Update:P6000 wrong tyre size fitted

Want this set of 4 off this week, real aquaplainers! In heated discussion with garage who recommended them...Last year ran Goodyear F1 (brilliant summer tyres in dry and wet, grip like spiderman) - (though have to be swapped before snow and ice makes a show :( ) The only problem with the F1s is that they didn't last long B)

Update! Garage have admitted that they have fitted wrong size tyres to my 17yr. Should have been 205/50/R16 87W

(no wonder I'm getting the worse/dangerous ride of my life!)

Offered me straight swap to Avon ZV5 http://www.tyrerevie...re/Avon/ZV5.htm

GoodYear Efficient Grip http://www.tyrerevie...ficientGrip.htm + £164 extra to pay

Yokohama S http://www.tyrerevie...ama/S-Drive.htm +£207 extra to pay

Bridgestone RE050 87V http://www.tyrerevie...tenza-RE050.htm + £140 extra to pay

Are they mad!... the last 3 dont have the edge like the F1s in wet (unless you know better :blush: )... Avon ZV5 appears to score the best grip in dry and wet...(wear on par with F1s - sadly ... price you pay for grip)

What do you think?

Edited by The Blue Meenie

Hi,look for somrthing other than NCT's especially as you are used to the F1's . . you've been frightened by the Pirellis( no surprise there ) . . . the NCT's are not that much better and NO comparison to the F1's . . . you will be dissapointed. My NCT's last 4 weeks on the car . . I took them off and got rid as I wanted to LIVE a bit longer

Looking on Blackcircles, Uniroyal's Rainexperts are slightly more expensive fully fitted (£77 a pop vs £70 for the P6000s) - obviously those are designed with the rain in mind, the customer comments are:

Customer comments:

"my car feels so much better with the uniroyals the bridgestone er300 that were on it before pulled the car in different directions on different roads make it feel very unstable it has now been transformed thanks uniroyal." - 06/06/2011

"I replaced Bridgestone ER30s with these Uniroyals and the car is transformed! The steering feels lighter and more precise and the whole car feels smoother, quieter and somehow safer. The front end no longer follows white lines or furrows in the road and gives me confidence that the car is going to go exactly where I point it. Oh, and the mpg has increased slightly too!! It's too early to tell about ware rates but so far these have proved to be excellent tyres." - 25/04/2011

"great far better then pirelli p6000 had on!" - 30/03/2011

"Always run on "top tier" rubber. Credit crunch ment I needed to save a couple of quid. Went for the Uniroyals and wont buy anything again. Wet weather control is first class and outperforms any Yokas I've had before. Dont know about wear yet but i'll be happy with a year out of them. " - 10/02/2011

"excellent tyres in wet conditions, increased grip over previous pirelli tyres, very good value for money " - 04/02/2011

In your size I would seriously look at

Vredestein Sportrac 3. I bought a set for my daughter's car and they are very good in the wet. And affordable. You can also upgrade to the Ultrac version.

The old version of Goodyears FI - The DGS3 can still be found at very reasonable prices as effectivly they have been superceeded by the F1 Assys

I have chopped and changed a bit over the years. 17" on gen6. 215/40/17. Might be 45 section. Cant remember.

Took off 4 mismatched cheapo tyres when I first bought the car and put on 4 Uniroyal Rainsport new.

Massive difference. I discovered these tyres when I had a Merc 190 which performed much better when these were on.

Moved onto 4 Toyo Proxes T1R.

Great tyres, tendency to wear quick though.

Swapped onto Goodyear Eagle F1 on front, Toyo T1R rear.

This combination is what I have maintained.

In the dry, most tyres perfform fairly similarly, quality tyres having the edge over budget.

In the wet, budget tyres tend to suffer sliding, not good.

My thinking with my combo is the F1 clear a path in the wet enogh for the toyo's to grip at the back.

F1's seem to last longer on the front than the Toyo.

Recently bought a set of wheels and tyres so I could get the tyres off and onto my car.

They were chepo brand and what a mistake that was.

The no-name brand tyres do not grip the road anything like as well as the worn out F1 and Toyo combo that I took opff.

So goodyear f1 and Toyo T1R, when worn out, grip better than nearly new cheap tyres.

Problem I had was two tyres had good tread but damaged sidewalls, two tyres had good carcass but worn out tread.

When I get a minute, the F1 and T1R combo are going back on, but for comfort will go for a higher profile.

Have you not thought it might all be in your head. I tend to buy the cheap tyres or gets sets of 2nd hand wheels with tyres. I just don't get these grip problems people keep coming up with.
Losing the car stability in the wet is certainly not in the head as it is a physical manifestation. It's in your hands, the way you personally drive, the car's setup and the rubber on the road. Set-up the handling characeristics of the car to the way you want drive, fit the best rubber you can afford and drive within your limitations depending upon conditions = no drama. Edited by GreyRacer

Have you not thought it might all be in your head. I tend to buy the cheap tyres or gets sets of 2nd hand wheels with tyres. I just don't get these grip problems people keep coming up with.

Tyre choice is THE most important thing you can do to look after your car and more importantly yourself inside and others around you. Forget your brakes, your suspension or your steering, none of these work without DECENT rubber between them and the road.

Why oh why did Yokohama stop the A086? that was a brilliant tyre wet or dry.

I'm running Falken ZE912s, good allrounder, I'd swear that they actually grip better on a slightly damp road than dry though, maybe they don't like dust. When did I fit them, Easter? can't remember but I've never had any major complants with them, a little ABS action on wet emergency braking and a couple of instances of minor wheelspin again on wet roads, they have quite soft sidewalls so you feels like you're getting a bit more understeer when in reality the tyre's just shifting it's not actually come unstuck yet. Wouldn't say they werre the ultimate tyre but they're certainly consistent all round.

Drive a rear wheel drive car with cheap tyres and you will really notice it, FWD is a little more forgiving but it still makes a huge difference.

I used to think that their was no difference in tyres until Id driven a car on the F1s - you can throw the car around like anything - but they dont last long - really depends on how you drive - if you dont boot into corners you dont really stress the tyres

In your size I would seriously look at

Vredestein Sportrac 3. I bought a set for my daughter's car and they are very good in the wet. And affordable. You can also upgrade to the Ultrac version.

The old version of Goodyears FI - The DGS3 can still be found at very reasonable prices as effectivly they have been superceeded by the F1 Assys

Trying to find F1s but none in stock ... Will look at price to change to F1 Assys

What do you know about Avon ZV5? See link in post

Are you mad? or Just young??? Good tyres are what prevents you from killing yourself and others on the road... doesn't matter if you're a tootler or a commuter. I do between 18000 to 21000 miles a year. I've seen crashes at 30 miles an hour and 60 miles an hour in the wet.... Do you know how much damage a car can do by aquaplaining on a dual carriage way at 40-50 miles per hour sideways? I've been there... seen it! worked for the manufactures of emergency hydraulic cutting equipment for 10 years - not pleasant! Metal crushs like a tin can. Good tyres for both Wet and Dry are a must :angry:

Rant over!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.