need slight help with wheels

Ive gone out today and checked to see how i get the wheels of the car today in a few weeks time when i paint my calipers but im not sure if we have aluminuim wheel caps over the top of the bolts .

Ive found that i have a threeway socket which looks in good condition and that allows you to put into the positions so I should be ok for lock nuts but the others here :

IMG_20130407_112343_zps0c9ff1ce.jpg

are these the covers or the main bolts as i dont seem to have any tool below that would fit over those ?

i did notice theres a cap and a stem thing

IMG_20130407_112445_zps47277a46.jpg

Looks like your wheel nuts are standard, in which case you'll need a 21mm socket if the wheel wrench is missing.

As regards the locking nut, the two pieces of black plastic are for removing the chrome sleeve, which has gone walkies.

I'd buy a set of McGard locking nuts (ams may be able to supply), as the ones you have fitted can easily break, and it's sods law it will be when you have a puncture in the pouring rain.

Hi,appologies if you are already aware of this but if you intend to do anything other than change a wheel do not just rely on the jack to hold the vehicle up . . .. buy and USE axle stands.

Appreciate this is a boring bit but it doesn't take much movement for a car to fall or roll off the jack provided and if you are underneath,have you legs or head in there then . . . . . . . . . .

Better safe than squashed

Looks like your wheel nuts are standard, in which case you'll need a 21mm socket if the wheel wrench is missing.

As regards the locking nut, the two pieces of black plastic are for removing the chrome sleeve, which has gone walkies.

I'd buy a set of McGard locking nuts (ams may be able to supply), as the ones you have fitted can easily break, and it's sods law it will be when you have a puncture in the pouring rain.

i will do kev i have looked again and they are standard type as i found there are two stainless steel caps over the locking nuts and the rest with the wrench attached to the board

Thats the wheel chock.

yep thats ingenius ive never seen any like that supplied for the car before

Hi,appologies if you are already aware of this but if you intend to do anything other than change a wheel do not just rely on the jack to hold the vehicle up . . .. buy and USE axle stands.

Appreciate this is a boring bit but it doesn't take much movement for a car to fall or roll off the jack provided and if you are underneath,have you legs or head in there then . . . . . . . . . .

Better safe than squashed

already got two sets mate,trolley jack as well so dont worry safety is paramount lol

so has anybody really had any issues with removing the wheel nuts and are the bolts or nuts that undo from the wheel ? i did see in my car history literally every year the car has had new tyres all the time so i guess theye come undone now problem plus i also have a breaker bar sleeve for more leverage

Unless you are mega unlucky and some tyre fitter has had his air gun maxed out to something stupid, they should come off fine. Remember to check your wheel nuts again once you have had the wheel on and off. Just to make sure they are all as tight as they should be. When you undo and do up the nuts I like to in do the locker first and do it up last. Also good general practice to tighten etc opposite nuts to, so the wheel sits squarely.

ok i will do that in that order , i know we had a set of tri lock type but the metal socket must of been made out of ice cream lol as it just wouldnt sit on the areas in should to unlock , i think in the end my gf dad drilled into the bolt in the cente with a tap and die set i believe and thats how that was removed from a vx vectra if i can remember but the toyota ones do seem more stronger.also i checked lunchtime in the passenger rear compartment and i have a scissor jack but it seems bolted in how do you undo that as well (bloody japs lol ) its only because i was used to things like this rolling about in the cars lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.