15 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Celica
    • BMW
    • Another?

Sold the little alfa last night and it's a toss up between the

Celica vvti 2000

BMW 318 2001

Both look clean and tidy with more or less full history but worried about the old vvti lump popping doing so many miles..... if it's lasted a 100k though?

The appeal of a BMW is definitely there, I would love one instead of the Celica (don't shoot me) but I would not have a 318! It's just wrong. 150hp is 'enough' for a car of that size but I think a BMW should be a 6 cylinder affair, or a diesel...

140 Celica makes sense but won't be as practical as a BMW, have you considered a Corolla? Same kind of thing but cheaper (not that it will turn any heads!)

I'm running on a low budget, I moved out of the family home and life has gone to shite pretty much, just need a good runner for a few months.

Sleeping on a sofa, blah blah blah.... will sort it soon.

The appeal of a BMW is definitely there, I would love one instead of the Celica (don't shoot me) but I would not have a 318! It's just wrong. 150hp is 'enough' for a car of that size but I think a BMW should be a 6 cylinder affair, or a diesel...

140 Celica makes sense but won't be as practical as a BMW, have you considered a Corolla? Same kind of thing but cheaper (not that it will turn any heads!)

I just need something to drive, and drive and drive, I need to save for a deposit on a new place and a cheap little runner is needed, Come April next year I can treat my self to something nice.

Gen 6 Celica ST202 then.

I know, almost did just that.

Thought I might try a gen to see if it lasts more than 3 weeks this time.

Voted 318, as much as i dont like the look of them they are a really nice place to be inside and really smooth to drive (dont expect a lot of power though last 318 i drove only had i think 128bhp

not much more than a gen 6 ST

Thing is if you need a decent runner is that parts on the BMW won't be as cheap as other cars if you should need them. Something common and cheap like an Astra (not as soul-destroying to drive as you might think!) would tick more boxes? If the shit hit my fan tomorrow then I would think nothing of selling up for an old Peugeot 306, but only because I know them inside-out! The 1.8 16v is frugal and parts are cheap.

Thing is if you need a decent runner is that parts on the BMW won't be as cheap as other cars if you should need them. Something common and cheap like an Astra (not as soul-destroying to drive as you might think!) would tick more boxes? If the shit hit my fan tomorrow then I would think nothing of selling up for an old Peugeot 306, but only because I know them inside-out! The 1.8 16v is frugal and parts are cheap.

I know I should look at something down market but I will never learn :(

2 Problems.. you're asking whether you should buy a BMW on a Celica forum (always going to be biased) lol :D

and if you're looking for a CHEAP runaround get a 1.2 corsa or something that gets you from A-B but doesnt cost anything to run, insure, tax etc..?

As you said its just for now, it will give you more money leftover to save, get your place, then get a tip top car when youve got the money. I've now learned the problems of trying to buy a nice car on a lower budget. It can be done but you're left wondering if I waited just a little longer I could have got this, or got this etc.

Gen6 ST or GT.

If it needs a bit or advice you know the best place to find it ;)

x2

you need the good ol bulletproofness of the gen 6.

My first ST i wanted to replace after a couple of years with a newer smarter Celica but i thought i'd drive that into the ground first and get rid when it failed an mot. Five years after that with no looking after whatsoever, bit of oil chucked in it occasionally when the light came on. She ran and ran. Finally then the exhaust went and i got rid for spares, cant beat their reliability

Plus £500/£600 gets you a lot of car, you wont get a little runaround half as good for the same money

Edited by arizona

Sold the little alfa last night and it's a toss up between the

Celica vvti 2000

BMW 318 2001

Both look clean and tidy with more or less full history but worried about the old vvti lump popping doing so many miles..... if it's lasted a 100k though?

celica every time. ive had 3 325i,2 328i and a couple of 320s kept thinking there must be a reason everyone wants one. good fun being rwd but thats about it. i always had audi and bmw just to play with then bought a gen 5. ive had 3 gen5s still got one thats done 185k and runs like new got a gen6 ss-11 now and wouldnt even consider having another bmw. gen6 is the way to go mate. but remember the gen7 comes with a man bag and a set of crimpers and combs as standard. :lol:

When it comes to a cheap, great value, solid, reliable and still good fun to drive and good looking.

It gotta be Gen6 GT, you can get such a lot of car for £600 quid.

Try that with a beemer 318 and chances are your window will pack up door card will fall off then your headgasket will blow!

What was that someone said about biased opinion on here, Don't know what your talkin about :D

2 Problems.. you're asking whether you should buy a BMW on a Celica forum (always going to be biased) lol :D

and if you're looking for a CHEAP runaround get a 1.2 corsa or something that gets you from A-B but doesnt cost anything to run, insure, tax etc..?

As you said its just for now, it will give you more money leftover to save, get your place, then get a tip top car when youve got the money. I've now learned the problems of trying to buy a nice car on a lower budget. It can be done but you're left wondering if I waited just a little longer I could have got this, or got this etc.

You say that, but I think this is a very open minded forum, and can get some cracking advise from people on here from all walks of life.

a 1.2 corsa would break with the abuse I chuck at a car..

Any how, pick up a vectra 2.0 cdti this afternoon with 98k on, it will do for now. :(

Gen6 ST or GT.

If it needs a bit or advice you know the best place to find it ;)

I know that but the GT just drinks the juice of life..... and an ST would leave me hurting for a GT

When it comes to a cheap, great value, solid, reliable and still good fun to drive and good looking.

It gotta be Gen6 GT, you can get such a lot of car for £600 quid.

Try that with a beemer 318 and chances are your window will pack up door card will fall off then your headgasket will blow!

What was that someone said about biased opinion on here, Don't know what your talkin about :D

I'll be back in a Celica in the new year, Number 7 will more than likley be a T Sport though... Chuck the yearly bonus at it ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.