turbo question

Kieren9989

For all you 3sge guru's out there. The 3sge is used in the mr2 which also has a turbo model. The gt-four is a 3sge with a turbo . . . So are all the internals from my 95 GT capable of taking the same turbo from the four?

If so id need the manifold, custom downpipe, turbo and what else? Ive never turbo'd an N/A engine before. Cheers

ah , you sir need to look up the difference between the engines , there are 3 is i remember correctly that matter known as rev3 , 4 and 5 ( rev for revision )

the 3sge and the 3sgte ( turbo lump ) are VERY different , even the block , you cant just lash a turbo manifold onto the end of the block and shout work , takes rather more , lowering of compression as a simple example , much easier to drop a turbo lump in your own understanding 300 bhp and front wheel drive isnt going to be easy to handle

Edited by izzzzythedog

It requires a lot of work. The 3S-GE is a high compression ratio engine, which make it poor to actually turbo charge, you need to change quite a few of the internals to make it low compression. When you add the cost of the custom fabrication and all the bits you need, it's cheaper to just buy a 3S-GTE where Toyota has already done the hard work.

Cheers. Ah see i wondered what the 'rev' was. So the internals from mine wouldnt cope?

One of my pals has a is200 which i believe is the same engine his is charged. And well drifting it hasnt blown the engine yet haha. Im just wondering if the engine will be able to take the pressure.

It requires a lot of work. The 3S-GE is a high compression ratio engine, which make it poor to actually turbo charge, you need to change quite a few of the internals to make it low compression. When you add the cost of the custom fabrication and all the bits you need, it's cheaper to just buy a 3S-GTE where Toyota has already done the hard work.

Will the GT gearbox fit the 3sgte? If the bell housing fits from my box then it should ok right?

In theory you could put a turbo on a 3sge , but you would have to run it low boost so it just wouldn't be worth doing , many of quids for very minimal gains , remember funkysr tubbyed a 1.8 !

As every bod says above , just get hold of a 3sgte , everything you need all in one neat package

Theres a thread on here somewhere where JeffRosie goes through what's needed for the 3sge. Compression rate is 10.3:1, the 3sfe and 7afe have rations of 9.5:1, which is getting better, 3sgte is 8.5:1 all courtesy of wiki on here.

Honestly, the amount you would pay, buy the 3sgte engine on sale here(if it still is) much better value!

Though it is fun doing it the hard way ;)

Edited by digs

Cheers. Ah see i wondered what the 'rev' was. So the internals from mine wouldnt cope?

One of my pals has a is200 which i believe is the same engine his is charged. And well drifting it hasnt blown the engine yet haha. Im just wondering if the engine will be able to take the pressure.

is200 ? the 6 cylinder ? poignant car to list

the is200 is possible to make great things , spunk a couple of grand and you could be upto the same power output as a altezza rs200 at a couple of hundred brake and have lashed out twice the price , make that 5-6 grand and you can have massive unreliability and the same power as a t280 altezza or a greddy turbo kitted rs ,,, the kits what 2 grand ? money for no real reason and to make a lesser car !

so yeah you could turbo it but if it were me id pay less than a grand for a shed 205 and swop eveything over , yeah the box will fit and thats a tough old box and will cope with the power i recon , box`s dont fail they just cruch into 3 after 100,000 miles normally

Or you could fit the pistons from a 3sgte to your block and drill and tap the block for the oil feed to turbo and fit a gte sump for the return

All doable but then you still have the limitations of the ecu and clutch and box options. As said above, easiest option is to swap out a full gte conversion package

Even if you buy a rev3 3SGTE it’s not a matter of a just swapping the engines over and job done, there are additional sensors with the turbo, different ECU, intercooler/change cooler to be added and deference in exhaust systems to name but a few and also as others have found out brakes to upgrade too. So as you can see a lot involved in both time and money but if it’s something you want to do for engineering shits and giggles then go for it. Dorris

best option by far is to buy a GT4 if you want GT4 performance. It will be cheaper too.

This should be stickied as a standard response for the 'I want to go faster' question we get every week

I have a 140 , how can I make it go faster , buy a 190 , I have a 190 , how can I make it faster , buy a gt4 :)

I have a gt4 , how can I make it faster , pray to god ( insert your own god depending on your beliefs) you win the lottery and buy shares in shell :D

would be interesting to see a rev 3 3s-ge boosted, i did the maths a while back on the dynamic compression and its really not that bad, the static compression isnt that high to begin with, and the higher lift longer duration cams lower the dynamic compression, plus the pistons are similar to a rev 2 3s-gte

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.