to keep or not to keep

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what you have written ...

you really like your car (and its a very nice example!)

but quite honestly

if you are going to have to take out a loan for a gt4 then you know in your heart that you cant afford the running costs if anything goes wrong (they dont call them FAFFS for nothing)

let your head rule your heart and keep your immaculate gen 6 mate IMHO :D

If you break it, can I have dibs on the exhaust system? :twisted:

I guess it's all down to what you're after, I haven't read the other posts but if you're after something faster, a lot faster than a GT 4 is the answer. I did see your other post on making it faster and without spending loads I guess there's not really much else you can do unless you're happy to spend a lot and get a small gain. There was a post about a supercharger from Se7en on the gen 6 forum.

Obviously everyone is different and all but if it means taking a loan out I would say don't do it.... I think your car looks bloody awesome. But it's up to you. Taking out a loan was the worst thing I have ever done. Thank god I don't have it anymore! Incidentally the loan is was for my current motor. I have had it for absolutely years and it doesn't owe me anything but I shudder to think what would have happened if it went bang a while after buying it.... The loan wouldn't have gone away.....

Up to you though. I'm starting to sound like my dad..... And errrr he was a bank manager.... He was also right ;)

Right i've decided,keep the car.Save some money. 3SGTE it later on when you got the money.260BHP out of the box with no silly overboost problems,standard ECU,decat and a quality exhaust.Pleeenty fast enough,and you can go for a LSD later maybe .The cars darn well almost a GT4 anyway,just needs a bit of fire in its belly.If it was a run of the mill GT i wouldnt bother,but you got a sweet solid car that looks really nice,ssIII goodness and a shitload of sentiment.Sorted.If youre going to understeer,do it in style.

I was going to get rid of mine ,but it just didn't feel right and it's better the devil you know sometimes..

you must not have felt right about it from the start, pretending your looking for a GT4 for someone else :P

I'd say keep it, with the costs of petrol going the way they are a GT-Four would cost far too much to run. Looks a very tidy example, take some time to enjoy it for what it is :)

Is there no way you can keep your present very nice car and buy a cheaper GT4 that needs some work, but that is a good runner. Then restore the GT4 back to standard (not spending a fortune) and then flip a coin to see which to keep.

Steve :)

I know exactly where your coming from, I own a GT and feel the need for more power sometimes but love my car.

Yours knocks spots off mine! It's proper sexy :o

you seem like the kinda guy who likes it right and nothing else will do, own a GT4 with no spare pocket money when she needs it? Sleepless nights if you catch my drift.

Unless you can afford to buy a GT4 as a luxury and keep your stunning GT as a daily runner then i'd have to vote NO!

That being said you can pick up some quality Gen 5 GT4's for peanuts!

That's what i'm looking at

Check this out :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/unmodified-toyota-celica-gt4-turbo-widebody-/250915095409?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a6bb48371

I have come from a gt4 to a Gt.

okay so it was a gen 4, but it was a proper GT4..

The cars are worlds apart, the power, the delivery, the stabilty and the traction.

But run one on a limited budget and it really really helps to be handy with the spanners tbh. Or know some one who is.

But they are fantastic cars.

Ive had two GT's before I got the faff and there's no comparison. I'd always fancied a GT4 because... Well, It's a GT4, but never expected it to be this good, it's a love affair but be prepared to empty your wallet. I'd say if you haven't yet driven a GT4 then drive one, and a good one, you will never look back, they are totally addictive and I've driven and owned a lot of tasty motors over the years but this is something special. it's hard to explain until you've spent some time with one but other owners will probably agree with me.

I know exactly where your coming from, I own a GT and feel the need for more power sometimes but love my car.

Yours knocks spots off mine! It's proper sexy :o

you seem like the kinda guy who likes it right and nothing else will do, own a GT4 with no spare pocket money when she needs it? Sleepless nights if you catch my drift.

Unless you can afford to buy a GT4 as a luxury and keep your stunning GT as a daily runner then i'd have to vote NO!

That being said you can pick up some quality Gen 5 GT4's for peanuts!

That's what i'm looking at

Check this out :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/unmodified-toyota-celica-gt4-turbo-widebody-/250915095409?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a6bb48371

thanks for your comments its intresting to read and see what people say,but your right i am a guy that likes it bang on right and gotta be the best i can get it or i think about it all the time,its really important to me when it comes to cars,and ive made this gt best i can so far,if i keep it ill go down the route of hks super header and a re build and maybe gt4 conversion,it already has the hks system and de cat,as you say its more a less a gt4 but just hasnt got the engine or 4wd.

Right i've decided,keep the car.Save some money. 3SGTE it later on when you got the money.260BHP out of the box with no silly overboost problems,standard ECU,decat and a quality exhaust.Pleeenty fast enough,and you can go for a LSD later maybe .The cars darn well almost a GT4 anyway,just needs a bit of fire in its belly.If it was a run of the mill GT i wouldnt bother,but you got a sweet solid car that looks really nice,ssIII goodness and a shitload of sentiment.Sorted.If youre going to understeer,do it in style.

seems to be a good idea that does,how much do you think i would be looking at? and what bits and bobs would i need? also where would be good place to take it for the conversion,and are they any members on here that have done it before? i was thinking maybe i could do re build and run nos? like 50 bhp shot?

Is there no way you can keep your present very nice car and buy a cheaper GT4 that needs some work, but that is a good runner. Then restore the GT4 back to standard (not spending a fortune) and then flip a coin to see which to keep.

Steve :)

not really got the money to do that mate :( however you never know i may win the lottery,if i do ill buy you all a new turbo lol

I'd say keep it, with the costs of petrol going the way they are a GT-Four would cost far too much to run. Looks a very tidy example, take some time to enjoy it for what it is :)

this is what worrys me petrols going up like no tommorrow :(

Edited by looney

I loved my GT as much as you, most people said I was crazy selling it only one of my close friends was encouraging so that's the only person I listened to because deep down its what i wanted. So i will say the same for you because it seems like your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Buy a GT4, you know you want to, thers no better feeling than getting the edge over on your mates r33gtst.

I loved my GT as much as you, most people said I was crazy selling it only one of my close friends was encouraging so that's the only person I listened to because deep down its what i wanted. So i will say the same for you because it seems like your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Buy a GT4, you know you want to, thers no better feeling than getting the edge over on your mates r33gtst.

whats your thoughts on taking loans out tho for cars?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.