1. 1. What do you use

• Handbrake
    • Gears
    • Both

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any celica i have owned or driven (even mine after a handbrake overhaul) all get left hadn brake on and in appropraite gear

gears alone dont holda gen 6 tried it loads of times even point nose up a hill and in say 1st or 3rd every gen 6 i have had will still roll

always leave mine in gear and handbrake on

My drive is on a slope so just feels safer

My shogun as hanbrake ,in gear & in 4 wheel drive

Which ever 1 is not used a lot as in the shogun in the summer time or the celica in the winter time is just left in gear with all 4 wheels choked no handbrake

Having owned minis and other old cars that have dreadful handbrakes, I always use handbrake and leave in gear. One of those habbits you just seem to keep.

I even do it when I drive other peoples cars, really annoys them haha!

Depends on which car, where it is, and who's likely to be driving it next.

The Cav gets parked outside facing downhill - being GM, I don't trust the handbrake so always park it in reverse. Celica never gets parked in gear unless its on a steep slope (its got remote start and my dad would probably end up activating it then moan at me when a Celica crashes through his front room :lol:)

Both cars have their wheels turned in when parking roadside. Whilst I don't give a funk about the cav, I'm always worried someone will bump into the Celica and mash the transmission if its in gear!

I do always start a car with the clutch down though, something which I thought everyone did til I found out a couple of my mates (and my mrs!) don't do. So if anyone other than me is likely to be driving whatever car I'm in after me, I leave it in neutral.

I always do both, and The Boss does too now after her Rover took off slowly down the hill in the middle of the night the day she got it - we found it 4 houses down in the morning after looking out the window to find it not there (which was a bit of a shock). :lol:

So the MG gets h/b, in gear and wheels turned in now cos it parks in the street (I put my own car round the back of the house).

Usually just the handbrake on unless on a hill then both. However at home i park facing down a hill with only the handbrake on as usually its about 5cm from my dads car in front of it so they both fit outside the house and i dont trust anyone to start it other than me if its in gear (a dont start it with the clutch down but always check the gearstick first).

Depends on which car, where it is, and who's likely to be driving it next.

The Cav gets parked outside facing downhill - being GM, I don't trust the handbrake so always park it in reverse. Celica never gets parked in gear unless its on a steep slope (its got remote start and my dad would probably end up activating it then moan at me when a Celica crashes through his front room :lol:)

Both cars have their wheels turned in when parking roadside. Whilst I don't give a funk about the cav, I'm always worried someone will bump into the Celica and mash the transmission if its in gear!

I do always start a car with the clutch down though, something which I thought everyone did til I found out a couple of my mates (and my mrs!) don't do. So if anyone other than me is likely to be driving whatever car I'm in after me, I leave it in neutral.

Me to m8 always put put the clutch down b4 i start it up always done that just an habbit i think

I've never had a hand brake fail on me or known it to happen to any family/friends (this decade). As a kid when getting in my old mans car I started it a couple of times and he'd put it in first on a downhill drive. I was like, wtf and hated leaving/finding cars in gear thereon - seemed old school. For me it's drilled in from experience to be more risky for you/someone to start it in gear being out of the habit of checking, than have a hand brake fail or something. :D

Edited by KrisSilver

always just use the hand brake unless on a very steep hill. always check the brakes at least once a year including the hand brake so i no they are there and will be working. always start the car with the clutch down, this is just good practice. takes about 20% of the drain off the starter motor when starting. tend to find with this even in the coldest of weather its only about half a turn and she is up and running. less drain on the battery and starter motor.

main thing to remember is to get your brakes check regularly if you cant do it yourself. :)

Always both, it was how I was taught by my driving instructor and it made sense to me. Handbrakes can let go/slip so at least you can be 100% certain it's not going anywhere if it's in gear as well.

If it was unnecessary then why do auto's have 'park' that mechanically locks the transmission and a handbrake as well....

If it was unnecessary then why do auto's have 'park' that mechanically locks the transmission and a handbrake as well....

good point every auto i have had i know the transmission is going no-where but i still pull on the handbrake :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.