Spun my car off the A19

John.drum

Spun my car off the A19 today. Probably the scariest thing that has happened to me. I heard something hit my wheel arch when i was doing about 75ish on the outside lane. My car felt strange and started to make a noise which sounded like a puncture so i went turn into the inside lane and my car totally spun out. I ended up in the central reservation with the smell of burning rubber.

When the police and recovery came they said it was a miracle where i had stopped and that i had not hit another car or anything. If i was 100 meters further down the road i would have hit the barriers and probably wrote off my car/been seriously injured.

Amazingly me and the passenger were unhurt and the only damage was a shredded tyre and a scratch on my wheel arch. The recovery swapped the wheel with my spare and the car drove away fine. Someone up there likes me!

post-31931-0-48263800-1326576591_thumb.jpg

Wow, glad you're ok buddy!

I span my MR2 twice...first time was simply an act of god that me and my mate didn't die. Came off a round about with a bit too much throttle and went into a spin, couldn't catch it....missed a central reservation by about an inch, went past a lamp post so closely I heard it go by...then went up a dipped bit of kerb and skidding along some grass for a couple hundred yards then parked about half an inch away from a fence. Got out expecting to see carnage but all I had was mud and muck all up one side of the car. Unbelievable!

Narrow escape there, Mr Drum. Glad to hear you're ok, bud.

Wow, glad you're ok buddy!

I span my MR2 twice...first time was simply an act of god that me and my mate didn't die. Came off a round about with a bit too much throttle and went into a spin, couldn't catch it....missed a central reservation by about an inch, went past a lamp post so closely I heard it go by...then went up a dipped bit of kerb and skidding along some grass for a couple hundred yards then parked about half an inch away from a fence. Got out expecting to see carnage but all I had was mud and muck all up one side of the car. Unbelievable!

You must've been going some speed...!! :o

All the tyres have plenty of tread on them. I definetely hit something becasue i heard it hit my wheel arch. Think i might still get it on the ramps and check that there is no damage under the car and that the suspension etc is ok.

This is something ive always been a bit weary about happening. Glad your fine mate, what actually happens when your front tyre goes? I know back isnt too bad but god if your car goes psycho when the front goes, how are these machines legal?! :lol:

Imagine if it happened to my motorbike :unsure: always had the rear deflate on me, good job that didnt go pop

Edited by oMIKEYo

This is something ive always been a bit weary about happening. Glad your fine mate, what actually happens when your front tyre goes? I know back isnt too bad but god if your car goes psycho when the front goes, how are these machines legal?!

It was my back nearside tyre that blew. Dunno what would happen if the front blew, i can imagine it being bad though!

Did you do the Lottery tonight?

Haha, the police said i should put the lottery on. I was going to but never got round to it.

Edited by John.drum

Glad you are ok mate.

I had my drivers side rear tyre blow out at about 120mph on the 'Autobahn' whilst trying to catch a 4.2 Quattro Audi A6 and I hardly noticed, I had 3 passengers and it just felt like a very slight vibration had appeared so I slowed down and pulled onto the hard shoulder and the tyre was flat, when I removed it i could see a large hole on the inside edge. God knows how I didnt go into a spin at that speed just as you did albeit at a much lower speed.

Edited by tabbaranx

Very nasty experience for you and pleased to see you came both came through it ok.

Yuo need to get things checked out. BTW what kind of tyre was it? My son had the same on the M1 recently in his 206GTI with a cheap tyre which was underinflated by 30% and just looked like yours. Travelling fast it seriously overheated the sidewalls and blew completely.

Wow lucky mate glad to see your both ok and your car it's a scary feeling whit that sort of thing .

I had a smash a long time a go . Was on me way to work had to come down this long hill every day with nice drops down the 1 side . One morning in the winter it was a dam good frost came round the bend hit a big patch of black ice lost control of the car she spun end to end a few times the off the rd down a 40 foot rocky drop .

The car was still on it's wheels for half the drop then hit a big rock that was sticking out and started to roll the rest of the way to the bottom ended up on the roof i climbed out with just a scratch on my left shin . it was bloody scary to say the least and when they say you see your life flash before you it's true you bloody well do .

Took me two weeks to get in a car after that wouldn't even be a pasenger :o

You must've been going some speed...!! :o

It was literally pissing it down, came off the roundabout at probably 40 or 50mph? Was on a bit dual carriageway between west lancashire and liverpool (was on the way back from a night out). Was a very surreal feeling, the front went super light and I could feel a dragging sensation as the back went out...there's no catching MR2's! A taxi driver was coming round on the opposite side of the central barrier and saw us spinning so came back to see if we were ok...not a scratch on the car...mental. The adrenaline rush was utterly mental...couldn't stop laughing for ages afterwards!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.