Winter Tyres

GreyRacer

That is interesting, my insurer doesn't need informing. However, I wonder with the introduction of these new tyre lables, how long will it be before what tyres are fitted to your car will influence a premium for insurance or an outcome of any claim after an accident.

Insurance companies just get more and more ridiculous

How would fitting Winter tyres to you car in Winter make any difference to your insurer, it's not like you are going to fit massive 20" chrome spinners with Winter tyres onto a car that runs all year on steelies

It would make more sense if you had to declare if you were running on ditch finders rather than a decent mid/top range tyre

That is interesting, my insurer doesn't need informing. However, I wonder with the introduction of these new tyre lables, how long will it be before what tyres are fitted to your car will influence a premium for insurance or an outcome of any claim after an accident.

I'd like to see the insurance companies penalise people who use cheap rubber by increasing their premiums. Those idiots driving on sub-standard tyres are a danger to other roads users and themselves.

Though to be honest I could not care less what they do to themselves, family and car as long as it is to themselves only.

How would fitting Winter tyres to you car in Winter make any difference to your insurer, it's not like you are going to fit massive 20" chrome spinners with Winter tyres onto a car that runs all year on steelies

It would make more sense if you had to declare if you were running on ditch finders rather than a decent mid/top range tyre

Absolutely. Get them off the road.

no and no.

good to know.

don't have the spare cash to spend on winter tyres though :( will just have to drive slowly and hope for the best.

because obviously if you're sensible enough to splash out to buy winter tyres to keep yourself safe, then you'll want your car to be able to handle like it's on rails while speeding around like a nutter on icy roads.

:brickwall:

no and no.

good to know.

don't have the spare cash to spend on winter tyres though :( will just have to drive slowly and hope for the best.

because obviously if you're sensible enough to splash out to buy winter tyres to keep yourself safe, then you'll want your car to be able to handle like it's on rails while speeding around like a nutter on icy roads.

:brickwall:

Dont have them on my Celica, only the RAV4. You can just be one of the Londoners who block the streets Steve, lol.

The problem with driving slow is sometimes to don't have the momentum in the snow to keep going. I found by experience that 20 mph in the Celica is the slowest continuous speed to keep going in fresh snow a few inches deep. Average city speeds are far less so cars get caught up and cant get moving again without help. Up here though even having winters may not help as when the guys in front have spun out and blocked your way, you can't go anywhere anyway, apart from taking to the verges in 4 wheel drive with the diffs locked.

aye, I bet snowtyres on the RAV makes it a beast!

I tend not to take the car out really if the snow's too bad.

I remember last year seeing lots of cars struggling to get up a relatively shallow hill... :lol:

Can't be anywhere near as bad as the 'weather' you get oop in bonny Scotland

I see you point Rich but we fit many winter tyres and it suprises me how many people then keep them on year round until they wear out, and you can imagine how badly they will fair in summer cornering and how much dry stopping distances increase.

Never fitted winter tyres since the past few years with extreme snows and so far no problems with it, just drive sensibly and be gentle with the accelerator... Just like my House Mate when He was going for work in the Morning and trying to get out of the driveway, He was there for ages and still can't get out to the point that His car was already sideways. I just told Him that I'll do it for Him and the car came out with no drama... He just don't know how to do it... :brickwall:

Edited by Boynxdoor

I see you point Rich but we fit many winter tyres and it suprises me how many people then keep them on year round until they wear out, and you can imagine how badly they will fair in summer cornering and how much dry stopping distances increase.

Still probably no worse than cheap Chinese ditch finders though, and you don't have to declare those to your insurance company

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.