another tyre choice topic...

Leic_1

hi everyone,

I have a question about which tyres to put on my Gen 7 T Sport. I know there have been a quite a few simialr topics and tyres are an emotive subject... however I'm torn between 2 choices: Uniroyal RainSport 2 or Nankang NS2.

The NS2 gets loads of good ratings and is dead cheap, whilst the RainSports are great for the rain. Seeing as i live in lancashire, thats important! I have the tyres on from the previous owner, which are Wanli S1063s. Terrible and dangerous typre in the wet! pretty good in the dry, so I've kept them on but as winter approaches I want rid.

which leads me to my problem, do I fit the cheaper chinese tyre (The wanli gets good reviews on tyrereview.com) and risk similar prblems or go with the more recognised brand? bearing in mind the NS2s and half the price!

has anyone used these tyres or got any thoughts?

cheers!

There is no option really. You get what you pay for. Do not fit anything from China, period. It's your tyres that keep you any others alive. All chinese rubber should be painted in dayglow red so other road uses can see them and keep well clear.

You're right, there are plenty of topics about this.

:unsure:

The problem with reviews on tyre websites is that you tend not to know what car they're fitted to, and what kind of driving the owner does.

Cheap tyres are good for people on a budget who do simple back and forth driving.

At the end of the day, go for the best you can afford, but know that generally, a well known brand and a more expensive tyre will perform better than a budget brand.

I've got Rainsport 2 and they stick to the road like glue.

I had Nankangs on my starlet about 6 years ago, paid £50 a corner and they took some serious hammer, handled well and worked well in the wet

But they then got a bit of a reputation as being nankang ditchfinders!

I did my dissertation on tyre grip and did a fair bit of research into tyres in general.

I absolutely hate to see cheap rubber on a decent car, whats the point in having a car like the celica and then being let down by what connects you to the road.

I have no experience with any tyres you mentioned other than the Rain sports 2's, i was very happy with them in the dry and extremely happy in the wet. Great choice of tyre.

If you can afford to put them on over the cheaper rubber do it and dont look back you wont be dissapointed.

hi everyone,

I have a question about which tyres to put on my Gen 7 T Sport. I know there have been a quite a few simialr topics and tyres are an emotive subject... however I'm torn between 2 choices: Uniroyal RainSport 2 or Nankang NS2.

has anyone used these tyres or got any thoughts?

Have you considered the Toyo T1R or Falken Ziex ZE912?, they're grippy without breaking the bank.

All chinese rubber should be painted in dayglow red so other road uses can see them and keep well clear.

What a brilliant idea! :D

i had NS-2's on my 140 and had no problems with them at all. :thumbs:

It's an emergency stop on a wet motorway when you wish you'd spent a bit more.

At the end of the day, go for the best you can afford

:werd:

I had Nankangs on my starlet about 6 years ago, but they then got a bit of a reputation as being nankang ditchfinders!

Wasn't that the NS1?

I'm currently rocking Falken 912's, I've thrown it round corners on roundabouts in the rain to see when it slips and they just keep gripping and gripping, I'm a big fan and will be buying more/whatever comes next in this line. Recommended :)

Currently what i am rocking too.

205/45/17 - £67.50 a tyre

I've been looking around as well recently & found the rainsports had mixed reviews. The ones I'll be going with are the kumho ku39's, they get good reviews dry & wet.

Cheapest I can find is here, bit cheaper than camskill as well. 215 45's & 205 45's are priced the same....

http://www.tyredrive.co.uk/

Got the KU39s on for a few weeks. First time today I had a go in them properly in the rain, was very impressed :D They're a bit rolly polly in the corners though, but for road use they're good. Really cheap too.

The trouble with customer reviews and personal recommendations is you don't know the experience/driving style of the reviewer or what they're comparing to. Look for professional reviews, mags like AutoExpress do tyre tests.

£50 tyres never come out well against £100 tyres, you do get what you pay for. Some cheap tyres do grip well, but then don't last long resulting in poor value.

I've tried a cheaper brand once, never again, I lasted 2 weeks with them from new and got rid of them. Avon ZZ3's are my tyre of choice and I won't shift from them. Being using them for 9 years and they grip in in the wet and dry.

I was using them on my last car which was quite powerful and I enjoyed losing the boy racers round corners as they had to brake to slow down and I carried on going which shows how grippy they are.

I recommend them, I know they aren't on your list of two tyre types but they are worth considering.B)

Edited by Shinogi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.