Calling all Tire experts…

As a general rule of thumb, just to through a bit of uncertainty in though, standard fit tyres tend to under read on the speedo to actual speed, usually to the tune of 10%. I have come across some accurate vehicles but not many. Also bear in mind that as a tyre wears your actual speed will reduce compared to engine revs due to loosing about 12mm diameter off your tyre from new to illegal (new tyre generally have 8mm tread, illegal 1.6 so say 2mm to be safe). If you drive with a sat nav or safety camera system, compare the indicated speed on this with your speedo.Whatever the percentage difference is between these, if the sat nav read higher by say 10%, you can choose a tyre with a 10% larger rolling circumference (3.142*diameter) before risking your licence. Just make sure you measure your tread depth first though and factor this into your calculations.

Well this question has generated quite a debate hasn’t it :lol:

Thank you to everyone for all your advice. Definitely going to go 205/50 R16. Tyre calculators report that that will be 0.37% bigger than current meaning that at 70mph actual speed will be 70.26mph. Seeing as currently when 70 on clock sat nav shows 68 that should be fine :D

Lankyalien. As for considering current tread depth that’s just too mind boggling for me to compute! :blink: All I can say is that at present all tyres have good levels of tread.

I thought gen 5 came with 14" wheels, gen 6 with 15" ?

Prefacelift 5 came with 14"s, facelift came with 15"s

Gen 5

Pre-Facelift GT - 14 x 6, ET 45mm - 205/60R14

Facelift GT - 15 x 6, ET 45mm - 205/55R15

GT4 Carlos Sainz - 15 x 6.5, ET 39mm - 215/50R15

Gen6

ST - 14 x 6, ET 45mm - 195/65R14

LTD - 14 x 6, ET 45mm - 195/65R14

SR - 16 x 7, ET 45mm - 205/50VR16

GT - 15 x 7, ET 45mm - 205/55VR15

Cabriolet - 15 x 7, ET 45mm - 205/55VR15

GT-Four - 16 x 7.5, ET 45mm - 215/50WR16

Gen 7

16" 5 Spokes - 16 x 6.5, ET 39mm - 205/50R16

17" Alloys, 17 x 7, ET 38mm

17" Tech 5's 17 x 7, ET 38mm

Gen6

ST - 14 x 6, ET 45mm - 195/65R14

Gen 7

16" 5 Spokes - 16 x 6.5, ET 39mm - 205/50R16

Now I dont really understand this ET stuff, but I do notice that its a fair bit different between the wheels. Does this mean I'm going to need spacers or anything to fit the G7 wheels to my 6?

The smaller the ET number the further out from the hub the wheel will sit.

Difference between ET 39 and ET 45 is 6 mm.

So the ET 39 wheel will sit 6mm further out into the arch than the ET 45.

The & wheel is 1/2 wider and the tyres are 10 mm wider.

I think the seven wheels/tyres will fill out your 6 arches nicely without spacers.

The smaller the ET number the further out from the hub the wheel will sit.

Difference between ET 39 and ET 45 is 6 mm.

So the ET 39 wheel will sit 6mm further out into the arch than the ET 45.

The & wheel is 1/2 wider and the tyres are 10 mm wider.

I think the seven wheels/tyres will fill out your 6 arches nicely without spacers.

Ahh cool, that makes sense now then, cheers. Of course the down side to that then is going to be even more mud fling up the sides of the car :rolleyes:

Edited by Black Knight

I originally thought this thread was about the US market with their "tires" rather than our "Tyres", (sorry Ian, being a bit pedantic here about spelling ;) ) but after reading all the stuff about Axle speeds, revolutions of the wheel over X amount of millimeters, GPS measurements and speedo accuracy my brain has just exploded. :blowup:

I need a coffee or something a little stronger

Best bet is to have a read of this

http://www.celica-cl...ents-and-terms/

I did, several times, and got more confused each time!?! :blink:

I originally thought this thread was about the US market with their "tires" rather than our "Tyres", (sorry Ian, being a bit pedantic here about spelling ;) )

Sorry Simon, this mistake has been pointed out to me already and I can only hang my head in shame. Oh and its Iain…not Ian ;):lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.