Leather VS Alcantara

tabbaranx

What are people's opinions on the pro's and cons of the two?

I've always been a fan of leather as easier to keep clean and looks better but recently found Alcantara to be more expensive than leather. Can't really see the justification for the higher price. Opinions please.

I'm not a fan of leather seats. For the bolsters it fine as nice and hard wearing. But find them slippy when spirited driving. I prefer my GT alcantara seats.

And yeah very cold in the mornings with leather!

Edited by splinter

I'm not a fan of leather seats. For the bolsters it fine as nice and hard wearing. But find them slippy when spirited driving. I prefer my GT alcantara seats.

And yeah very cold in the mornings with leather!

Exactly the reason I wish they'd have put heated leathers in the gen 7!

Is this somethin that can b added??

Technically yeah. You can buy a set of heat pads and install then into the foam. You would need to do a bit of research as to the heat resistance and wether you need some extra protection and stuff. But anything is technically possible!!

I do like leather but the seat has to support you well to stop you slipping around with a normal seat belt. One of the reasons I use a CG lock. Can be cold but with heated seats you can toast nicely. I has alcantara centres on my wife's Lexus and really did like it. Would probably prefer the Celica to have full alcantara complete with wheel.

Alcantara is more expensive because it's man-made and phenomenally hard-wearing. It retails for between £85 - £150 per metre and is 1.4 metres wide.

An average full-size leather hide is around 5 square metres and a top quality, UV treated upholstery hide can set you back £300 plus delivery.

In comparison, approximately 5 square metres of Alcantara (even at £85 per metre) will sting you for £476 (4 metres long x 1.4 metres wide).

As a rough guide to coverage, 5 square metres will usually cover a pair of front seats. Another 5 square metres for the rear seats. So, anyone who fancies a full Alcantara retrim but balks at the £1,000+ quote they're given, just try and remember that the poor trimmer would like to try and get some sort of payout for the huge amount of time and effort that goes into building seats...

I'm not a fan of leather seats. [..] But find them slippy when spirited driving.

:werd:

Leather is slippy, cold in the winter and boiling in the summer. I don't get why people like them so much. I got shot of the leathers in the faff in favour of cloth seats.

indeed duds, i have never seen the attraction. more trouble than they are worth. same with sofas. for my last house and batchelor pad, i bought a huge corner sofa in black leather! gets very hot sticky and sweaty! lovely... although they were wipe clean... Giggedy! :lol:

Leather looks better though and doesn't look dated like cloth seats in all Celica's (well, all cars infact) do with their 80's/90's patterns of varying degrees of garishness.

It's a style choice at the end of the day. I'm happy to deal with a cold/hot backside for a better interior just like some people are happy with inferior handling by putting 18/19" wheels on in wanting their car to look better.

The alcantara Gen 7 GT seats provide the best of both worlds though and id have them in my car in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive and hard to get hold of :(

Once upon a time in the future, when I get some bucket seats, my GT interior will be for sale on here. Be a while off yet though! They are fantastic seats but aren't grippy enough. I need some racing seats that really hug you tight for track days.

Once upon a time in the future, when I get some bucket seats, my GT interior will be for sale on here. Be a while off yet though! They are fantastic seats but aren't grippy enough. I need some racing seats that really hug you tight for track days.

Need these

221.jpg

Johnny. I would have them off you in a heart beat if they were for sale mate. And if they are PM me some details.

My dream seat is the Bride Gias Low max. Which of in not mistaken, are these seats? I have the Takata harness already. Mine is the black version with green text ;)

I'm not a fan of the leather in gen 7's it doesnt seem anywhere near the quality of the gen 6 ones. In the gen 6 they look far better than the fabric ones, easy to clean and not noticed any problems when driving enthusiastically

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.