Main Dealer timing belt change disaster

It's lovely and sunny outside and I got my celica back today from getting a belt change. I think that went well, my only doubt is about the cost of the water pump (I hope its not got a metal wheel inside).

Anyway the garage brought the car round the front of there forecourt for me and instantly I noticed the paintwork was all faded down the drivers side.

I thought it would wash off so I took it home. It didnt, so I took it back before I even thought about getting pics, so all I can say is the paint was all pink and streaky. The Garage agreed to drive me home while they sorted it out. Im not long back from having a look at it and yes it is a transformation, but......

In the process they've:

Left a black mark on the A post

Roughed up the roof spoiler rubber

Burnt throught the paint on part of the spoiler

Made the rear screen surround white

left loads of white chalk poweder stuff in all the pannel gaps

My mate says I should get a free respray but I just dont want to get into a shouting match with them, cause I might end up kicking F*** out out the nearest Yaris.

I paid for it before I saw the car. They sort of admited they used degreaser on the paintwork after it got sprayed with oil in the workshop apparently.

I just have this vision of the valeter doing the car with one hand on a rotary polisher and the other with a fag in it, like he didnt give a s*it. The car's still there now.

In a lot of ways Im thinking I dont want anybody to get in to trouble for this or get sacked but the paint work was nowhere near that bad before it went in for the belt change.

I paid for it before I saw the car. They sort of admited they used degreaser on the paintwork after it got sprayed with oil in the workshop apparently.

I just have this vision of the valeter doing the car with one hand on a rotary polisher and the other with a fag in it, like he didnt give a s*it. The car's still there now.

In a lot of ways Im thinking I dont want anybody to get in to trouble for this or get sacked but the paint work was nowhere near that bad before it went in for the belt change.

You cant worry about the garage, they will have insurance against this type of thing!

The fact is you have paid them for a service and they have damaged your property.

The way i see it you have 2 options

1. Insist they restore the car to its original condition at thier expense AND ensure you have a courtesy car for the duration of the work

or

2. Agree compensation with the garage for the value of a respray adn do it yourself or keep the cash and live with the paintwork.

Option 3. - just accept it because someone might get in trouble is not an option!

They have made a mistake, these things happen but they must put it right!

Good luck!

the garage will have product liability insurance which covers them for any damage caused to your vehicle ,

its not your place to worry about the who or the how,just get them to restore your property which was damaged while in thier care,they have a duty of care to return your vehicle to you in the same condition

if they argue the toss and by chance you paid with a credit card ,just complain to the card company

failing the credit card route a visit from trading standards usually does the trick

It is, but I'll say this in small words. the last time we had heavy rain several white spots apeared on my paint work that wouldnt come of. I have delicate paint. I even worry about breathing near the car. Not to mention all the little bits Ive touched in with a brush

Although tomorow morning I'll be back round there in the 340 and get somethning done. Thanks for all the support.

I wouldnt even worry about that(or mention it) ,the fact is someones used something thats reacted with the paint,they knew it,and wheeled it out to you knowing full well it was buggered.Theres no excuse for that ,and frankly i wouldnt think twice about someones job,if thats the kind of level of service they think is acceptable then they shouldnt be in the job anyway,someone more deserving should have it.They didnt give a fuck about you or your car,so no sentiment in return needed there.Really hope you get it sorted mate,i cant believe they thought theyd get away with it.They should have pointed it out in the first place.

I'm sure that is all against Toyota policy of handing over a car after service. At my Mr. T when you take back your car, BEFORE paying, you are taken to it with the service manager for hand over inspection. This is your chance to check all over before acceptance. You should also receive a customer quality service questionnaire by post or email to complete within 24-48 hours. Who's franchise is it? <BR><BR>Perhaps I've just been spoiled by mine over the last 18 years.<BR><BR>Border has been selling and servicing cars since 1991. We're a family owned independent main Toyota Centre, with an enviable reputation for exceptional levels of customer service and satisfaction. Thanks to our excellent reputation, a significant number of our customers come back to us again and again, and recommend their friends and family to do the same. In 2007 we won Toyota's first ever Pan European Customer Satisfaction Award "An Ichiban". Ichiban means number one in Japanese. We have subsequently won Ichiban in 2009, 2010 and again in 2011. This was the first time a Toyota Centre has won 4 awards in the 5 years. In 2008 we came 2nd. We believe that Customer Satisfaction is the corner stone of business and a pivotal part of our success.

Edited by GreyRacer

As mrsoundcraft has pointed out in small letters the paint was shit so lets not blame the garage and name them here, they have offered to put it right so in my mind they have been very reasonable.

Well the poor guy out front at the dealer has been great its just the "Fag in mouth" work ethic that apears to be causing the problems. My main complaint is that I have to wait till Tuesday before the real paint man can work on it.

From my point of view I had a car that went in for a timing belt change and came back with pink paint, in an atempt to fix this 1 other area of paint has been damaged and other parts have been scuffed, not to mension the amount of cutting compound/polish that still remains in powder form in all the gaps. I should have my car back, now, as it was before the belt was done. Still maybe the'll have a look at the bannana arm as compensation ;)

Brian, thanks for the offer but really Im not sure how much good it would do. I have been told that nothing can be done till Tuesday.

oh, and Gray Racer maybe this man is the reason for the low standards:

arnold_clark_2.jpg

Edited by mrsoundcraft

Its 50/50 really, paint was shit but looked good, shit paint reacted unusually.

End of the day if oil hadn't have sprayed on it all would be fine, be polite and let them sort it, if they won't sort it out get a "Members Group Guy" to turn up for a little muscle persuation :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.