Are Celica's selling (or any car for that matter)?

Pingpong64

Im having to sell mine and have had it up for about a month and the interest Ive received is probably the worst with any car Ive owned (and thats probably over 50 now).

Im amazed to be honest but looking around I have seen other cars of other makes and models up for sale that were being advertised 6 months ago.

I wonder if this is a sign of the continued recession in this country.

Where is the best place to sell a car these days? Im on ebay as well but I dont really think of that as the best place to advertise because of all the dodgy extras that come with it (people!) and autotrader seems to be dieing on its feet.

Tis the worst time of year for selling, Dec, Jan, Feb is awful usually anyway but tis also i guess due to people looking for smaller economical type cars due to belt tightening :(

When you say on ebay as well, you mean as well as here? Thing is, if is on here then most of us have already got Celicas

Local freebie paper/Pistonheads ?

Tis the worst time of year for selling, Dec, Jan, Feb is awful usually anyway but tis also i guess due to people looking for smaller economical type cars due to belt tightening :(

When you say on ebay as well, you mean as well as here? Thing is, if is on here then most of us have already got Celicas

Local freebie paper/Pistonheads ?

Its on ebay, pistonheads and on here. The appeal on a site like this is future owners will have a look rather than targeting existing owners. I may carry on through March then as thats a very good point you make about time of the year.

Edited by Pingpong64

Gumtrees good mate even I'm surprised. I put my motorbike on glasgow and had lots of interest, I now have a guy coming from wales at the weekend to buy said bike.

Make sure you put in an area that has lots of folk looking. to do this when it asks your location put in the nearest big town in rather than your postcode (sure this is a selectable option at that point)

when I put in my postcode it wanted to list in gumtree falkirk wich isn't hugely popular. so I changed it to glasgow and it got plenty of views etc.

Im on gumtree all the time looking it does seem to be very popular and tbh I don't think I'd sell any vehicle on ebay. they take a cut and it just doesn't seem to be as popular for adverts these days

Hope this helps

oh, 1 wee caveat on gumtree. Put your price above what you want to start with, I know this sounds good sense but first thing you will get is loads of offers. Also, never go out your way for somebody on gumtree (sorry if that sounds bad) it's a really bad site for people not turning up. I had about 3 occasions were folk didn't turn up one of wich I went out my way for. But I can assure you if you stick at it you will be rewarded

I think cars will always sell if they are cheap enough. Trouble is that the celica (as Arizona pointed out) is a sports car which comes with higher running costs. People want small, economical motors nowadays and who can blame them. Also, lovely as it is the celica is now an old car and nobody wants to pay top money anymore. That's rough if you have a late model car and want a good price for it.

I've noticed that the celica now seems to appeal to the younger end of the market. They want something cool, fun and on top of that a celica seems to be quite reasonable on insurance. But I would say most are looking to spend as little on the car as possible to offset the cost of fuel, tax and insurance.

Something to consider with eBay (and this is risky and not for the feint hearted!)...

If you list the car as an auction starting at say a grand with no reserve it will generate interest. I know this sounds crazy but I've seen it done a few times and mostly a car will realise its true value. My mate had to sell an Audi TT quickly. At first he put it in the classifieds and got nowhere. Eventually he put it on auction and it ended up selling for just under what he was asking in the first place. At the worst you can always pull the listing at the last minute if it looks bad. Just a thought.

If it is advertised widely at the right price it will sell. Sometimes the right price is not the one you would like. 03 Mondeo 68.5 k full history 1200 ouch! but thats what they fetch in Feb. spent months adverting it trying for 1500. Sold it off the street as I was prepared to drop the final couple of hundred to be shot of it and into something a bit more fun. Well a lot more hopefully!

I am busting a gut to buy a TSport (eh Chris?) but am on a budget and won't pay over odds for tat. (Not suggesting for a moment yours is tat!!!!) But the variety of prices is huge! Just put it in at a bit over what you want and accept you will have to drop until it sells. You choose how fast and how far, but that's supply and demand.

Present the car well in the pictures. Use proper English (saw one ad "Wiv new tyres" wouldn't buy from the plank on principle!). Plug mainteance all plus features and no BS!

May help to mention the Club as it shows you loved the little bus, sad to see her go, sniff and good luck.

well lets put it this way I was lucky to sell my vx v6 last year in november as one I was struggling with the fuel costs of the 2.5 v6 engine , the engine are buggers to work on and some tasks not too simple and as i had tired the vauxhalls after 9 years of being on a boring forum which didnt hardly get many online ,and anything i would say would get slated and tbh i was looking at getting something with around a 1.8 or a two litre engine and toys etc and even after 4 months I still love the Tsport and I am definately not missing the previous car.I sold the vx with a years mot for £450 to a old school buddy and a month later after he realised it was a expensive car to run he sold it and got £350 and its either people are keeping their cash close to them or people are wanting smaller cars like diesels.

hope you get someone look at it soon mate

If it is advertised widely at the right price it will sell. Sometimes the right price is not the one you would like. 03 Mondeo 68.5 k full history 1200 ouch! but thats what they fetch in Feb. spent months adverting it trying for 1500. Sold it off the street as I was prepared to drop the final couple of hundred to be shot of it and into something a bit more fun. Well a lot more hopefully!

I am busting a gut to buy a TSport (eh Chris?) but am on a budget and won't pay over odds for tat. (Not suggesting for a moment yours is tat!!!!) But the variety of prices is huge! Just put it in at a bit over what you want and accept you will have to drop until it sells. You choose how fast and how far, but that's supply and demand.

Present the car well in the pictures. Use proper English (saw one ad "Wiv new tyres" wouldn't buy from the plank on principle!). Plug mainteance all plus features and no BS!

May help to mention the Club as it shows you loved the little bus, sad to see her go, sniff and good luck.

i bought my tsport with one dent in the drivers door (history from a previous female so i was told and quite a few dents very small ) but apart from those the car is quite mint , interior is untouched with 97k on the clock and it had 10 mths mot for £2300 and it turned out less than 5 miles from my doorstep.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try gumtree over the weekend. Ive now removed it from ebay, doubt I will go down that road again. I dont think it was overpriced, mind you everyone looks for a bargain these days so what is a good price anyway.

Its shame too, as Im starting to enjoy it, but Im really concerned about future costs (personal not the car) at the moment and need to change asap. The car itself is no more expensive than my MG though but I just need something more fuel efficient.

Edited by Pingpong64

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.