Today I will be bitching about insurance

soul45

Got a phone call yesterday from my broker telling me that my insurance is due next month and would I like to renew it...this being the end of my second year with these guys last lear was almost the same as the year before £355 fully comp.so I says yes but how much is it? "well sir it's gone up"..."you may have read about in the paper"..."all these false claims.blah blah"

so tell me how much then....£575!!!!!now this shit happened when I was with the post office..two good years them blam... so gets on the web.....£315 with Esure fully comp if I had said yes renew it they would have stiched me for £260 seems if you are new you get a better deal...the brokers use big firms (lots of banks) to underwrite the policy they are the guys who say how much for the risk of covering you(that price is not for discounting) then the broker adds his bit to it to it..he has no risk he just fills in some forms and thank you very much...so is this a regular scam trying to stich me evry two years or is it just that the banks need to make more money somehow...or it could all be in my own tiny mind...in any case still £260 better off

Edited by soul45

Yep, same happened to me, 2 yrs with Swiftcover but this year they wanted £540 and that was before adding such things as no claims protection, legal protection, windscreen etc. Before it was £260 on my old ST 1.8 TPFT, now i have the vert i had asked for fully comp and they said this was the best they could do. I went trawling about and got fully comp for the GT Vert for £225, much better :) it pays to shop around each year for a better deal

Swiftcover have provided me with the cheapest quotes for the last 4 years (and by a very good margin), but having lowered my cars I can't actually use them!

swift were the best last year for the veccy , nowadays there is no customer loyalty incentives , you might as well swap insurance every year , i know the gen 5 came in at £250 instead of £180 , till i noticed ALL the little extras they included , rac cover , legal cover etc , took all of it off and got it back to £180 , crafty bastards

So far I've switched nearly every year. Reason being is my first two years when I did accept the renewal, I found it wasnt really cheaper when I called around and was a sucker to not look at the time. I felt that when insurers have you there, they dont necessarily give you the best renewal as they don't have to compete for your business no more.

my thoughts are brokers arnt there to help out us the customers but simply to get as much bizz as possible , there no friends to anyone but themselves so no insurance thread ever surprises me any more , i guess in the dim and distant past as you were face to face with brokers they gave a shit slightly more due to wanting repeat business , these days it seems its fook it and theres plenty more fools out there

Just insured the SR again today as it happens. £300 FC with AF.

Used CompareTheMarket and AF.

Prices varied from £227 to just under £8k for excactly the same details.

The cheaper ones had higher X/S's, so I ended up sticking with Equity Red Star through AF, with a £300 x/s.

It does pay to shop around, but don't assume the cheapest price is the best deal.

Seems we are cash cows to be drained of as much money as possible...is there a better way??

don't see many on here writing their cars off...thinks give me £400 a year regardless of mods

top value at £3000 get 20 cars so that's £8000 as long as only two cars 10% are total scrap £125 each

I'm £2250 up on the year..happy days

if only..there's more to it that that but you get the idea

Edited by soul45

I never take a renewal price as it is never the best deal! I always go on to the web and do a search and most times I get a better deal from the same company as a new client getting all the discounts, I have saved myself a fortune doing that and reduced my premiums on my bike from £900 fully comp down to £150 with protected NCB over 4 years thats a massive difference, also once you have taken the policy its then a quick phone call giving your last policy number for them to check your NCB!! :D

Maybe we should whinge about Car Hire companies charging the Insurance Co's so much. Or find a way of getting the uninsured drivers to cough up more.

A sensible reply.

Last year the UK's private car insurance industry paid out £1.30 for every £1.00 they took in premiums, hence why rates are up by 30% - 40%. Some reading here:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Had-accident-Fake-injury-tele-1053476632.html

Please do not shoot the messenger. The industry is in a mess and needs sorting out, by this I mean everything from cash for claims scams, rediculous PI claims, bodyshops charging far to much, hire car companies charging far too much etc etc.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

It amazes me how many people seem to think that your insurance premium is based on the value of your car... it isn't, the major part of it is based on third party claims related to sex and age-group. Now the EC has decided that Insurance companies can't differentiate between male and female drivers you can expect to see premiums for the ladies rising slightly, premiums for males either staying still, rising, or more and more companies not prepared to offer insurance for lower age groups.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.