Best way to demist the windows from the inside?

Ok so I got in the car today after work with a friend and with us being soaking and loads of coats on, as soon as we shut the car doors the windows instantly steamed up so I stuck the air-con on full blast ice cold.

Then bit of a debate between me & my passenger which carried on in the hosue and dragged my mams partner into it.

• I said the best way was blast the air con ice cold
  • My friend said no air-cin... full heat, which we tried but then were sweating!
  • My mams partner said open windows and/or tilt the sunroof just to let moisture out

What would you say works best ?

I was under the impression that if you run aircon with the windows open it knackers it????

I would always say heat+air con as this is what my car does when i press the windscreen clear button!

Air con on full! The process naturally draws the moisture out of the air. Put the heat on as well if possible rather than freeze to death.

It shouldnt do much damage to the system if its on with the windows open just means the system has to work harder as you are trying to cool down the outside air too!

I was under the impression that if you run aircon with the windows open it knackers it????...

I can't imagine any problems caused by running ac with the windows open, other than (theoretical) increased fuel consumption.

Heat to get the air inside to absorb more dampness, aircon to provide dry air and so able to soak up more dampness, open window to let damp air out.

Aircon comes on at any heat level, using aircon with windows open should not do any damage.

Before doing any of the above, give the windows a clean.

Soapy water and white backed scouring pad, dry with Bounty kitchenn wipe or the like.

If the windows are very dirty or this is your first clean, consider wiping down with panel wipe. Was, panel wipe, wash again.

My windows rarely steam up at all. If they do, they demist very quickly.

Body shops use it for final degrease before painting a car.

It's like a mild form of thinners. Wipe the panel and all grease is gone. It evaporates very quickly too.

Any body shop supplies or paint shop supplies place will have it in stock.

Also good at getting tar spots off the car if you don't want to use thinners for that.

You've just had the front end sprayed - go ask them for some panel wipe. Probably get for nowt.

It's about £12 for 5 litres, from memory.

For maximum drying use the ac plus warm air, with the heater set to fresh air not recirc. Slightly opening a window or sunroof will increase the airflow, which will also help.

^^^^ This.

I can't imagine any problems caused by running ac with the windows open, other than (theoretical) increased fuel consumption.

^^^^ And this. Where the theoretical increased fuel consumption is related to having the windows open, therefore causing more drag. If the a/c system is properly charged and functional, any extra fuel it may cause to be used is pretty negligible.

:)

Angus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.