to a rough size of the window leve a 1/2 overlap all round inclueding the bottom . Take the rubber at the bottom out so you can push the tint down inside so it wont catch when the window goes up and down . Spray the glass lightly with a bit of water so you can move the tint into position then use a credit type card . Start at the center working out to squeez the water out . With the door open trim to size . Then finaly use a soft cloth to wipe all over working from the center out again :D Hope this helps

There are some on ebay that are cut to size . Ant seen any for a celica though .

Normaly their not cut to go down inside so would still have chance of peeling when the windows are in operation :)

best thing to do on the gen 7 is take the door card out before you do it as it will give you loads of room on the bottom and the door card is really easy to take out. and do it on a sunny day as it will dry quicker.

cool stuff.

so I shouldnt get the pre-cut ones then since I dont want it peeling off again. Can anyone recommend any good tint websites? ive heard the ebay ones are a bit pants and can rip when applying?

what have you guys used?

Personally i would get it done professionally

I have been shown how to tint windows by a professional tinter, i have since tried a few times to tint wind up windows with very little success and i know most of the tricks of how to tint the windows

You will probably end up spending as much money on tint as it would to get it done properly

i got all 5 windows on ine done for about 130 quid so i would have thought around the 80 quid mark?

EDIT: I tried to tint the windows on my old car, its really f'ing hard to do it & get a good finish! I would pay someone to do it to be honest.

Edited by harv_j

any local hifi shops round your way? most will do it for about £80 for both sides, if your going to do it yourself you should go to hellfruads they do a roll for £30 which will do both windows, best way to do it is to cut it bigger first then spray the window with water and fairy liquid mixed in so it stays wet for long enough to trim it properly, need a sponge and a felt pusher to get it flat very sharp stanley blade and time, for the top part of the glass get a fine nail file, once its dried just light file over the edge.

door card off so you can get tint below sight lines clean the window and de grease it as well so it bonds better, including the glass you cant see behind the panel.

I tinted my windows ten years ago with excellent results with a DIY kit from ebay. The key is to wet the window with soapy water first and then get a sharp blade and scrape your windows as there are loads of little bits stuck to them that you can't see. as soon as you start sliding the blade down, you'll feel it hitting the little bits which would ruin your tints. Once you've done that, squirt more soapy water over them and apply your tint. Slide it around to your desired position and then start to squeeze out the air bubbles with a credit card and don't forget to tuck it down behind the door card. As mentioned above, it's better to remove it to make sure of a good job. Once it's all in position, cut it to shape. Job done!

I'm gonna sway towards agreeing with the ones saying get it done professionally.

I've seen the results of someone not sure on how to do it deciding to try and it was awful, looked more like cracked frosted glass than tinted.

It may be cheaper to try it yourself but one mistake and you have to do the whole lot again (as he found out).

As a rough guide the place i use is £90 for a gen 6 getting rear 3 windows done

i have to say it could end up costing you more to do it yourself but im that sort of person wanna give everything a try myself and yes sometime it cost alot more but the feeling when you manage to get it perfect yourself is soooo good lol. but that just me lol

I got the rear quarters and hatch done for £90. I spent around £40 on tint, tools (squeegee, special lube spray etc) but I just couldn't do it to save my life. From now on I'm only ever gonna pay a pro to do it - this is what I recommend you to do too. It doesn't take them long either :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had 5 windows done professionally and they did a fantastic job, cost £180 and there is a lot of glass on a gen 4 lol, they told me its about £60 for fronts if I want to change the tint , for a lifetime guarantee with the place nr me in beckenham so

If it peels or fades its covered with the guarantee :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.