mot failing on loud custom exhaust

mr02mcg

sitting in the mot station just now and the guy said he had been trying to contact me before i went for my mot to tell me the regs have changed and that my exhaust now needs a bung to pass the mot. Has anyone else came across this?

Mine is most certainly louder than yours, it passed with an advisory and a wink

Did they actually measure its levels? I think it is more likely is at their discretion whether to pass or not , i could be wrong but a friendly local garage may be more amenable?

Must be within the last year. I googled it and got no joy. I will wait till i am at home and look it up on a bigger screen than my phone. Quite annoyed about it though. It means a retest and me having to buy something i dont want.

it is down to the testers discretion if the noise is slightly louder ,but if its obviously much louder then it fails ,

fyi this is not really a new test criterea ,but has been made much clearer in the test manual due to rewording which happened on the 1st of jan 2012 ,so has been in force now over a year

Found a bung on ebay and it is only 15.50 so I am gonna buy that and see if it works.

I've been thinking about one of those things that sit in the midpipe & can be activated from inside. Mate had one in his skyline - Apexi control valve I think. Expensive, but bloody good when you want a quieter ride.

my last celica was rediculously loud and passed less than a month ago, it is down to testers discretion and technically if they want to be harsh they can fail it on anything louder than the car was in standard form but most testers wont be that nasty

To be honest.......the loudest part of my car comes from the induction noise! It really roars when the carbs open up and drowns out what comes from the exhaust........at least from the drivers seat.

It's passed two MOT's since I restored it, one by a mate though....and one by my local garage. Neither commented on exhaust noise.

It's worrying though that Plod can pull me up like the OP and then I'm done for! :angry:

A Db meter is not used for noise testing during the MOT.....yet.

Its discretionary only. However, the regs say that an exhaust must not be unreasonably loud when compared to a similar vehicle with a standard exhaust in reasonable condition, make of that what you will.

My garage once had a car in for a service an after market exhaust and an MOT. In that order. I failed the car because the exhaust we had just fitted was deafeningly loud and the owner wasnt best pleased - his fault, if he asked for the exhaust to be fitted, AFTER the MOT there would be no problem but he wanted it done during the service (to highlight any potential test failure items).

I did warn him.

Edited by foxxy

In the 2 and half years ive been testing ive only ever failed one car for being too loud and that was an impreza, even on idle you could hardly hear yourself think then on power it was totally rediculous! I was told to fit his standard exhaust system, do the re-test then refitted and invoiced him stating that it was too loud just to cover myself!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.