Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

Wow :o just read right through all this, very interesting stuff. I’d heard many stories before about how exhaust noise could not really be effectively measured because no one can agree on how to do it, but this all really takes the biscuit :blink:

You should deffo take them to court as a matter of principle mate. Might be worth looking into one of these no win no fee type company’s to represent you though or better still bung a big e-mail off to a few car mags. Bet 1 of them somewhere would be interested in providing your court fees for the story ;)

And hears my thought on the original situation. My ST has completely standard Toyota branded exhaust system. But I have slipped a tip over the end, you know a slide it on and tighten up the jubilee clip job. Now in bored plod land I guess this could ‘look’ loud! So if they pull me and test me and the car fails, which judging from most peoples findings it probably would, just how do they suggest it is made quieter??? :huh:

No need to get a solicitor or to even use a duty solicitor at the court. Its easy to represent yourself, you know the facts and can put your own case across. I remember when i did i wasnt daunted when i got in there as i knew i didnt want to be sat there while some solicitor was trying to make my point and not be able to say anything - it was a great feeling when i'd done it and judge threw it out once had put my case :)

When you are waiting to go in and bored and ready to go home you'll likely be given an opportunity to settle before going in, do it and you'll be pi**ed at yourself all the way home ;)

Go get 'em

I feel for you bro, I have been monitoring your thread since you posted it up, firstly because I live down the road from you and work round the corner, secondly because I have a very loud exhaust and thirdly because I have been in a very similar predicament in Wymondham involving Norfolk Plod.

My sister-in-law is a trainee barrister in Norwich, and the advice she gave me was: although the police are NOT the law, they merely enforce the law but they can perceive the law differently to the actual law, and in almost all cases get away with it either way; because they make mistakes and are therefore responsible to their line manager, after the event. However if you drag matters through the courts, you could win or lose, but you could also be eligible to pay for the cost of doing so, either way.

In my case she said I had an extremely strong case to argue my innocence, but the shut up £65 fine and 3 points were not worth arguing about v the court costs if they came my way, no points but could have been a massive court fee, rather than £65.

In your case the £30 fine and no points could be a good thing, especially with the research you have conducted, £30 shut up I know, it’s the principal of the matter, same as me, and in hindsight I kinda wish I had dragged my innocence’s through the courts, rather than pay the shut up fee.

The police are not the LAW

The courts are the law, but you might have to pay for them and others to help you out.

I think Black Night has the answer, go to the magazines and papers, especially local ones (wish I had done this) to see if any will support you with legal aid, what the hell they get the scoop either way and pay for it.

Sunday, I walked the kids and dog down the end part of London road in Wymondham back home and a motorbike drove past 3 times with no exhaust, my 11 year daughter put her hands over her ears and screamed because it was soooooo loud, at a guess 140Db, figure that out!!

N

Off to the Citizens Advice today to see what they have to say. Then will see what the plan is from there. If I take it to magistrates court the fine is automatically doubled apparently, but I ams 99.9% sure I have them on a technicality. It's that 0.1% doubt that is niggling at the back of my mind.

CAB were VERY helpfull, got an appt. with their solicitor tomorrow to see if the legal route is the way to go, By all accounts they said that the Police did the test incorrectly and as the test was done above the ISO rev limit, then there was no evidence of an offence taking place.

But will wait to see what the legal boffins have to say tomorrow.

As usual, I'll keep you all informed

Interesting, will be following this as the GTO at 3/4 revs will shake your windows, unfortunately 3/4 revs 5250 and it makes max power at 6000rpm so falls into the 375 test. Now that is much MUCH quieter, but going back to the difference in testing methods ie drive by and static, i can without doubt say the GTO is much quieter under load....

Had a read of the drive-by test at work today, my God it's complicated. You need an ISO approved tarmac strip, Liight sensor beams at two separate positions on the track, sensors on the car, a Radar, sensors to take into account the Doppler effect. (objects seem quieter coming towards you and louder going away from you) and so on. Hence the static test is done.

Bryan, I may take you up on that, but will wait and see what the solicitor says tomorrow.

Hears another thought on the matter. If I’m right, that exhaust system has been on the car since you bought it x number of years ago? Now I know ignorance is no defence and all that, but if in x years of ownership no one has ever pointed out that it may be illegally loud how were you supposed to know??? If you were a lesser knowledgeable person about Celica’s you would probably assume that it was a perfectly stock system. Got to be some mileage in that.

Also I definitely think you should wright to a few of the tuner mags. After all if things get this stringent on the law then they will practically be out of business :huh:

Well, I for one am pleased the police are on the case and continuing their war on the motorist (well the ones they can catch easily) I mean at least they're keeping themselves busy, spending our hard earned public money wisely, god, what else would they be doing if we weren't around, maybe they would have found that poor girls body a week earlier if they were doing real policing!!! they may even be able to police our town centre's on a Friday and Saturday night a bit more efficiently, or catching the robbers, muggers and rapists who roam our streets, or what about the bloke who nicked your car? bet they're scouring the streets high and low for him!!!! bloody inconsiderate of you to tie them up with your noisy exhaust, you should be ashamed of yourself.

PMSL :laugh2:

Well here is today's update. Went in to see the local CAB to see their take on this situation . They couldn't see why the police were arguing the toss over it as the paperwork showed in black and white that they did the test incorrectly, but they put me in touch with a local solicitor to cast his leagal beady eye over it. Which was this afternoon. His thoughts were that, even though motoring issues can be complex and that it wasn't his field he could see the blatant error in the police form and that the test was done incorrectly and as such , no evidence of any offence took place.

I was asked if I had legal cover on my insurance, which I do. Or if I belonged to the RAC or AA, which I don't. I was also advised that if I do go to the magistrates court over this then the Police would look into the evidence more throughly than they have done so far and in all probability withdraw their action.

So it looks like I'm taking Plod to court.

So I may be asking advice later.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.