Advise from people who have been made redundant... money...

Owed: i have a 3800 un secured loan i have 2400 on a credit card and a 300 overdraft

Moneys: i have 810 quid from my months wage i have 900 redundancy pay i have my car for roughly 2000 grand and im owed 1200

owed = 6500

moneys = 4910

what do i do i i clear the credit card and the overdraft or the loan or maybe a bit of each im unsure...

Best advice is to clear the highest intrest debt first.

not what is taking the most every month? cause i think it might be a while befor i get anything ive been applying left right and centre getting nothing back (ohh i hate it when they dont even have the time to tell you you have been unsuccessful) and the construction industry is in a large black hole atm

Your very best bet is to make an appointment with your local CAB and take their advice, rather than listen to those of us who requent this forum. And do it immediately, before you pay anything off, other than minimum payments to keep your creditworthiness.

Remember that unsecured loans can be made into secured loans if you have any property, even if you don't want that to happen. A County Court can order that if one of your unsecured creditors asks for it.

But, seriously, get in touch with the CAB immediately.

ok no idea what CAB is i dont have property i live with my mum and dad but ive lost my job so has my dad and my wee brother so no-one is really in a position to help anyone the construction industry is a fucking joke!

The CAB is a "Citizens Advice Bureau" - they offer professional assistance for stuff like this :)

Try googling for your local CAB and get an appointment to see someone as soon as possible.

basicly what people are advising is ..

you are in no position to pay off any loans or credit cards!

the Citizens Advice will help you by telling your creditors that at this moment in time

you cannot pay ANY intrest or payments due to the fact you no longer have an income !!

get in touch with the c.a.b immediately to arrange an appointment!! :)

cab is the way forward , personally would clear the overdraft as if the bank get an arse on and shut you account then could cause issues later on in life when you start work again

only bit of advise i can give is DONT let your creditors dictate what you have to pay them , offering stupid small amounts is better than none , but they will take the piss, they are just interested in your money not you being able to live

just an afterthought ,is the loan and the credit card with the same bank as your account , as they CAN snatch money out of your account to pay these off if the funds are there (had it myself a week before xmas a few years ago) , stick yer money some where safe , like under a mattress ;) or another bank for a while

ok you look at the highest interest , decide which is the worst of the lot and pay this off instantly , aim backwards to clear all the highest interests first , an overdraft may have a 30% interest rate on it as do some credit cards

this will then most likely leave you with 2700 outstanding as being owed is a bastard to get money back

now take out a credit card with virgin and transfer the money owed across to this card , they will charge 3% for this , now pay off every penny you can afford every month to clear the debt , you would previously be paying 2.5% in interest every month so as a minimum pay this on top of the minimum from the statement , this will most likely be about £115 so aim to pay 140 a month , this method will save you approx £120 a month in interest alone ..................

you will have 19 months on the credit card interest free , it will take 20 months to clear the debt , you really have to get a frame of mind that these bastards are evil and forcing you to live beyond your means , you need to scrimp and get realistic with money realizing you on a path to shit and unhappiness based on poor money management , if you can get your head around the idea of keeping your phone for 2 years not 6 months , cooking your own food and not spunking it on a take out , inviting friends round to sup a crate for 15 quid from asda and not doing £150 on a night on the piss , selling some of the shit you have around that was brought on a whim and isnt really wanted or needed but it seemed a good idea at the time etc etc , if you get your head around this you will not owe feck all and will given a short time be a home owner on a path to a bloody good financial future

debt is the norm these days , its a reflection of the american consumerism that we have been forced upto , debt should be seen as a massive weight around the sholders and not something everyone has

http://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/credit-cards-v3/

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

the final link is a site that if you go with the spirit of things will help you out no end

CAB are staffed as pro bono work from the professionals such as solicitors and accountants , it is part of the licensing agreement that they do free work ( pro bono ) , becuase of this and the small fact its run by volunteers means you may not get to speak to someone for a fair amount of time , they helpfull when all else fails but tend not to go in depth due to time considerations

if you need any further advise then ask away , pleasure to help

cab is the way forward , personally would clear the overdraft as if the bank get an arse on and shut you account then could cause issues later on in life when you start work again

only bit of advise i can give is DONT let your creditors dictate what you have to pay them , offering stupid small amounts is better than none , but they will take the piss, they are just interested in your money not you being able to live

just an afterthought ,is the loan and the credit card with the same bank as your account , as they CAN snatch money out of your account to pay these off if the funds are there (had it myself a week before xmas a few years ago) , stick yer money some where safe , like under a mattress ;) or another bank for a while

they are both with teh Bank of scotland so i will start doing that

Your very best bet is to make an appointment with your local CAB and take their advice, rather than listen to those of us who requent this forum. And do it immediately, before you pay anything off, other than minimum payments to keep your creditworthiness.

Remember that unsecured loans can be made into secured loans if you have any property, even if you don't want that to happen. A County Court can order that if one of your unsecured creditors asks for it.

But, seriously, get in touch with the CAB immediately.

well said ..totally agree with this .good advice is paramount in these situations

ps hope you get a job soon

1. dont pay anything off

2. do you have any payment protection insurance on your loan or credit card

3. if you do.... go to the martin lewis website and look at claiming back the ppi

4. advise your bank and loan company of your situation... they will help you

5. good look on the job front

Appointment with Citizens Advice is good plan but they will likely be busy so you'll be lucky if dont have to wait for a couple of weeks.

In the meantime just pay any minimum payments due on card but no need to tell bank or card issuer yet. The reason for this is as soon as they know they will do all they can to recover as much as poss. Your card limit will be slashed your overdraft frozen and they will grab any money that goes in to use against it, this is where its not good to have your bank also being associated with the credit card.

Open a cashcard account which is one of the easiest accounts to open, Barclays are excellent. This keeps you in control of your money.

The post above recommends you go to your bank or loan company as they will help you, believe me they will help themselves not you.

This information was given to me several years back by CAB and the opening of the bank account was essential

They will then help you with what to work out with your creditors or what to pay first.

Good luck with the jobhunting

TBH I agree with gen6gt on one hand...but if it was me, I'd quite simply clear the debt as soon as I had the chance. This whole thing could be a blessing in disguise mate. Jobs come and go...debt doesn't...it just stays till you bite the bullet and sort it.

oh and if you want a steady job on a site. my mates a construction engineer and is hiring. means you moving to London though. teehee.

1. dont pay anything off

2. do you have any payment protection insurance on your loan or credit card

3. if you do.... go to the martin lewis website and look at claiming back the ppi

4. advise your bank and loan company of your situation... they will help you

5. good look on the job front

so how will the off chance of a few hundred quid being returned and a lovely pile of ccj`s help ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.