who carrys there spare

I have my spare on board.

Needed it 3 times in six years, including when a pair of snips pliers lodged themselves in the tyre.

Also ran over a pothole that destroyed the tyre and I was in a hurry to hospital appointment.

Glad on that occasion that I carry a cordless impact wrench as well.

I carry my full size spare for same reason as John, potholes done a couple over the last year and last time it was 11.30 at night and raining :( for speed now i have a small trolley jack in the boot too and i can dump off the wheel to be fixed on the way to work then chuck it in the boot and it becomes the spare, no messing with changing over again

Another reason I changed to a space saver is on the 6 you get a really annoying hump in the boot floor with a full size spare, as the wheel well isn't deep enough. Makes carrying things in the boot more awkward. With a space saver the boot floor is totally flat...

Edited by Alistair_GT

After hearing about John.Drums incident I think having a spare is generally the best of ideas really. If you have a blowout, does that mean while they're towing the car up onto the truck you're literally scraping metal from the alloys?

Yeah, after what happened to me i will always make sure i have a spare.

Where we all getting these space savers from guys? Anybody got one from a GT4 going spare, I think they're 17" aren't they?

im sure biggy has abotu 6 nix has a few too he may even have a gen 7 specific one

It's not the law/MOT to have a spare, but if you do it has to be legal (thread depth etc)

The AA are fussy when it comes to your tyres, they normally won't tow you back for free if you don't have a spare - they will tow you for free still though if the tyre isn't the right size/fitment or not road worthy! From my experience anyway

Rich that's one of the original factory GT alloys in the boot, i never carried it (well, not in the last 2 of the 4 years I owned her) as like you said, it weighs a ton!! My wheel well is now storage for essential GT4 crap, like tools etc :)

It's not the law/MOT to have a spare, but if you do it has to be legal (thread depth etc)

What Chris said.

Jersey is too small... If I need the spare then it will take someone 10-15 mins to get it from my house and back to me. I'd rather not carry it and have the whole of my boot to fill with rubbish. I do take it when I travel abroad though.

I got bored a while back and had some spare carpet so I decided that I would fit this in my boot for the time being before I work of fabricating a sound system in the boot :)

Rich that's one of the original factory GT alloys in the boot, i never carried it (well, not in the last 2 of the 4 years I owned her) as like you said, it weighs a ton!! My wheel well is now storage for essential GT4 crap, like tools etc :)

What Chris said.

i know its brand new never been on the road in 14 years by looks of it lol is really heavy tho,think it would make quite a big diffrence taking that out if im honest,not just for performance but surely fuel as well,its like carrying a person in the boot

Nothing in the MOT to check the condition of the spare - hear this quote a lot but its not true.

Some new Seats, vauxhalls dont have run-flats or come with a spare, they have a space in the boot for one though - would the AA refuse to tow on them?

Gen7 imports come with 16" space savers - have a few available - shocks will keep a smaller import screw in the car and ping you next time Im in Kent

I used to but now I have got rid. I have full aa cover so don't really need it :)

I have roadside relay tow home etc. I'd just say take it home, for free :)

Another risk is that if it's chucking it down you (plus any passengers) will be waiting on the roadside for at least 30mins for the "cavalry" to show up.

I carry the full size atm... space savers seem a good idea though!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.